LegacyGT.com

12V in passenger compartment??

metalac

Hey guys,

I'm trying to install a carputer and I will be using the Carnetix P-1900 power supply. Basically I need access to a 12V wire and also a place to hook into the ignition and of course a place to ground somewhere. Do you know of a place in the car that will have convenient locations of these 3? I was looking in puting it in the trunk but that would require me to route all those wires the lenght of the car. Now I'm thinking of putting it under the seat, but I'm not sure how hot it gets there due to HVAC and if there is any wires close by anyways? The main 12v wire is supposed to connect to a battery with a 15A fuse, but I'm wondering if there is a wire I could just tie into that's already hooked to a 15A fuse. What are the specs on the auxilary power inside the armrest? If anybody has any idea where these are placed i'd be thankful.

What I did with my sub, I ordered a forward and reverse adapter so I can just wire it in w/out splicing any cables. There is a +12v to the radio (Blue I think), Ignition (Yellow I think), and ground (black). I would have to double check the diagram for which is which. I routed the cable under the carpet from the radio to the trunk under the center console and under the carpet, then under the seat bottom and then into the trunk. The hardest part was getting the cable under the carpet for the short lenght it was.

Ben (2014 Outback SAP w/ eyesite, 2014 Tribeca Limited, 2006 LGT limited sedan)

Subaru Ambassador PNW

I ran a wire directly to the battery with an inline fuse, wasn't too difficult. Then again I thought I might eventually go up to a 150W PSU which could consume ~180w (~15a @ 12v) and possibly add a 4/5 channel amp!

How did this wire go through the firewall? is there a convenient spot? Also where did you hook up the wire at the battery? did you just wrap it around the battery connector or something totally else?

ZinFreak took a good picture of it:

http://www.sonic.net/zinfreak/images/DSCN0907.JPG

in this tread: http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?p=609318 #25

I think the 5EATs have a couple more openings available, on the 5MT you'll have to pull the mat behind the IC away to see the hole but it's there.

For the battery connection I got good size spade terminal as part of the car amp wiring kit. It was cheapest way to get the in line fuse, 8 AWG wire, and smaller hook up wire I needed (~$20). I'd definitely recommend a cheap "amp wiring kit" For your app you definitely shouldn't need 8 awg, 12 awg should be enough.

Archived