LegacyGT.com

Accident, Help: First Snow, careless me.

Hmm. so toronto had her first snow tonight. Black ice everywhere.

I was unaware of it until i take my car out of the underground parking lot.

First turn was alright. So i thought i could give a bit more gut on the 2nd left turn.

I was wrong. The car was fish-tailing and the Right-Rear wheel hit the curb @ 10mph, almost at a 10 degree angle \|, the rear wheel did not go up the curb, after the shock, and my car immediately gain back the grip after the "bounce".

and after a driving a block or so, I went to check the damage, no body damage, but, ahem... the steel rim was dented.

Driving with that rim does not seem to have any problem, no clucking sound, although ABS kicked in 10 times or so, could it be related?

Although it doenst seem to be a big problem, but the last Accord i totalled, the wheel flied out... I felt extremely uncomfortable due to my careless driving...

I only have 2 pics, hopefully you guys can do a better judgement for me on the following inquiry:

1. Do I need an alignment?

2. Possible Lower arm damage?

3. Rim repairable? Usually how much?

4. Could the tire be damaged? (i'll check tmr once i let the car sit a bit)

Please help me, i feel very unlucky it happened. Especially when i have 5 more exams comming...

---

UPDATE:

I went to the tire shop today, he said the tire is alright, but refuse to fix the rim.

They charged me 80 dollar for a new steel rim, and the car is good to go.

But i doubt the alignment is.

Can i hold on for another 2 weeks until i finish my exam, and then go check up the alignment?

Also, if my alignment is alright, and they dont do it, do I just have to pay for the inspection fee?

---

UPDATE:

More photo...

:(

DSC00018.jpg.9a92127731ae6c731bb35c2a30deba67.jpg

DSC00019.jpg.4ccc814f9803233cf5af82fe126bee75.jpg

DSC00022.jpg.607b5e03eb1cdaf2d40db35f870b30af.jpg

DSC00024.jpg.621da445bf0c3dfc4f411a4b7d497a15.jpg

DSC00026.jpg.5da296f3859829da352d47a87a0c782f.jpg

If you want to make sure. I suggest you take it to the dealer or at least your favorite tire shop. Worse case scenario you have some parts damaged. Best case scenario, new rim and an alignment.

Mind if i ask... how likely is this an optimistic case?

Mind if i ask... how likely is this an optimistic case?

I'd love to tell you 90% but there's really no way for me to know unless I would be looking at your car. The good thing is that you were on steel rims that should have absorbed a bit of the impact...the fact the rim is bent is actually a sign of that.

If you want to make sure. I suggest you take it to the dealer or at least your favorite tire shop. Worse case scenario you have some parts damaged. Best case scenario, new rim and an alignment.

I would suggest this also, Sorry about the car, and good luck with the exams, (espically if its the Anatomy one.)

However hard you hit your Humors its still not funny; Much like my previous statement this situation is the same.

Don't worry . As much as I can see from the photo :

Rim is repairable.

No damages to tyre. But try to inflate it a bit more and check is there any knob on tyre side. Better to use this tyre on rear axle.

To be 100% sure - go to the nearest tyre shop. Or If You fell that is something wrong - unusual sound, car starts to drift and needs adjustment in direction - then go to dealer....

its knock on wood.........

Now you've given yourself 5 years of no sex and badluck with life...... better go run naked over an iced pond while wearing a football helmet and cheering that you wanna f&*& a duck.

are you really an english teacher?

Don't worry . As much as I can see from the photo :

Rim is repairable.

No damages to tyre. But try to inflate it a bit more and check is there any knob on tyre side. Better to use this tyre on rear axle.

To be 100% sure - go to the nearest tyre shop. Or If You fell that is something wrong - unusual sound, car starts to drift and needs adjustment in direction - then go to dealer....

UPDATE:

I went to the tire shop today, he said the tire is alright, but refuse to fix the rim.

Can i hold on for another 2 weeks until i finish my exam, and then go check up the alignment?

Also, if my alignment is alright, and they dont do it, do I just have to pay for the inspection fee?

I would suggest this also, Sorry about the car, and good luck with the exams, (espically if its the Anatomy one.)

However hard you hit your Humors its still not funny; Much like my previous statement this situation is the same.

I dropped the anatomy course. I had enough of it.

Worked too much, studied too little.

Now i am gonna stop working and just study for the 2 weeks. :)

UPDATE:

Concentrate on Your exams, forget about allignment....

But if You are still worry about - chek allignment on straight and even road. While windless weather, drive straight ~80mpg, thel loose hands of wheel . Car must go straight. If it starts to drift - then go check up the alignment?

But if drift is not strong - You can live with that for 2 weeks definetily.

I'm impressed that You'v got correct subaru size rim at first tyre shop.....

But please chek one think - have You got the new rim with the same OFFSET (ET) as others. Difference in offset can cause serious problems.

=O OFFSET!! uhhhh.... How do i know?

ok. i have the damaged rim.. can someone teach me how to measure?

(I went the the same shop i got my snow tire last yr)

So rims are the same. But offset... I totally forgot about it...

Would wrong offset rim fit at all? or just cause bearing problem in long term?

BTW, how could this happen? Is it cause by black ice, or is it that my alignment initially was screwed up enough to cause the slide?

I'd say there were 3 causes- being tired, being surprised by the snow and giving it too much gas on a snowy turn.

Don't feel bad about the tire shop not repairing your wheel, unless they're also a wheel repair shop, which I doubt.

=O OFFSET!! uhhhh.... How do i know?

ok. i have the damaged rim.. can someone teach me how to measure?

(I went the the same shop i got my snow tire last yr)

So rims are the same. But offset... I totally forgot about it...

Would wrong offset rim fit at all? or just cause bearing problem in long term?

Actually I was worry about that ET of You'r new rim is not the same as ET of damaged. If this is the case then could be some problems bacause the suspension system is designed to hold each wheel at

a certain alignment (relative to the other wheels and to the

road) for optimum straight-line stability and cornering performance.

All rims has to be the same size ( not only diameter , but other values too)

Normally ET value is indicated on the rim ( in milimeters) , it is complicated to measure it...

For Legacy ET is 55mm , for Outback 48. Bigger ET value means that rim is moved outwards from standart position. Lower ET means that rim is moved inwards.

So , ET for non-subaru rims offset should be in range 48-55

rim with too big ET could interfere with brake caliper operation

and may cause the tires to rub against the

wheel well housing during turns. Even rim with lower ET fit , it can cause bearing problem in long term ( as You know).

Archived