LegacyGT.com

Navigation

So, anyone got any stories of how their in-car navigation got them out of trouble or how useful it has been? Maybe you used it to find the nearest gas station or maybe to find the nearest McD's for a snack wrap. Anything. I've never had in-car navigation and can't wait to get my new Spec B. One of the main things I love about this car is the standard navi.

Does anyone know what the model number is and the options is comes with? Options such as address storing, automatic route re-calculation upon going off track, turn by turn directions, etc.

Some screenshots would be great.

^ No pix but the NAV comes with all that stuff.

I've used it to find detours around traffic many times. The wife and I used it on the spur of the moment to find a little mom and pop cafe out in the countryside one day.

One of the cool things is that in one mode it lists services available at upcoming freeway exits. It lists the nearest one first and then you can toggle up to see services at the next one and then the next one, etc.

^ No pix but the NAV comes with all that stuff.

I've used it to find detours around traffic many times. The wife and I used it on the spur of the moment to find a little mom and pop cafe out in the countryside one day.

One of the cool things is that in one mode it lists services available at upcoming freeway exits. It lists the nearest one first and then you can toggle up to see services at the next one and then the next one, etc.

The services option sounds like a winner! I'm always fighting with myself over that. Do I stop here? What if there's a BK at the next one? What if there isn't a BK at the next one? Should I settle for McD's? Is there a Starbucks coming up?

The data base is limited to what input in 2004 so new things like SBUX put up in the last couple of years won't be listed. However, a way around that is to search for exits that list a lot of services and then take a look around when you get there. Apparently, an updated NAV DVD is being released early next year but it won't be cheap at $600.

There are also horror stories of SatNav sending people down undriveable unpaved roads because it was the shortest route and the map doesn't differentiate paved from unpaved roads.

I've heard of none of these stories and primary and secondary roads are differentiated. The driver is responsible for his actions and if a road looks impassable then one must decide accordingly. The system doesn't mark road work zones either.

I checked out the Navigation systems while I was at the dealer placing a deposit on a Spec B. Its got some pretty nice features aside from the navigation aspect. The salesman illustrated the various gauges, settings, maintenance, records, calculator, and the planner. It's an amazing device.

^ I don't think it is possible to easily update the software nor would you really need to. The data is contained on the DVD which is read by the software. If you live in an area with lots of new roads being built then getting an updated disc might be an idea. I would imagine that a dealership would have new DVDs but they won't be cheap.

There are also horror stories of SatNav sending people down undriveable unpaved roads because it was the shortest route and the map doesn't differentiate paved from unpaved roads.

Is this with the Subaru system? I've had four different models of Garmin and never had this problem. In fact I had difficulty getting it to auto-route over a dirt road in VT that is only open April - October.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

^ I haven't encountered the issue Scotty described. Not saying that it isn't possible but I just haven't seen it. In fact when the roads get to small, the NAV will tell you that it won't calculate a route even though the roads/lanes do show up on the map because it can't confirm their drivability.

The navigation sent me thru a very bad part of Cincinnati. I felt like I was in a parade from HELL!! I just left myself outs and said to my wife If somebody comes up to the car I'm taking off!! I would of loved for a cop to pull me over!!

So the navigation doesn't always take you the safest route, I suppose that would be politically incorrect, or some BS!!

So, anyone got any stories of how their in-car navigation got them out of trouble or how useful it has been?

I once lied and called out sick for work and i went out and got lost driving around and then my boss called and said "where are you..and don't lie or you are fired", and then I looked at the navi and it told me exactly where I was. Navi saved my ass.. :)

Seriosly tho..Navi is cool especially when you go for a long drive, it is nice to not have to worry about how to get back home.

Archived