LegacyGT.com

for the love of......

Colonel Angus

ok, so as of late, i've grown to hate washing the legacy...or any car for that matter, for one single reason: water stains. maybe i'm slow when it comes to wiping down the leg or the jeep, but everything seems to dry quickly. and there they are...those pesky water stains...especially on the glass. with that being said, how the hell do i get these damn water stains out? i was out today giving the leg a well deserved wash, only to have waterstains mock me on all the glass, and even on parts of the car like the roof. thoughts? suggestions?

I soak down the entire car with a good spray nozzle and sometimes used the above trick with the hose to let it run down the contours of the car. I have some huge microfiber drying towels that work really well. They are a waffle weave, which is good for drying. I also use "The Absorber" which is a synthetic drying cloth. I keep "The Absorber" in my car at all times.

Using a clay bar is not a solution to prevent water spots. You shouldn't use a clay bar very often, otherwise you'll do more damage than good. I myself use the California Car Blade, then touch up the rest of the car with a chamois. You must obviously make sure to completely wet the chamois first, otherwise it's going to be a little more difficult to dry the car. The California Car Blade really saves me a lot of time when it comes to drying the car. It's basically a silica blade that you use to take 90% of the water off of the car. As someone said before, you can also take off all nozzles from the hose, that will help you get a cleaner rinse.

I have always wondered if someone were to purchase a new squirt gun, like a super soaker, and fill it with filtered water. Then pump it up and soak down the entire car after washing. We have a water filter on our sink that lasts for gallons and gallons and gallons, but I have never tried using that to rinse off the car. heh

Not a bad idea Franz since it's the hardness of the water that causes spotting so a final rinse with good water should help a lot. I have a suggestion, wash your car while it's raining, that way all you really need to do is soap it down and then watch nature rinse it off. Of course your air quality will have something to do with the purity of the rain water in your area.

[quote name='Gumby']Not a bad idea Franz since it's the hardness of the water that causes spotting so a final rinse with good water should help a lot. I have a suggestion, wash your car while it's raining, that way all you really need to do is soap it down and then watch nature rinse it off. Of course your air quality will have something to do with the purity of the rain water in your area.[/QUOTE] But then applying 12 coats of zanio becomes a bitch ...:D

My cousin uses a large (its about 4 ft long) charcoal/floss canister filter with a hose input and output designed from water purification on boats. He loves it for washing the car, and refilling the hot tub with soft water. Might be just what your looking for.

Archived