LegacyGT.com

Suby bug deflector.....

bskey

Has anyone sucessfully removed the 'SUBARU' lettering from their bug deflector. It's off center and it sticks out. I tried Goo-B-Gone, but had no success. I have considered the extreme of painting it, but dont want to if their is another way. I know this is a little thing, but there's nothing wrong with being meticulous!:icon_bigg

life in spin cycle.....:spin:

What would you use to get the scratches out from sanding, to 're-buff' the plastic? A sticker is an option, though I'd like to keep it clean and simple.

Get a really fine sand paper and use rubbing compound. Wet sanding would be perfect. Try it first on an area which is not visible when installed like the part that goes underneath the hood.

i did, ive removed it and neither my brother nor my father notices the difference. i couldnt stand the white letters sticking out on my otherwise BLACK car.

i wet sanded LIGHTLY with 2000 grit sand paper, then i used 3m polishing compound (got it at wallmart, black or grey bottle) and buffed it. all this was done by hand and the polishing compound has some carnuba wax in it so it was shinyyy when done, and still remains shiny now almost 4 months later

Nice! Thanks for the advice. ok, so I am a bit naieve when it comes to surface finishing, but could you explain a bit more on how wet sanding is done, and what you used to buff it (just a shammy cloth, or what?) I would really appreciate it!

Nice! Thanks for the advice. ok, so I am a bit naieve when it comes to surface finishing, but could you explain a bit more on how wet sanding is done, and what you used to buff it (just a shammy cloth, or what?) I would really appreciate it!

from what mattszeto is saying, he didn't wet sand it and it looks good. this is something I'm going to try too. hate the lettering on the bug defl.

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

oh sorry if i wasnt clear, i DID wetsand to remove the letters, and then used the finishing compound to make it shiny and not matte like it would be after sand paper.

wet sanding? soak the piece of sand paper in water, wet your surface, and basically keep it wet/soaked such that the water will carry away whatever you have just sanded so that it dosent re scratch the surface. start off pressing LIGHTLY (eh, keyboard key pressure?) and get progressively harder (but dont take too long) untill the lettering comes off. its really easy and quick, took me about 1 min to get the letters off.

what you have left now is a blurry patch that dosent match the rest of the protector. so i took some 3m "shine restore" polishing compound and buffed/rubbed it iwth some cotton cheese cloth i had lying around. my polishing compound has carnuba wax in it so it turned out shiny and smooth after about 2minutes of light circular rubbing.

haha a whole 15minutes MAX project

Well, there are a few projects in line already. In my garage, waiting to be installed, I have:

Invidia full length catted DP(w/matching TDC stage2 tune:))

STi UP

Worx pulley

RBS grille(still needs painting, but otherwise ready)

Whiteline front and rear swaybars

Caliper paint kit

Remove lettering from bugflector

Also have shiftboot, e-brake boot, and console cover OTW from Redline:wub:

I may have to re-prioritize the list some, and knock out those 15 minute ones first!!

Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!

Did it today. Wet sanded it w/2000 grit, then used Mguires PlastiX scratch remover, then used Mguires wax w/ carnuba and buffed it, and it looks better than when I bought it. No marks, but it's kinda cool, at just the right angle and light, you can still see the ghost of the Suby logo. Thanks for all your guidance on this small, yet important project! Also gutted my up pipe and mid pipe today. WOW! I Love the LGT!

heheheh, 15 minutes? i took the i'm-a-poorer-college-student route with my materials.

i was sitting down at the foot of my garage putting on my shoes today, and as i stared into the front of my white salt encrusted deflector, i said quietly to my self: "this car is awesome",

"i gotta hose this down soon"

• 5 months later...
Finally got around to doing this tonight. It was as easy and trouble free as everyone said. Thanks for all the tips!

Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!

Archived