LegacyGT.com

2006 Spec B XM radio

VanillaEps

I'm having the dealer install a factory XM radio on my 2006 Spec B. From pictures, I see that the exixting 2006 radio does not have a SAT button. Do they install that upon the XM installation? Has anyone else done this? The button exists, it just does not have the SAT written on it. Is it functional?

On a 2006, the bottom part of the head unit's four-way mode button is not functional. Nor is the radio XM ready. 2007 was the first year for satellite radio functionality in USDM Subarus.

I'm not sure how your dealer expects to install it, unless they're planning on switching out the whole unit for a 2007 - an expensive proposition for a dealer.

phoenix96

2006 Legacy GT Ltd · 2011 Outback 3.6R Ltd · 1992 SVX

2006 Outback 3.0R VDC · 2009 Forester 2.5X

2002 Outback VDC · 1996 Outback 2.5L · 1986 GL-10

On a 2006, the bottom part of the head unit's four-way mode button is not functional. Nor is the radio XM ready. 2007 was the first year for satellite radio functionality in USDM Subarus.

I'm not sure how your dealer expects to install it, unless they're planning on switching out the whole unit for a 2007 - an expensive proposition for a dealer.

The Spec.B uses statellite reception for the NAV. Would that be what they are tapping into?

I know its going to cost a lot of money. But, I'm willing to pay if they can make it as OEM as possible. Meaningm, I'd like to be able to control the XM through the OEM HU and see the stations and name of the songs, etc. If the HU is not XM radio, how would/can it be installed in the 2006?

Can't switch out to an 07 HU unless you have a new harness. The 07 radio wiring harness is different from the 05/06. So it's not just a plug and play type thing. :(

If the HU is not XM radio, how would/can it be installed in the 2006?

It can't be. The only way to install an XM radio and be able to control it from the head unit is to get a head unit from a 2007 and swap it into the 2006, and as I said before that'll be an expensive thing for a dealer to do.

I'd check with the dealership to see what exactly they are doing.

phoenix96

ooh.. my bad. I thought a member had or was in the process of doing this with minimal difficulty.

To the OP,

I would double-check that the dealer is being honest. They may be just jury-rigging a hard wired FM modulator and not tell you.

Some dealerships are really shady.

Well if someone is skilled in electrical engineering or an audio expert, they could create a plug and play harness, but from what I have seen, the 07 HU will not work without modification.

Well the dealer was not specific at all. In fact, the sales manager does not seem to be the most savvy individual around. When I asked him about installing an XM radio, he said that the dealer would be able to install it. I didn't ask any further questions.

For those of you with 2006's and satellite radio, how did you guys go about doing such a thing...???

The only practical options are installing something like a Skyfi, XM Commander, Roady2, etc, and using either an FM modulator or a Jazzy board and "blank" CD. There's no way to control the satellite radio through the OEM head unit though.

phoenix96

Archived