LegacyGT.com

Injector Cleaners

I had this issue with the check engine light coming on in one of my 00 Legacy L's and when I had it looked at it was always a misfire code on cylinder 4. The guy told me it was probably a clogged injector. I tried a couple of cleaners, STP, Gumout, ect and the light would still come on from time to time. I recently bought Lucas Upper Cylinder Lub and Injector Cleaner and the doesn't come on anymore. The is the first Lucas product I have used and hopefully it's safe but it seems to have done the trick. I was told to run Lucas in the gas every 6-8K for maintenance...anyone have any opinions on that?

Havent used Lucas products. I have used techron, runing a can thru every other oil change or so, on a number of cars. Never had an issue, so who knows?
06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

I too will give a thumbs up to the Chevron products, both the Techron and Pro-Gard variants:

http://www.chevron.com/products/prodserv/fuels/additives/pro_gard.shtml

A former n/a 4-cyl of mine had worn valve stem seals that would gum up my intake valves. I was too lazy to just replace them, so I would run various cleaners through my tank to keep the oil deposits down. On a particularly long road trip where I burned through 3 straight tanks of fuel, I added a bottle of the Pro-Gard "Fuel Injector PLUS Intake Valve Cleaner" to each tank full. My highway MPG went from 21 to 28, not too shabby. I had run this same road trip on other occasions and never saw more than a 2 mpg increase from other cleaners, so I was sold on the Chevron products.

Nowadays I run a bottle of the Fuel Injector Cleaner through my cars each oil change and have not seen any issues. My former 98 SVT Contour was still getting the same gas mileage at 88K miles as at 25K miles, by following the cleaning scheme.

Archived