LegacyGT.com

newbie to scoobies...

Thunderstruck

i have not bought one as of yet...but seriously thinking about the legacy gt 2.5 (cause same motor in the wrx) or the Spec B...but i really need to be schooled about this...know i know people are going to say to review previous threads...but i have already spent 3 hours trying to look through everything and coming up with more questions then answers...

so i guess i will simplify this as much as possable...

i dont want the 6 banger cause i will do light mods to the car and prefer the power of turbo since its easier to upgrade power, like with boost controlers and timers and cai and exhaust mods...

and yes, if there are people in the chicagoland area that recognize the screen name...yes it is me..im very well known on about 5 forums here in the area...im looking for a daily driver to replace my current driver (95 galant)...im looking at 2 vehicles pretty much at this point and need to know the good and bad with the scoobie models...the other car im looking at is the scion Xb (yea yea i know, 2 different types of cars, but really leaning towards scoobies cause of AWD...

so here is my questions...

1. what common probs r there with the 2.5 gt or spec b models?

2. if i do go the 2.5 way,what should i look for to get options wise and what to avoid?

3. what type of tire do you guys recommend as i live in chicagoland area and will need good tires...will prolly get summer tires down the line, but need good tires for the nasty winters here when they come around...

4. what should i look to avoid to put on the car to boost power to avoid "killing" warrenties?i will avoid schaumburg subaru just cause i have heard nothing but horrable things when it comes to dealing with that dealer...whether its buying, or servicing cars from them...

5. what basic mods are best for easy power gains for the car? i know that 93 oct is bare min for the car, so cheaper the better mods will be what im looking for...

6. if i buy used, what should i look for to avoid getting screwed over from someone thats highly modded the car, but changed stuff out to make it easier to sell back to the dealer?

the reason im looking at the scion is that i want toyota reliability, but suburu is right there with them from what i have been reading...im going to be looking from 2004 and up at this point cause i want an as close to new car as possable...

i know this is a bit detailed in questions, but wanted you guys to see that im seriously interested in the legacy...i dont want the wrx model (even the wagon) cause im 5' 11" and about 225...i sat in the impreza and was not comfortable in it and want something that fits me comfortably and also can fit my 125 akita dog in the back seat...any directions you guys can point me to, even posting up hyperlinks would be great...i have the car and driver from august next to me and i read the long term test they had and even the upgrades to make it handle like the spec b with the susp upgrades...and its sold me on the car even more then before...

thanks in advance people...

mike...

P.S. also, i have enough H.P. stuff going on now anyways..i have a 97 900rr honda that i ride in good weather and a 69 chevelle ss when i feel like just going out cruizing...

Look for an 06 Spec.B. Great out of the box and vastly underappreciated which equals great bang for your buck nowadays. Definitely test drive it for size.

Get a trailer for the mutt. Can't despoil the brick red leather with a garabage eating, shit rolling, drool machine no matter how hard he wags his tail. :lol:

Bone stock. Great car.

Akitas roll in dead fish, etc.

Get a good cat. Mine doesn't like like riding in the car because I never let him drive. His loss.

Definitely check out the size. I'm your hgt less 30 lbs with a long back and find the seat bolsters nicely snug and supportive when I want them to be . Head room is not an issue. Foot size can be. So can hips.

Your questions are pretty broad. I'd search some more.

The minimum recommended octane for the turbo is 91 and the car can run on 87 if ou want to do it.

There are lots of modifications that are simple and effective yet none that will leave you without warranty worries.

The Chciago area is pretty active with Legacy owners, chsek out the North Central forum and come to a meet and you can see lots of cars with all kinds of modifications and plenty of stock ones as well.

Archived