LegacyGT.com

off road/driving lights..anybody have them?

bofer84

hey guys/girls. Just wondering if anybody has mounted extra driving lights in the lower grill and or, if you have a modified grill, behind the wire mesh some how of the leggie gt? I think it would be pretty cool, and give you much better lighting when you need brights!!

I put some driving lights on when I go to the mountains.

They're only mounted temporary cause I have to remove the grill to put them on...

I use the screw holes for the grill to mount a bar that I use to mount the lights too.

I'll look and see if I have any pics...

I've definately thought about it, and would love to see some pictures...

It'd be great if we could get a rally-esque light bar for our cars (there's a thread about this in the OB forum), but I'd also be interested in seeing some lights mounted in a modified grill, especially if they could be set back so they didn't protrude too much. A look like the driving lights on newer Mustangs, but with added Legacy sexiness.

I saw an Audi wagon packing a set of four big lights across the roof bars on the freeway yesterday. Anybody done that to their Legacy? I remember seeing a guy on nasioc that did that...somewhere in this thread.

~Zach

sorry...this forum practically blows goat nuts so im not always on here.
Team Pony Express

POSTED FROM MY COMPUTER USING A WEB BROWSER

What i was thinking was that, with a modified grill, (the crapy silver line going across being removed and the black mesh being inserted) you could actually fab a bar up behind the grill, mount some lights on that, as long as they were not to big, and then put the mesh grill infront of the lights. Whalla, completely sexy look, infact, it looks pretty much stock, but once you flip your brights on, those puppies come on and WoW, night to day. Think this is possible or would the heat get to the parts of the grill??

how about those pics

I don't really have any experience with high-powered driving lights, but I was under the impression there were some cooling requirements. I've seen mentions on the nasioc lighting thread about not having some of the bigger lamps on while not moving, for example. I might opt for the futher-forward placement just so there'd be a bit more airflow around the lights, and they'd be further from the radiator.

As for the heat affecting the grill, I think that would depend on what kind of mesh you used for the grill. My gut tells me that a cheap plastic gutter guard might get droopy on you, but I don't think there'd be any risk of melting any metal mesh you might use.

What does appeal to me about your idea is the extra protection that the grill would give the lights from rocks. I'd be pretty bummed if I spent some change on nice driving lights, then had a truck kick a rock through the lens.

~Zach

Team Pony Express

Aczwild, I have to say, I fantasize about flashing your lights at people who cut me off. I feel I might abuse the power :icon_twis. Very nice!

Crash, any luck finding pictures of your setup? What kind of lights do you have?

I'm wondering if a pair of Hella FF300s might fit in the grill opening (sans grill)...too lazy to go out and measure it right now...

~Zach

Team Pony Express

I'm going to have to take some more pics....

Maybe I can get to it this weekend....

My setup is admittedly rather ghetto because I only use it 2-3 times per year (so I couldn't justify sinking 100's of dollars into it).

I used two sets (4 lights total) of Optilux 1500's from http://www.rallylights.com/Optilux/optilux_1500.asp.

I may add a pair of FF1000's in the future, but they may have the Halo effect and throw a bunch of light back in my face. The beauty of my setup now is that the lights are all mounted right at the headlight level and they are not above the hood level (which tends to throw a bunch of light back at your eyes).

Not on my OBXT.. but when the impreza was in proper working order (Before the tranny blewup) i had it looking like this:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/data/500/LF1.jpg

The big guys on the tube bumper are Lightforce 170's the top ones on the bar was cheapo' walmart 'baja' lights, and there's a set of smaller KC's under the light forces, next to the liscence plate.

Let's just say you didn't want to have your high beams on coming at me at night :icon_mrgr

I'm working on making a bracket for the factory racks for the Lightforces.. the little guys will stay on the impreza for now :icon_bigg

Archived