LegacyGT.com

2.5i Lt: how to drive properly the shift?

I am not used to stick shift. I tried to drive the stick shift option on my 2.5i limited-whenver I try to slow down shifting to lower gear, the car jumped forward a bit. Could anyone tell me the general rule of using the shift? I am afraid if I use it improperly, I will damage the engine.

The manual says, I could shift to lower gear to slow down the car so sustain brake's life(meaning not using brakes, but by shifting to lower gear). Is it true? Not sure how to use it. So far, from stop to start, going uphill, i use 1 or 2; going faster or down hill, i use 3 or 4. Then if I need to slow down because of red light, i will shift back to 2 or 1. This is when the jump happens.

Now I am using the Sports D version instead. Any difference between Sports D and shifting myself? Regular D is rather slow to start-is it true on your car too?

Any insights? Tons of thanks!

The manual says, I could shift to lower gear to slow down the car so sustain brake's life(meaning not using brakes, but by shifting to lower gear). Is it true? Not sure how to use it. So far, from stop to start, going uphill, i use 1 or 2; going faster or down hill, i use 3 or 4. Then if I need to slow down because of red light, i will shift back to 2 or 1. This is when the jump happens.

Just use your breaks if you're under 30mph, don't worry about constantly shifting to lower gears. And never shift into 1st gear while slowing down (wait until you're fully stopped to do that).

Don't use the transmission to try and sustain the brake pad's life. What would you rather pay for, new brakes or a new transmission?

Lol this is another case of people thinking they're Michael Schumacher trying to conserve fuel and win the race at the pit stops.

Brother a few peices of advice:

1) Find a buddy with an older manual car and take it for a spin. Legacy (at least my 05 GT) was pretty finicky to drive at first so you may wanna hone your skills on another machine

2) Use with lots of trust those brakes. Brake pads on the GT will last 30-40,000 miles. Just replaced mine at 25,000 and had about 50% left in them. What precisely are you trying to do ? Save brakepad life ? or transmission ?

3) No need to use 1st gear all that much. Unless going < 10-15 mph or standstill starts, just keep it in second or higher gears. And do not engine brake. It is pretty useless and will reduce your transmission life. You may wanna consider rev-matching which is probably what you want to do in the first place - changing gears to match a certain rpm range and speed - but do not downshift with the purpose of slowing down the car.

Oh wait...you have an automatic don't you ? Sports D and what not ? Too lazy to delete what I wrote but most things still apply. Have faith in your brakes or else engine braking will break your Xmission eventually.

I am not used to stick shift. I tried to drive the stick shift option on my 2.5i limited-whenver I try to slow down shifting to lower gear, the car jumped forward a bit. Could anyone tell me the general rule of using the shift? I am afraid if I use it improperly, I will damage the engine.

Now I am using the Sports D version instead. Any difference between Sports D and shifting myself? Regular D is rather slow to start-is it true on your car too?

Any insights? Tons of thanks!

you have a slow 4eat. just stick it in d and drive the damn thing.

Wow, I guess I missed where he was talking about the 4eat. My bad. +1 on the advice from whitetiger.

Yep, he said he was using sport shift and putting it in D and has a 2.5i which means he has a 4eat. That makes any attempt at sport driving pointless as far as i'm concerned.

I am not used to stick shift. I tried to drive the stick shift option on my 2.5i limited.....

i prefer the DD myself, i find it much easier to manage the large curves.......

:lol:

But seriously, I wonder why the Impreza doesn't also get the "sport" shift? It's the same tranny right?

Friends don't let friends drink cheap beer.

The "sport" drive actually just holds gears longer both while upshifting and down...I like it.

/threadjack/

hey stan...I'm right near you in WC!....you wouldnt want to sell me the trailer connector out of your wagon would you?:redface:

/threadjack/

Archived