LegacyGT.com

Just got nitro in my tires

Repsak

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't remember the specifics but I worked it out before - molecular leakage of air in the tire means the N2 concentration rises over time because it's less likely to leak out through the metal and rubber.. but I don't recall how much time.. *shrug* someone with a physics degree can do the math.

Nitrogen is supposedly affected less by temperature fluctuations than normal air. Air has a percentage of water vapor that expands when heated. When a tire is completely filled with nitrogren, the pressure does not go up as much as the tire gets hot. It's easier to dial in the tire pressure regardless of temperature, supposedly. I have not tried nitrogren in my tires yet however.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coelli http://legacygt.com/forums/skynetim/buttons/viewpost.gif

I seem to recall, from the little brochure from Costco a few years ago, that it said nitrogen is not as susceptible to expansion and contraction from temperature changes. *shrug*

-Coelli

That makes no sense ... Nitrogen makes up 78% of air. Why would the properties of air be significantly different than that of nitrogen? Don't listen to the guy who sells tires and 5 gallon jugs of Mayo.

Coelli's statement may be more related to the water that is induced into a tire from an air compressor as oppsed to desiccated nitrogen from a cylinder.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coelli http://legacygt.com/forums/skynetim/buttons/viewpost.gif

I seem to recall, from the little brochure from Costco a few years ago, that it said nitrogen is not as susceptible to expansion and contraction from temperature changes. *shrug*

-Coelli

Coelli's statement may be more related to the water that is induced into a tire from an air compressor as oppsed to desiccated nitrogen from a cylinder.

Yup ... but unless you're racing your car and are predicting the heated pressure of your tires ... it's still a moot point. For real world applications, nitrogen still doesn't make sense. You just won't see the benefit.

In order for the nitrogen to work in your tires effectivly you need 95% or above. I still dont belive that it holds air in the tire, I do belive that it keeps out water vapor and makes the life of your rim and tire last longer, hence why I got it, Hey it was free if it works it works, if not, no big loss, Ill post in another month to see If I have any air loss....

all the costco ones suck btw, they only put in about 85-87% The machine we have actually deflates , then inflates, then deflates then inflates, If you want close to 100% you do the proccess over again. They gave us a nitrogen reader which seems to be pretty accurate. After testing it out on a regular tire that has about 80% nitrogen in it to mine that has 97%...

Nitrogen is supposedly affected less by temperature fluctuations than normal air. Air has a percentage of water vapor that expands when heated. When a tire is completely filled with nitrogren, the pressure does not go up as much as the tire gets hot. It's easier to dial in the tire pressure regardless of temperature, supposedly. I have not tried nitrogren in my tires yet however.

This fact is the only thing I've heard about Nitro in tires. As far as the other claims go, they just don't make sense.

Very close. The pressure of water vapor changes rapidly with temperature, up to a maximum of atmospheric pressure at 100 C - i.e., the water boils. The problem is that the pressure rise with rising tire temperature that is due to the water alone occurs _at a different rate_ than the rise in pressure due to the heating of gases like N2 and O2. SO, the result is that the tire pressure in the race car's tires is not predictable from a room temperature pressure fill.

Then at race temperature you wont know exactly what your tire pressure is because maybe today there's 80 % humidity while yesterday there was 40 % humidity. Wet air would be fine if the air was always the same (absolute) humidity.

So Franz, you win a beer, or a starbucks if you're underage =)

ZinFreak who mentioned the nitrogen dewar deserves a bonus point too - when you liquify air, you can actually distil out the various components and separate pure nitrogen from oxygen, argon, etc.

Since this is done on a massive scale industrially it is cheap enough to use liquid nitrogen to fill the tires. Sounds funny, huh. They take a cylinder of liquid nitrogen, and its boiling slowly, so they draw off that pure gas and put it into the tire and then they can calculate the tire pressure at race temperature.

This fact is the only thing I've heard about Nitro in tires. As far as the other claims go, they just don't make sense.

Usually when car people talk about nitro they are referring to nitrous oxide injection. Why not call the gas nitrogen ?

In order for the nitrogen to work in your tires effectivly you need 95% or above. I still dont belive that it holds air in the tire, I do belive that it keeps out water vapor and makes the life of your rim and tire last longer, hence why I got it, Hey it was free if it works it works, if not, no big loss, Ill post in another month to see If I have any air loss....

You need the low humidity. If you could lower the pressure to less than 1 lb in the tire and then fill the tire with 40 lbs, then you wouldn't have to refil it at all, because you'd have a little more than 2 % air, and maybe 0.1 % water. If they fill the tire to 40 lbs, drop it to 20, and repeat, well, then you see it will take longer.

You wont see any downside to using nitrogen in your tires.

Guest Gitster
And do you really trust a site stating this as a selling point?

http://burnedimage.afraid.org/temp/nascar-nitrogen.jpg

:lol:

Thats hilarious you put a picture of an Indy car and stated that Nascar uses N2.

Screw Nitrogen.. i'm going to fill my tires with Argon :icon_mrgr

i've got a nice tank of it next to my welder downstairs.. just a few tweaks to the lines.....

yeah, use Argon, because it's Inert, and it won't explode when a tire goes.. lol.. or.. it won't rust my rims... or.... it's a pain in the ass to put in tires, but stupid people will think it sounds cool, and put it in :icon_wink

I filled wmy tires with H20 at the service station. The guy said I wouldn't have to worry about any air leaks. I think he's right.. I trust his knowledge, because he informed me to get spring air last year around March..It was wll worth the 30.00 I paid him.

My prediction is that all new cars will eventually come with it, because soccer moms and their murse-carrying husbands don't check the air in their SUV tires, causing blow outs and roll overs.

Some ambulance-chasing lawyer will claim negligence because the vehicle didn't come with nitro, win a billion, and then all cars will come with it.

I believe there are already regulations in place to phase-in manditory on-board tire pressure monitors.

that is the most accurate answer. well done. bosco

Stay Stock Stay Happy

Archived