My Run-In with the JDM McIntosh radio

Drewski

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am a bit confused here... the HVAC schematic you are showing is from the RHD McIntosh unit, right?

Do you have the one for our USDM radio also? I am just looking at the possibility of making an "adapter box" that will take the signals from the McIntosh unit and get them on the correct wires for the US vehicle's circuits. If we have both schematics - and assuming that the HVAC "brain" operates the same [parameters, software and bus type] on both the JDM and USDM vehicles then there is no reason we can't do this.

You got PM.

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...

OMG i have been wanting to do this and just saw this thread, any updates???

I would love to use that headunit cuz it would have line level outputs to hook directly to amp or cleansweap!!!

What about a 2008??? ;)

What a trick mod, i would pay good money for that head unit!!!

What about nav integration?

OMG i have been wanting to do this and just saw this thread, any updates???

I would love to use that headunit cuz it would have line level outputs to hook directly to amp or cleansweap!!!

What about a 2008??? ;)

What a trick mod, i would pay good money for that head unit!!!

What about nav integration?

i thought the 09's came with the new Mac headsunits/speakers? wouldnt that be easier to work with for usdm lgt's?

edit sorry im dumb i guess its harmon kardon

Edited by lucas569

i thought that it was the same headunit, they just put a lable on the speakers

not just a label :lol:

sub in the rear deck, harmon spkrs all around, 385w amp.

from what ive read it sounds pretty good.

what i dont understand is why the outback get a bigger sub, and a 440w amp?

wtf is the lgt the readheaded step child?

• 2 months later...
"My Run-In with the JDM McIntosh radio"

I happen to work for an audio company. Which one is not important... but I get to play with a lot of OEM and aftermarket goodies. Anyhow, yesterday this little bugger arrived and it looked like it might fit - so I pulled my dash apart and had at it. Mechanically, it fits mounting is no issue - I tried it. Screws match up and everything. BONUS!

Radio-wise it is functional. Everything powers up, and operates fine with exception made to the FM tuner since Japan uses different frequencies than the USSA does. I do believe that the freq's can be changed though since this unit has a "world tuner".

Onto the crappy part.

The HVAC. I can live with "mirror imaged" controls, but when you plug in the connector, nothing happens. Basically there are 5 connections to the USDM radio. An Antenna, a ground pin, a big white audio connector, and two small black 8-pin connectors (assuming that these are for HVAC). The JDM McIntosh radio takes everything that the USDM car has plug-wise, except for ONE of the 8Pin black plugs. I am assuming it is for the HVAC.

Anyone know where I can get the pinout for:

a) the USDM car-side plugs (namely the two black 8 pins)

b) the JDM pin out on the HVAC portion (the plug is on the bottom half of the unit unlike the USDM where the plugs are ALL up top radio side). I am assuming Calsonic makes it since it is badged Kenwood (funny, Kenwood/Calsonic making the control head on the HVAC and Clarion making the McIntosh radio parts... what an odd state of affairs!)

I am confident I can make this headunit work in a USDM vehicle, but I need to get these pinouts in order to do it. This is of course assuming that the HVAC module in the vehicles are running the same data bus as the JDM vehicle.

Why do I want to do this? Couple of reasons. #1 is for the iPod interface. The Clarion iPod box works flawless with this JDM head. #2 is looks. Just look at how dang hot it is! So much nicer finish than the USDM part.

So, stay tuned... if anyone can get me pinouts, I have car and I have part and I have electronics lab, and I am willing to "try it".

I did search for about 3 hours yesterday for the pinouts, but to no avail. Just in case someone wants to say "did you try the search button?"

Anyhow - if I get the pinouts and get it running, I can do a full write up on how to do it... I have no idea what it would cost to do, I am guessing these heads are not cheap - but just being able to "do it" would be pretty dang cool.

-Drew

I have a JDM McIntosh radio and I would love to know how to change the frquency range if anyone can help. It is definitely a McIntosh. I have a JDM 2004 Subaru Legacy that came with the radio. I tried the hold down AM thing and it didn't work.

As far as I know the AUSDM McIntosh which is imported by the Subaru dealers in Jamaica have the same radio, but with a USDM frequency range.

Please Help!

Thanks.

Subaru Costa Rica seems to have the MacIntosh in LHD. Wonder if the freqs are the same as US.

http://www.subaru.co.cr/info/legacy_3.php

According to the PDF Spec sheet for the 3.0R, the radio is just "CD Radio" and there is no mention of anything else. The 2.5gt spec sheet mentions an "Original Subaru radio for 6 discs" but that's it. It could be that the spec sheets are not very well made, or the pictures are from another LHD market or these Legacies have an HU that looks like a McIntosh (maybe it's just black?)

i85 -

pin3 - Violet Wire / White Stripe - Sat controls

pin4 - Red Wire - Subwoofer

pin6 - White Wire - Subwoofer

pin7 - Orange Wire / White stripe - Sat controls

pin8 - Green Wire - Body integrated unit

i88 -

pin1 - Green wire / Orange stripe - Ignition power

pin3 - White wire / Black stripe - Auto AC Control Module

pin5 - Black wire/ Yellow stripe - Ground

pin7 - White wire - Auto AC Control Module

Updating info from awhile back...

Pin 8 on connector i85 is for the illumination Bright mode ("dimness cancellation"), controlled by the "BRIGHT" button on the clock.

"Sat controls" are the buttons on the steering wheel (not satellite radio).

The two Auto AC Control pins on connector i88 are for transmit and receive data to/from the A/C module.

According to the PDF Spec sheet for the 3.0R, the radio is just "CD Radio" and there is no mention of anything else. The 2.5gt spec sheet mentions an "Original Subaru radio for 6 discs" but that's it. It could be that the spec sheets are not very well made, or the pictures are from another LHD market or these Legacies have an HU that looks like a McIntosh (maybe it's just black?)

If you squint just enough, you can see the black McIntosh badge protruding in the middle below the slot.

• 3 months later...
If you squint just enough, you can see the black McIntosh badge protruding in the middle below the slot.

It looks like the normal 07+ Panasonic to me, just in black like in EDM/JDM cars.

So no one knows how to adjust a "world tuner" on the McIntosh?

I already posted how back in post#23

and another reminder about it in post#31

Edit: I just saw your comment "I tried the AM hold down thing and it didn't work."

I'm happy to compare notes with you to see if we're talking about the same unit.

Edited by Ric