LegacyGT.com

Synthetic oil for NA anyone?

Once again, more talking out of asses. I realize that what you guys are doing is probably okay, but you are just guessing until you do a UOA. There is no question that most synthetics are superior to dinos, but is it really WORTH the price difference. I would say for most owners of the 2.5i that would be no.

Read BITOG forums for info on oils and additive packs, etc...

you've already made your point, get over it. there's no need to start saying that we're talking out of our asses. the guy asked a question about what we're doing, and we responded in kind.

its worth my peice of mind. it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. i may be using an oil that i don't need and doing it more often than necessary. i don't care. this is what i'm doing, it doesn't hurt my engine, i may pay more than i need to. that's my choice.

so, you're attacking me... that's cool. making a joke at my expense... have at it. hell, i'll even give you credit, that was a pretty good joke.

no one ever came out and attacked you, you started saying that people are talking out of their asses. that doesn't give you any respect in this forum.

and regarding my masturbation techniques and habits: you're right, no one cares. which makes me wonder why you're thinking about it.

Get down off the cross I was just kidding. That attitude won't get YOU any respect either.

I stand by my statement that people ARE talking out of their asses... unless someone would care to share their UOA data and prove otherwise. I am a straight shooter which is a trait I respect in others, not that I care about respect over the interwebs. Having a problem with what I am saying is one thing, but having a problem with HOW I say it makes you oversensitive.

P.S. I didn't just start saying that people were talking out of their asses. I pointed it out as part of my larger point that people should do RESEARCH and not listen to hearsay based on warm fuzzies and butt dynos. I also preceded the comment with "No offense, but..."

To the member that asked the question:

Members are going to tell you what they are using, but that in no way implies that you should do what they do, unless all you want is warm fuzzies.

I guess I am a little pissy about this subject because it was covered so much in the Passat forums that I used to be a member of and it quickly became obvious that these discussions were pointless because no one could provide any facts.

In short, if you want oil info go to the BITOG forums to get it, not here.

oversensitive, i'm not. my thing was how you presented it. it came off argumentative and holier-than-thow. i hate people like that. information which you provided in the above post would have been good info in the first place.

those UOA's looking interesting. how much generally?

much respect.

Guest subiecity
haha seattlelegacy join the aggrivation club theres alotta people who talk on this website, dont take it to heart, been there done that i ask quarter mile times or nitrous facts, or header questions or anything about improving our cars performance and i get a nice big "go post on another website" so dont feel bad your not the only one, and if it wasnt for us guys asking questions liek these then thre would be no NA LEGACY FORUMS, theyd be talkin about gas milage and how much money they put in their tanks this week

Blackstone Labs seems to be popular on BITOG and their standard test is $20:

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/standard_analysis.html

I have pretty low miles (only on second fill of oil) so I will prolly wait until the next oil change to get it tested. I'm not expecting anything out of the ordinary because these engines always seem to show great wear numbers, mostly interested in how the additives hold up, etc...

i'm using full syn in the engine, tranny (m/t) and rear diff. I did notice an increase in power when i first converted everything (especialy the gear oil). on strictly highway, i get about 32-34 mpg. seems worth it to me.

I hear Redline in the tranny and rear diff makes nice and smooth...better for cold as well.

i use mobil1 synthetic extended performance just so i dont have to do oil changes every so often. just change the filter every 3k miles and top off the oil and continue on my daily routine.

swapped over to synthetic at 9k miles.. and am currently at 36k. still running great.

-- yay for the sig! --

my garage!

that's exactly what i'm running. 75W-90NS (no slip) in the trans and 75W-90 in the rear.

So you think your mileage got better after the Redline was put in? Makes sense. I hate the feeling of the tranny when it's cold and I hear Redline takes care of that clunky cold tranny feeling. I am at about 12K miles right now and my theory is that between 10-15K miles the tranny and diff are "broken in" and the lubes should be changed to reduce the amount of stuff floating around. I am sure this is part truth and part voodoo but let me have it, I just want synth lubes in my tranny and diff.

• 2 weeks later...
So you think your mileage got better after the Redline was put in? Makes sense. I hate the feeling of the tranny when it's cold and I hear Redline takes care of that clunky cold tranny feeling. I am at about 12K miles right now and my theory is that between 10-15K miles the tranny and diff are "broken in" and the lubes should be changed to reduce the amount of stuff floating around. I am sure this is part truth and part voodoo but let me have it, I just want synth lubes in my tranny and diff.

yeh, the mileage did go up. i switched the trans and diff @15k. the main reason for going to synth in the trans is that i would sometimes grind 2nd gear in a quick shift (as in, pulling out in to a street and a car comes out of nowhere, so you've go to gun it and get into second and no i don't race). the redline "NS" helps the syncros mate quicker and haven't had that problem since. just be forewarned that when you change the trans fluid, there will be some metal shavings (very small) on the magnetic drain plug. i about shat myself when i saw it. after asking 20 people, i was convinced that its normal for a tranny that was breaking in.

My dealer didn't recommend using synthetic, although I can't remember why. It was more along the lines of it being more a hinderence than a help. If we had the turbo, it would make sense.

Hindrance? Thats the best one I have ever heard about a reason not to switch to synthetic. Another reason why I don't always listen to dealers.:rolleyes:

yeh, the mileage did go up. i switched the trans and diff @15k. the main reason for going to synth in the trans is that i would sometimes grind 2nd gear in a quick shift (as in, pulling out in to a street and a car comes out of nowhere, so you've go to gun it and get into second and no i don't race). the redline "NS" helps the syncros mate quicker and haven't had that problem since. just be forewarned that when you change the trans fluid, there will be some metal shavings (very small) on the magnetic drain plug. i about shat myself when i saw it. after asking 20 people, i was convinced that its normal for a tranny that was breaking in.

You will see metal flakes everytime you remove that drain plug for a service. Trannys and Diffs are just that way.

hmm...yea.

I switched our legacy to mobil 1 synthetic at around 12000 miles, and the only real change I've noticed is a smoother idle. It might be psychological, but hell.

The car has 21800 or so on it now, and it's been a little more than 3000 since the last oil change, but when I went back to the shop, they said it's okay not to change the filter until you change your oil. I don't know about that, but I don't want to take chances. How do you change the oil filter by yourself? Does the oil splatter all over the place when removing the filter?

umm... if you do that... then i'd recommend using mobil1's extended performance oil filters to match the oil. changing the filter is ridicuously easy.... even w/ the dropped car and a front lip.... i just gotta reach underneath and unscrew the filter...

=)

-- yay for the sig! --

my garage!

Archived