LegacyGT.com

Legacy options...basic info

TeeLoo, there are two types of headlight design: Reflector, which is precisely as it sounds, in that it takes the output from a bulb, usually the ineffective, ignominious 9007, and bounces it off a specially-designed reflector to throw light onto the road. Properly-designed reflectors, such as those in Volvos, can be very effective, but these usually have H-series bulbs, instead of 9000-series ones. Projector beams use a lens to more precisely focus and augment the light output, much like the effect of sun through a magnifying glass, something that we all used to play with as children. Projector housings are also the basis for an HID system, which is why you can see them being offered in the future for the Legacy. Just drop them in and off you go. Reflector and projector beam patterns are also different. Reflector beams tend to have a diffuse wall of light, where projector beams have a sharp beam pattern and cutoff, something like this ___/ to keep the beam intensity from becoming annoying to oncoming motorists. Misadjusted versions of both can be annoying, but projectors more so. European cars have a manual headlight dipping switch, so that you can tilt the lights down to keep from blinding oncoming traffic. USDM cars don't get that because frankly, we're considered (rightly so, I might add) too careless to know what to do with such a feature. Your pictured beam is the Legacy projector lens, behind which sits your halogen bulb. The Legacy lights are also supposed to have some sort of augmentation system, which makes them even more effective. We'll know soon. Kevin

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote name='dimil']Yes, That's a projector. [img]http://subaru.com.au/explore/liberty/images/exterior/23246/4.jpg[/img] and this is Garnet Red Pearl according to [url]http://subaru.com.au/explore/liberty/[/url][/quote] Ohhh, yeah. Come to Papa. Kevin

[quote name='gtguy'] Reflector and projector beam patterns are also different. Reflector beams tend to have a diffuse wall of light, where projector beams have a sharp beam pattern and cutoff, something like this ___/ to keep the beam intensity from becoming annoying to oncoming motorists. Misadjusted versions of both can be annoying, but projectors more so. European cars have a manual headlight dipping switch, so that you can tilt the lights down to keep from blinding oncoming traffic. USDM cars don't get that because frankly, we're considered (rightly so, I might add) too careless to know what to do with such a feature. Kevin[/quote] In my Evo, I do have the manual dipping switch. I like it a lot, actually! It is a very neat feature. I aim the lights down when I am in the city and don't need them much, and back up when I am in the country or on the highway. Very effective! I have seen it on one other USDM car, but can't recall which right now. Sorry!

As far as missing HID's... I can say that I would truly miss HID's if I got the new Legacy! I have them now on my Evo. :) Now when I drive anyone else's car at night, it feels so dim! I would have liked to have seen HID's as an option. And yes, I would have been able to afford them. If I buy the Leg... I will probably upgrade to HIDs asap (not a crappy fake set... but a real HID system). As far as the navigation system, $2000 is a lot for a map when you can just stop in the local Exxon, etc and buy a local map for $5. Imagine how many maps you could have! :P I honestly wouldn't use it enough to justify the price. The only way I would want the Nav is if it included something else with it. The McIntosh would go the same way as the Nav for me. I wouldn't need it. I am happy with my Evo's sound system, which, quite frankly, is not very good. In the car, I don't require too much. It just has to get loud enough when I want it to and have a CD changer. The CAR is the real audio system for me! :D My old Leg GT had a great sound system in it, and it definitely was not McIntosh. I think it was Panasonic. It still sounded great to me. :)

[quote name='cotmfk']My old Leg GT had a great sound system in it, and it definitely was not McIntosh. I think it was Panasonic. It still sounded great to me. :)[/quote] It was Panasonic, and it was excellent, indeed. Better than anything Subaru has offered since. Kevin

i'm soo looking foward till june when my local dealer is gettin'em i dont really care about options right now cause i cant decide which color to choose from :lol:

Perrin BIG maf intake

Perrin Turbo Inlet

HKS SSQV BOV

Megan Racing header with UP (ceramic coated)

HKS DP (WRX)

DMH E-cutout

Custom 3" catback

UTEC

[quote name='gtguy'][quote name='cotmfk']My old Leg GT had a great sound system in it, and it definitely was not McIntosh. I think it was Panasonic. It still sounded great to me. :)[/quote] It was Panasonic, and it was excellent, indeed. Better than anything Subaru has offered since. Kevin[/quote] Damn, that's too bad. Did they retain their relationship with Panasonic, or did they drop them and pick up McIntosh?

