LegacyGT.com

05 Wagon Rack System - Poll

CT05Legacy

Which Rack System is the best option for the wagon?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Which Rack System is the best option for the wagon?

• Thule 440 w/ SR2 Adapter and 50" Cross Bars
    • Yakima EZ Rider and 48" Cross Bars
    • Subaru OEM Cross Bar Set

huh? That statement made no sense. The Subaru stuff is IDENTICAL to yakima/thule with the exception of crossbars for the GT wagon (those are made by Mont Blanc even though they're thule-style square cross bars). Why not just get Subaru stuff, pricing aside? What else do you recommend? Why would you buy Yakima if they make Subaru's stuff that you claim is crap?

Anyhow, in additional to REI's annual sales, you can also hit up places like http://www.rackwarehouse.com year round. They tend to have good prices.

Stay away from Subaru OEM stuff. Even though its made by Yakima, its pretty much crap.

Thule or Yakima are on sale (20% off) at REI once a year on different days. I think Yakima is in May.

Got the OEM Subaru Bars coupled with Yakima Lift Ticket 6 Board Holders. NOT a single issue strapped down with 4 boards and doing 85mph....

Why do people hate on the OEM bars so much?!? :confused:

http://akamai.backcountrystore.com.edgesuite.net/images/items/large/YAK0081.jpg

Just cuz i can:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=623446&postcount=709

~Sucka-Duck~

why not use the Thule kit meant for the LGT?

That's what the 440 is. Its the Subaru Specialty Package.

I guess what I'm looking for is experience with fit. I know both Thule and Yak products are "designed" to fit the LGT wagon, but I've heard issues of paint damage from the feet and also a limit to how far back on the rails the cross bars can travel (since the rails are not || - one brand is able to get all the way back another can't w/o modifcation)...just figured a poll would give me a quick answer. Anyway, comments from experience are def welcome.

ok. I had that Thule kit. It does mar up the rails a bit and it does need to be dremeled out to get full separationg. neither are big deals to me and I had all Thule accessories, so it was a no-brainer. I sold the bars with the car, but still have locks, bike trays, wheel holders and a cargo tie-down ratchet kit if anybody needs parts.

I've always been a Yakima fan mostly because of the round bars. That way if change cars to something with a more rounded rooftop you'll be ok. Only think that sucks is the locking EZ Rider doesn't come out until Spring 07'.

I have the Yakima because I only had to replace the towers to use the rack I had on my old car. Both the Thule and Subaru OEM racks have the cross bars integrated into the towers.

As for the locking issue with the EZ Rider, not many people carry around a hex wrench to disassemble your rack. Even if it was locking, if someone really wanted what you have on the rack, the lock won't stop them. You can also get anti-tamper bolts to replace the ones on the existing EZ Rider if you are really paranoid.

I have the Thule 440 kit and rectangular Thule bars from Rack Attack. This is the cleanest, most low profile system I have ever had. Bomber attachment interfaces with the with the factory roof rails like it was designed for them, perfect fit. No problems with Thule bike trays, snowboard carriers or my Thule widebody Explorer coffin. Rear hatch of the wagon can fully open without hitting the coffin as well.

I have the Thule 440 kit and rectangular Thule bars from Rack Attack. This is the cleanest, most low profile system I have ever had. Bomber attachment interfaces with the with the factory roof rails like it was designed for them, perfect fit. No problems with Thule bike trays, snowboard carriers or my Thule widebody Explorer coffin. Rear hatch of the wagon can fully open without hitting the coffin as well.

Bomber attachment??

Whoops sorry about the slang. Its a rock climbing term that basically means "this baby is rock solid and not going anywhere" Used to describe placement of gear that you put in a route your climbing to stop you if you fall. Such as "that last piece I put in that off width crack is bomber"

I have the OEM square bars and use every one of my Thule rack parts (ski, bike and Kayak). I have never had a single issue doing rapid highway and canyon road driving.

Same here!! OEM bars w/ thule box or bike rack. The bars are strong / light / very quiet and easy to use:) Also no mods needed and DOES NOT touch paint.

Archived