LegacyGT.com

Front license plate holder

rzar

Not sure how it mounts up but save yourself the $ and buy a universal kit at your local parts store. They are less than $3 and with or without a plate frame mount pretty solidly. I had to grind down the included screws since they were way too long and I certainly did not want them poking into my bumper.

I got one that looks like a wide '#' with screw holes all over it, to mount in many orientations.

I screwed that to the bumper with stainless screws, so that the plate sits higher than if the plate holes were used to screw into the bumper. Now the upper edge of the plate is just barely below the line where the grille opening transitions into the vertical part of the bumper cover.

It opens up a bit more space under the plate for the lower radiator intake, as well.

I also put a smoke tinted convex acrylic cover over the front plate, as well. that should protect things, and certainly does tone down the appearance of a big white flat plate on the front.

Using all four plate holes with more stainless screws to screw to the mounting bracket helps, too. it is very solid. I had to grind down the two top screws, to avoid making new dimples in the bumper cover, but that was quick with a bench grinder. But a bit hot.

I got one that looks like a wide '#' with screw holes all over it, to mount in many orientations.

That's the one I'm talking about...$3 or less and it mounts the plate away from the paint and the '#' gives good support without having extra plasic cladding like many front plate holders.

I had to grind down the two top screws, to avoid making new dimples in the bumper cover, but that was quick with a bench grinder. But a bit hot.

I don't know why they are so long, a bit hot is right...damn, I don't know what I was thinking...straight from the vice grips to my palm :icon_mad: ...idiot!

Not sure how it mounts up but save yourself the $ and buy a universal kit at your local parts store. They are less than $3 and with or without a plate frame mount pretty solidly

Yep, that's what I'm using. Works well.

ignore him, he'll go away.

There's a License Plate Holder that hugs the bumper, it's wider on the bottom of the holder and not as wide at the top. Has any seen it? I've seen it on the newer Legacys and Outbacks.

I would love the part number if anyone has it, a picture would be nice as well.

Off topic, just order this for the Spec.b...

http://www.perrinperformance.com/products/show/179/License-Plate-Delete?model=15&category=34

This one.

Yes, that's the one. I first saw it on your car at one of the GTG/Meets that we had at Bear Mountain over the summer.

Any chance I can get you to look behind that "License Plate holder" and give me the Part Number?

I tried the Subaru Parts Dept and even Opie, but no luck.

Thanks,

Mac

I just went ahead and bought the universal mount. Got it at Wal-Mart for like 3 bucks. It really looks good and is sturdy. Its made by a Company called "Bell". ANd you guys are right the screws are way to long to mount the plate. Will have to get shorter screws.

Sorry guys but I didn't feel like taking it off. With my luck it will never get tight again considering the plastic.

But I am having the bumper repainted on Tuesday, I will ask them to look for me.

No problem. I've been running the car with no front plate for 9 months now.

Are you going to be running you car without the front plate after it's painted?

If you can get the part number, that would be great. If you can't, no problem.

I'm in no rush to put it on, but I know sooner or later, I'm going to get busted.

• 2 weeks later...
No problem. I've been running the car with no front plate for 9 months now.

Are you going to be running you car without the front plate after it's painted?

If you can get the part number, that would be great. If you can't, no problem.

I'm in no rush to put it on, but I know sooner or later, I'm going to get busted.

You will get busted. My wife was driving the miata very slowly through a construction zone outside Albany and the asshat directing traffic motioned her to the side of the road as soon as he saw her. He stopped directing traffic in order to ticket her for driving without the plate mounted, even tho it was in the car.

Farking asshat cops piss me off doing shit like this and yet dickheads are allowed to run stop signs and red lights and never seem to get tickets even when there is a donut carrier (I mean patrol car) right on the scene.

So, get that plate mounted! (Maybe the city is different)

Archived