LegacyGT.com

New to Subarus: Looking at the GT Limited

Smashraj84

Hey all,

I am a former Corolla owner (1995 to be exact) and it never had a SINGLE problem (except for a few that I caused :icon_wink). I upgraded (or so I thought) to a 2001 Audi A4 Quattro. It is a great car and drive, interior, exterior, etc. is excellent. The only problem I've had with it in the past two years or so is reliability. The damn car has been in the shop at least 6 or 7 times in the past year, plus regular maintenance. I'm done. Sick and tired of it. I actually miss my trusty Corolla. I could beat that thing to all hell and it was always working.

Anyways, I'm looking to purchase a new car, 4-door with AWD. I've looked at Mazda, Honda, Toyota, Lexus, Volvo, and Subaru. I've read that Volvos can be flakey. Strike them out. Hondas and Toyotas are kings of reliability but they are 1)not AWD and 2)boring. Mazdas are not AWD.

I like the Lexus IS, but the 250 AWD is a a tad out of my price range. I could go for it, but I'm not sold on paying $1000s more just for the luxury of a "name". I'm not that type of person.

I looked at the WRX Sedan, but from what I've read the Legacy has a nicer more mature interior (correct me if I'm wrong).

Anyways, I've sorta narrowed my search down to the Lexus IS 250 AWD, the Legacy GT Limited Sedan, and the WRX Sedan. Does anyone have one a '07 Legacy GT Limited? If so, how do you like it? Does anyone have the WRX Sedan? If so, how is the interior? How do either/both of these cars compare to a Lexus in terms of drive, interior/exterior quality, and reliability?

well, i'd just comment that as for the Lexus IS 250 AWD, you're not paying $1000s more just for the "luxury of a name". it is a luxury car, and is in a different range from the gt limited. they are better built, quieter, more refined... so i wouldn't say the $1000s more that it costs is all due to the "name"..

well, i'd just comment that as for the Lexus IS 250 AWD, you're not paying $1000s more just for the "luxury of a name". it is a luxury car, and is in a different range from the gt limited. they are better built, quieter, more refined... so i wouldn't say the $1000s more that it costs is all due to the "name"..

Very true. I guess I put two comments together that shouldn't have been. The Lexus is a nicer car, but is it worth the $1000s more? And completely seperate from that is the fact that I really want to buy a lexus just to say I have a lexus.

I used to drive a 98 corolla at pone point as well.

Had a 05 GT linited, and it has been the best car ever. Istill get a grin remembering the good times with it.

I now have a 07 2.5i Limited. Like it a lot as well, but the fun factor has been dropped a notch.

Get a 07 GT Limited 5 speed and you will be a happy camper.

After selling my 05 I looked at a whome bunch of cars, and always came back to Subaru. Cannot be beat for what you get for your money! Specially the sweet engine.

X

---

My two considerations were also the IS250 and the LGT. I ended up with the LGT because I wanted more performance and was willing to sacrifice some of the luxury.

However, I didn't end up having to sacrifice anything because the LGT interior has all the luxury I would require (and more) while staying simple and uncluttered. However, I'm sure the lexus is unbelievable when it comes to comfort and refinement.

If I wanted pure comfort I would have gotten a barcalounger. I wanted a car that would keep me excited and make me wish I was driving 24/7... I got that with the Legacy! :icon_bigg

I used to drive a 98 corolla at pone point as well.

Had a 05 GT linited, and it has been the best car ever. Istill get a grin remembering the good times with it.

I now have a 07 2.5i Limited. Like it a lot as well, but the fun factor has been dropped a notch.

Get a 07 GT Limited 5 speed and you will be a happy camper.

After selling my 05 I looked at a whome bunch of cars, and always came back to Subaru. Cannot be beat for what you get for your money! Specially the sweet engine.

X

Yeah I'll definitely be going with the GT if I go with the Legacy.