[quote name='gtguy']Reflector, which is precisely as it sounds, in that it takes the output from a bulb, usually the ineffective, ignominious 9007, and bounces it off a specially-designed reflector to throw light onto the road. Properly-designed reflectors, such as those in Volvos, can be very effective, but these usually have H-series bulbs, instead of 9000-series ones. Projector beams use a lens to more precisely focus and augment the light output, much like the effect of sun through a magnifying glass, something that we all used to play with as children. Projector housings are also the basis for an HID system, which is why you can see them being offered in the future for the Legacy. Just drop them in and off you go. Reflector and projector beam patterns are also different. Reflector beams tend to have a diffuse wall of light, where projector beams have a sharp beam pattern and cutoff, something like this ___/ to keep the beam intensity from becoming annoying to oncoming motorists. [/quote] Kevin, thanks for your great and educational explanations. I do remember burning ants with a magnifying glass when I was a kid... :twisted:

2005 Legacy GT Wagon Ltd 5EAT Garnet Red :cool:

1999 GTI VR6 Black - sold but not forgotten... :(

[quote name='cotmfk'][quote name='gtguy'][quote name='cotmfk']My old Leg GT had a great sound system in it, and it definitely was not McIntosh. I think it was Panasonic. It still sounded great to me. :)[/quote] It was Panasonic, and it was excellent, indeed. Better than anything Subaru has offered since. Kevin[/quote] Damn, that's too bad. Did they retain their relationship with Panasonic, or did they drop them and pick up McIntosh?[/quote] As far as I know, Subaru North America still has a relationship with Panasonic. The audio gear in the WRX is by Panasonic. Ditto for the other Legacies, except for the high-line Outback, which has a McIntosh system. In the UK, they get Kenwood, which is rather unfortunate. :lol: Kevin

[quote name='gtguy']Personally, I'm thinking red wagon with taupe leather interior, no sunroof, thank you. :D [/quote] You have good taste -- that's exactly what I plan on getting! Personally I wouldn't get HID or NAV if they were options. Too expensive. I'm all about the driving experience at low cost. $3k is more than 10% of the price of the car. Way too much for bright lights and a fancy map.

[quote name='gurpman'][quote name='gtguy']Personally, I'm thinking red wagon with taupe leather interior, no sunroof, thank you. :D [/quote] You have good taste -- that's exactly what I plan on getting! Personally I wouldn't get HID or NAV if they were options. Too expensive. I'm all about the driving experience at low cost. $3k is more than 10% of the price of the car. Way too much for bright lights and a fancy map.[/quote] Now, given the weights posted elsewhere, I'm thinking no leather, just the black cloth. The manual wagon with cloth, no sunroof, is 3050 lbs. In Limited trim, it's 3250! :o Kevin

[quote name='gurpman']The 200 pounds has to be almost all sunroof right? I don't want the sunroof, just the leather. Will that not be an option?[/quote] As I understand it, leather and sunroof are packaged, and are available on the Limited trim line. The base GT comes with cloth, and no sunroof, which is fine with me. Leather is pretty heavy, also. I was thinking about a Limited in manual, but 200 lbs is a LOT. Kevin

The question is, are we talking from base 2.5i to 2.5GT Limited trim? I could see that as the JDM models were something similar to that line. However, from base 2.5GT to GT Limited, I seriously doubt that figure.

If I get this car, it will be fully optioned out. One of my very few reasons for switching would be to get the luxury! So, that 200lbs. doesn't seem so bad. This car will be meant to be my luxo cruiser. Cross country at 100 the whole way! (Ha ha, only half kidding. :twisted: )

[quote name='SUBE555']The question is, are we talking from base 2.5i to 2.5GT Limited trim? I could see that as the JDM models were something similar to that line. However, from base 2.5GT to GT Limited, I seriously doubt that figure.[/quote] The weight difference is from 2.5i to 2.5i Limited, to keep all variables constant. Leather and sunroof are heavy, indeed. Kevin

That sounds like too much exra weight. I'd say maybe 100-150lbs in a given wagon or sedan trim, but maybe it's all those extra seat motors and stuff too. Glad I'm going for as little of that stuff as possible.

I'd expect that limited package would add about 100-120 lb don't forget in the other tread bigest weght difference between NA and turbo version of a car. Turbo itself, piping also make some differences. Check difference between 2.0i and 2.0GT Considering that perforated leather available on GT limited - that should be a bit less than regular leather.

Archived