LegacyGT.com

Synthetic oil for NA anyone?

I would probably say no, just because the NA is not a performance engine.

For the same reason as to why would you put 95 gas into it? It would just be a waste of money.

If you are good with your oil change schedule, then I would think there is really no reason to go synthetic.

X

---

i'm not a big fan of synthetics. full synthetic oil has a tendency to lose viscosity at high temperatures. most engines will never see these temps, but the fact remains. i like a synthetic blend. you get the benefits of synthetic with the dino oil to help stabilize the viscosity.

I use Pennzoil Platinum Full Syn in my 2.5i. I run regular service intervals at 7500 miles and like the benefit of extended drains with synthetic. With the way all oils are manufactured these days, that is really the only benefit of synthetics. Apples for apples, dino is good, synthetic is usually good longer, thats all.

Depends on where you live. I have been using synthetic in our NA '02 Outback (68,000 miles) since it was new. I like the greater protection and easier starts in cold weather. Still change every 3,000 miles. Added cost is minimal when compared to the cost of a new car (especially when you do the oil changes yourself).
It is still ugly.

I have been using Pennzoil Platinum in our cars and while I can't say that I noticed any difference, I like the extended drain intervals and it gets pretty cold around here so cold temp pour points for the synth oils is why I am willing to pay a little extra. You can get the oil for about $18 and the filter is another $7 so that's not too expensive when you can go 7500K between changes.

I dont have a 2.5i, but I've talked to a lot of people who race and also use full synthetic (Amsoil) in their daily drivers and they swear by it. Im not a pro by any means, so stop me if Im talking foolish, but I dont think putting full synthetic in your car will hurt it. If you look on amsoil's website and also look for Royal Purple, they have tests that show proof of their oil being superior to regular oil. Its not necessarily going to help your car in performance or gas mileage, but it could help to extend the life of your engine by keeping it at its optimal condition. Even if it is a little bit more expensive to do it, it will help extend your cars life, so its worth it for me in the long run.

Thats just my .02

If I pass you on the right, I'm flipping you off.

so how is mobile 1 ? people who use it

We are using it in the H6 and four other vehicles. It was used from the first oil change (usually 7,500 miles) on all of them and will be changed at 7,500 or as the manufacturer recommends. We will do oil analysis as the vehicles increase mileage to see what's going on.

I wouldn't expect any increase or decrease in mileage. Nor can you extend the drain interval beyond the manufacturer ratings. It does seem to perform better at temperature extremes, and we have those.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

mobile 1 is the best of the "cheap" synthetics and it's good stuff for sure. I go with the Pennsoil Platinum because it's cheaper and I figure it's good enough for the type of driving I do...It does not test as well as the mobile 1. Not that $6 is "cheap" for oil but compared to amsoil, royal purple, or redline, moblie 1 is cheap.

If you have never spent any time at www.bobistheoilguy.com you should check it out....tons of info on oils and filters in that forum. Who'da thought that there would be such a thing as oil nerds?

What is interesting is that the cheap $.97 Cheveron 5W30 is one of the best dino oils around...rates better than most of the big names. I guess FRAM oil filters are total junk as well. I spent a couple days reading those forums because I have a small fleet of legacy wagons I have to maintain and I wanted to figure out what the best solution was for these cars and the least hassle for me. Good filter and synthetic oil was the best for me...cuts the number of oil changes in half and helps cold startup on our fridged mornings(12F right now). I think the bottom line on oil is if you change it regularly and live in a semi-warm climate, don't bother with synthetic...if my car was turbo, synthetic all the way.

I tend to ramble....

As bendite mentioned, BobistheOilGuy.com is a great site with tons of info. After reading that site and looking at lots of UOAs, which I have been doing for years, it seems the 2.5 likes just about any oil so it is pointless to go with expensive synth oils in these engines. Syn oil will help at cold startup, so that is one advantage, but not enough to justify the expense for me at least. My dealer uses Chevron which is one of the best dino oils out there so I will stick with that.

No offense, but all of you recommending certain oils are talking out of your ass until you can provide used oil analysis data to back up your claims. Driving longer between oil changes should also only be done with a UOA to prove that the oil is holding up, you can't just go by oil manufacturer claims.

Another point that is listed on most of the informative sites is that the synthetic oils give lesser wax/particle deposits on the valves etc as compated to the dino oils. (I think I saw it on the royal purple website).

As per the maintenance schedule the recommended oil change interval for the 2.5i is 7500 miles. I understand that people who do a lot of city driving are better off doing oil changes at 3000 mile intervals. But I do about 80% Hwy driving. So I think I can stick to the recommended 7500 mi interval (using dino oil). How often do you guys do the oil/filter changes:icon_ques

I read somewhere that it is the detergent in the oil that holds and keeps all the particles (soot, carbon deposits, wax) suspended in the oil. So that makes me think that irrespective of whether we are using dino or synthetic oil we need to make sure we are using an oil with good detergent additive. (Not sure how we can ensure that)

I use synthetic. Summer I use Castrol 0W30 (German). Winter I use 5W30 Penzzoil Platinum. I change at 5k, could probably go longer but we get close to 100 degree heat in the summer with high humidity and it gets down below 10 degrees windchill sometimes in the winter. Car is parked outside and is a daily driver in NY traffic, i'll stick to synthetic thank you :)

Once again, more talking out of asses. I realize that what you guys are doing is probably okay, but you are just guessing until you do a UOA. There is no question that most synthetics are superior to dinos, but is it really WORTH the price difference. I would say for most owners of the 2.5i that would be no.

Read BITOG forums for info on oils and additive packs, etc...

Archived