LegacyGT.com

Something's growing on my battery

got some stuff growing out of my negative battery terminal...some blackish fluffly stuff with white specks:lol: :icon_conf ...is this a serious issue or do I just clean it FTW? How do you guys go about cleaning the terminals...do you pour something like baking soda or something?? thanks! :icon_bigg
In Taiwan now...:spin:

thanks ya'll, I think I'm gonna go get me some baking soda, terminal cleaner, and a Coke (drink half and leave half for the car :icon_wink )

but I just found some additional info for those interested in "cleaning excess corrosion"...from BrysImpreza at Nasiocc;

"1. Use a brush and get the excess corrosion off

2. Disconnect the battery on both terminals.

3. Mix up a quart of warm water and 5 tablespoons of baking soda.

4. Pour the water mixture slowly all over the battery and terminals

5. Everything will fizz up, dry it off and make sure you don't get it all over you, it burns.

6. Use a wire brush or sandpaper to sand the inside of the terminal connections and the battery terminals.

7. make sure you do a good job cleaning up everything around the battery and all the crap that comes off the battery, it's toxic, you do not wanna leave it.

8. Reconnect everything and spread some silicone gel or dielectric grease on the terminals to prevent any further corrosion.

A new battery will help, but if your battery still holds a charge fine, then just clean and maintain your current one."

In Taiwan now...:spin:

I use the aerosol cleaner to clean the acid. Baking soda works but it can be a mess and does not always get all the acid neutralized, this is especially true for the coke. I also keep the spray around incase I get the acid on my self. You can get some cloth type washers that go around the terminals that absorb and neutralize any leaking acid to help prevent the mess. Both the spray and washers are cheap and can usually be found at auto stores. Oh and be careful using a brush to clean off the acid, I suggest safety glasses. A flake of acid in the eye is not good!!!

http://www.permatex.com/products/automotive/specialized_maintenance_repair/electrical_system_maintenance/Permatex_Battery_Cleaner_b.htm

http://www.permatex.com/products/automotive/specialized_maintenance_repair/electrical_system_maintenance/Permatex_Battery_Protector_Sealer.htm

The title of this thread reminded me...

Last spring a friend left his car at our house while he was out of the country for months. It needed a jump start at one point, and opening the hood, what did I find "growing" on the battery?

It was a mouse actively giving birth! It rapidly scrambled away with the baby halfway out. Wow.

Sorry for the off-topic diversion.

So, if you pour the baking soda/water mix over the battery, what are the odds of said solution getting in through the vent caps and into the battery? I have always used soda to clean the battery cable terminals, but I have always been afraid to pour a lot of it over the battery itself.
It is still ugly.

Coke is acidic so I don't see how it can neutralize acid. Takes off rust, though....

Baking soda has a pH of around 8. Coke, 3.5 or 4.

I dont know, a guy at my work said that he has poored it over a battery and watched it take all the green stuff off of the connections before, but I just know that it does wonders on bike chains and teeth, lol. Ever done that in biology class? put a tooth in a glass of coke? it dissolves in a day!!!

I dont know, a guy at my work said that he has poored it over a battery and watched it take all the green stuff off of the connections before, but I just know that it does wonders on bike chains and teeth, lol. Ever done that in biology class? put a tooth in a glass of coke? it dissolves in a day!!!

We have used Coke (or Pepsi, tho it doesn't work as well) for years to clean up the terminals on various and sundry used cars. My theory is that since "like dissolves like", the acidic Coke washes away the acidic deposits on the battery terminals.

That being said, if you do have a battery explode or crack, baking soda and lots of water is your friend. We had a BMW 320i with a battery relocation to the trunk, and the voltage regulator on the alternator fried. We then had a trunk full of battery acid that it took two boxes of baking soda to neutralize.

-Ryan

Archived