LegacyGT.com

Would you buy a Legacy GT with an aftermarket clutch?

Aftermarket clutch is:  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Aftermarket clutch is:

• a plus
    • a minus

I'll be posting my LGT up for sale probably this month. It has an aftermarket ACT clutch with a lightweight flywheel, which makes the clutch pedal stiffer, gives you more feedback (both positive and negative), but overall makes driving IMHO more enjoyable. I'm contemplating changing this setup to an OEM clutch, which I would rather not do (to save $$$), but may need to not to scare off potential purchasers. Should I do the clutch swap before I sell the car?

i would. a potential buyer is going to wonder why it has an aftermarket clutch. was it raced? what else is done to it i don't know about? people are crazy like that. any dealer will tell you any aftermarket performance part is a minus.

Agreed. I think to most of the people on this board it might be a bonus, for we are performance minded, however Tom and sue looking to buy it for their graduating son might think otherwise.

I'd however just keep it in.

An ACT clutch is very noticably heavier than stock, no real way of hiding it's presence. For most buyers an aftermarket clutch is a red flag. It suggests that the car was driven hard or modded. Very few buyers want pre-modded cars. Some do though, but you narrow your audience considerably.

I honestly don't know...

If I were buying it, I already knew before I bought the car that there were clutch complaints, so I wouln't necessarily mind an aftermarket improvement.

If I didn't know about these cars already, I might think it a sign of hard-driving, and think twice. It probably wouldn't be a deal breaker, though.

why would anyone hate a lightweight flywheel??

not that many people would see it as an improvement, but more as a repair cuz they will assume you fried the stock clutch, which then they'll assume you are a bad driver, then conclude that the car has been badly driven.

I'd say OEM then sell the ACT in the classifieds here. lol

Risk/reward analysis: there is a 100% chance that swapping will cost you a few hundred bucks. There is a 50% chance the swapping will add a few hundred bucks to the resale value of the car as compared to what you'd get without swapping. So probably swapping is a losing proposition.

If the buyer doesn't ask about the clutch feel, don't mention it.

If the buyer does ask, just tell them you liked the clutch feel in your previous (or your friend's) (more sporty) car, and had this one adjusted to get a similar feel. Not "yeah man, it launches bad-ass now, weaux!!" but just "now it has a clutch feel that I am more comfortable with."

Don't make a big deal out of it, and it shouldn't affect the deal.

If the potential buyer asks about it, I would say you consulted the dealer about the putrid smell coming from it when it gently slips, and then said a different brand would get rid of that smell.

I wouldn't say "aftermarket" but rather a "different brand fixed the smell". So you had it installed as a convenience and not because you are a spirited driver. :)

enough zip ties and duct tape will fix anything.

Just drove my car home and didn't feel that the clutch was stiff at all. Now I'm re-thinking my decision to swap the clutch. What to do???? :confused:

You don't think the ACT is heavy because you are used to it. A potential buyer has likely test driven a new car at a dealer, but is now trying to save a few bucks by buying used. They will notice the difference.

Here's the thing, the poll is about 50-50. What you have to understand is they guys on the is forum do not represent the general public. We are preformance enthusiats. An aftermarket clutch is a potential plus for someone who wants to mod the car. If all you are trying to do is sell the car on this forum, leave the ACT in. However, there are a heck of a lot more people out there that are not on this forum and are not necessarily as performance oriented. Narrowing your potential market is never a good idea. To top that off, people buying stuff on forums usually are more price educated/aware buyers and usually do not pay top dollar.

As an example, when I was selling my wife's Mazda6 I put it up on Mazda6club.com. I used to post there quite a bit. Listed it for $11,900. It sat around for a month with no offers. Listed it in the Autotrader for $13,500 and sold it in one week for full asking price, and had another guy begging me to sell it to him at full price after I had commited to the first buyer.

Stock cars move best in the used car market. Modded cars move much slower and with less return on the performance parts, than if the car was taken back to stock and the mods sold separately. Sometimes you can luck out and find the right buyer, who is will to pay your price for the car as-is, but you'll likely be waiting a while.

Boost is right. Took me nearly 2 months to find a buyer for my Honda that was serious and willing to pay my asking price. Oddly enough that guy saw my car on a computer forum. And you're right, Honda forum people were offering 25% less than what I was asking and most of the responses from classifieds were people wanting to trade.

At any rate, that car was modded far beyond a clutch;)

Archived