LegacyGT.com

Poorly fitting Hood

I noticed yesterday that the Hood on my car is off. One side on the hood (right side) is closer to the headlight than the other side. Also i noticed that the right side hood to fender gap is slightly wider then the left. I took it to the dealer and they said that there is nothing they could do because the other Legacys on the lot had the same peoblem. I think i am going to call Subaru on this. anyone else have this problem?

^^ That, plus there should also be a few rubber bumper stops that control the height. Usually those bumbers adjust by screwing them upwards or down a little - very simple. Not sure what the Subie has but I'd be surprised if it didn't have adjustable bumper pads. 2 minutes for you to look and adjust as necessary, or complain to the dealership. No big deal. If that's not enough, the hinges might have to be loosened and adjusted. I seroiusly doubt that the stamped hood panel is out of shape, itself - it's just not positioned properly.

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

Yes the Stamped hood is outta shape. Like i said before The Right side of the hood near the headlight is way too close but the fender to hood gap on the same side is wider than the left side. Making it impossible to just shift the hood around. If I were to try to shift it over to the left to get it away from to headlight it would just make the right side fender to hood gap even bigger.

So the gap between the hood and headlight is less between points B and C as opposed to the area between A and B, right? And the front corner of the hood at the fender tip matches the fender correctly, right? If so, it wopuld appear to me that your summation is correct and the hood is bent. I would ask the dealer to show me tho other Legacys with the same fit of the hood. The only other option I can think of is see a good paintless dent repair guy and see if he can tweak the hood back into shape without cracking the paint.
It is still ugly.

The area between B and C is closer to the right side headlight than the same area on the left head light. Now one would think why dont they just move the hood over to the left. The reason why is because the fender to hood gap on the right side is already wider than the one on the left. So if they were to shift the hood over to the left the gap on the right would be huge. I know i should have pics but i dont have a digital camera (yet) and cell phone pics just plain suck.

Perhaps the hood is on straight and the headlight housing is out of place?

Look at the gaps between the housing and the fender (look from the side), and see if there's some room for adjustment there.

Good luck.

Perhaps the hood is on straight and the headlight housing is out of place?

I like that idea. However I have no idea how the light mounts and if there is any way for it to be out of place (such as slotted mounting locations).

It is still ugly.

I thinking about removing that head light and checking inside to see whats is going on. Maybe after the chargers game. I wrote to Subaru about this problem. Cant wait to see what type of reponse i get

its withen tolerance. Nothing is perfect in life, some people are just a bit more anal about it because they actually take the time REALLY look. Would the average Joe notice? NO.... Would he even bother taking out a measuring tape to check? No.... But, to each his own, complain to Subaru and see if they magically straighten your car up.

tHe HoV

its withen tolerance. Nothing is perfect in life, some people are just a bit more anal about it because they actually take the time REALLY look. Would the average Joe notice? NO.... Would he even bother taking out a measuring tape to check? No.... But, to each his own, complain to Subaru and see if they magically straighten your car up.

The Subaru Fairy came out to my car and staighten the hood out for me today. Thanks for the advice Joe.:)

Archived