Another thing I like (although it would never been the defining reason I buy or not buy a car) is that I rarely see Subarus where I live. When I do see them, they are Foresters or Outbacks.

Also, I went on consumerreports. Here are the IS notes:

Highs: Braking, controls, fit and finish, quietness, turning circle, powertrain refinement, fuel economy, crash-test results.

Lows: Lacks a sporty feel, rear seat room, headlights, ride.

Here are the Legacy notes:

Highs: Steering, agility, ride, acceleration, transmission, fit and finish.

Lows: Fuel economy, at-the-limit handling, no folding rear seat.

My thoughts...Ride being a LOW for the Lexus is a pretty big deal. That's a SERIOUS low, not just a small thing. According to Fueleconomy.gov, the difference in fuel is $200 a year between the Lexus and Legacy. Also it's less than $70 more than my current Audi, so fuel-economy isn't that big of a deal. From what I've read the Legacy does have a folding rear seat in 2007 (the reviewed model was an '05). Also, the fit and finish, controls and quietness are rated as being equal.

Well you know the few things lacking on the 05-06 interior have been addresses on the 07 IMHO. Those being the AUX imput/MP3 Radio, Folding down back seats and I guess a new gadget the SI drive.

The 07 has everything that I need and was lacking with the 05-06.

Of course steering wheel radio controls would be the cherry, but why SOA does not include that standard in the Limited class is beyond me.

X

---

Lows: Fuel economy (20mpg), at-the-limit handling (wrong), no folding rear seat (wrong).

Yeah especially since I'm going from an Audi that had about the same fuel economy, that's not an issue whatsoever. The folding rear seat must have been an issue from the '05, but obviously it's been corrected.

Wait. So are there or aren't there steering wheel audio controls on the GT limited?

Yes and no. IT's on the spec. B . As for gas milage in LA stop and go traffic I get about 20+mpg combind with my 5mt wagon and TDC stage 1. On open highway I get in the mid to hi 20's at 80 mph.

Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

I've found that a turbo-charged engine is not something you want to beat on everyday.

Having gone through a turbo and a piston on a bone stock LGT in under 30K, I would say go for an NA for a daily beater.

Anyone else have an opinion on this? I would be using it for everyday driving, which on regular workdays isn't any more than 30 miles. It's also not stop-and-go traffic as I take backroads to work every morning. It would also be housed in a heated garage, if that helps at all (don't know how that helps/hurts a turbo-charged engine).

When he says "beat on" i wonder if he is implying runs to redline every chance you get?

I think if you drive normally most of the time with a few spirited drives here and there you should be OK.

I would definitely think you would hear of more issues from the many people here that drive daily if there was a problem.

Plus tha is what 3 year warranty is for, if it is gonna break, it better break within the warranty period!

X

---

Anyone else have an opinion on this? I would be using it for everyday driving, which on regular workdays isn't any more than 30 miles. It's also not stop-and-go traffic as I take backroads to work every morning. It would also be housed in a heated garage, if that helps at all (don't know how that helps/hurts a turbo-charged engine).

Same here, my daily commute is about 30 miles round trip with no stop-n-go in the morning and little stop-n-go in the evening. Since that's really the only driving I do on a daily basis, I do it very spiritedly within the posted speed limits.

When he says "beat on" i wonder if he is implying runs to redline every chance you get?

Pretty much to the posted speed limit. I expect a car to perform without any problems for at least as long as its powertrain is warranted, which is 60K.

I think if you drive normally most of the time with a few spirited drives here and there you should be OK.

Probably.

I would definitely think you would hear of more issues from the many people here that drive daily if there was a problem.

Plus tha is what 3 year warranty is for, if it is gonna break, it better break within the warranty period!

That's fine except you're going to be visiting the dealer depending on how hard you drive. I didn't get a ~$28K turbo-car to baby it most of the time.

I have a 3-inch folder at my local dealer.:lol:

I keed I keeed

Archived