LegacyGT.com

key won't turn. help!

megan

it all began just yesterday morning. i went to start my car and my key went in, but wouldn't turn. okay, so my wheel is locked right? i mess around with it for a while and finally the key will turn. then it does this same thing, without my wheel being locked, 4 more times!!! i had to borrow a car this morning or i wouldnt have made it to work. i'm reallllllly frustrated. has this happened to anyone else?

when i first get into my car, my wheel is not locked and moving freely and my key will NOT turn. yesterday, i was able to move the wheel around until finally, at some point, the key would turn. happened 4 or 5 times. then this morning, my wheel was moving freely and the key again would NOT turn. i moved the wheel around, back and forth with no luck, until finally it locked and nothing i did would un-lock it and i could not turn my key. i tried everything i could for 10 min. until i borrowed my mom's car to go to work. i'm having it towed to the dealer at noon.

hahahaha. nope.

oh well. i went home to meet the tow truck driver and, of course, the key turned after some maneuvering of the steering wheel so i just drove back to work. i know if i go to the dealer and it doesn't do it there, it's pointless. i must just be crazy!

the key turned after some maneuvering of the steering wheel

If there is pressure against the steering wheel when you turn the car off and remove the key, said pressure will make the lock cylinder very hard to turn when you re-insert the key later. Think of someone pushing back against your tires...that pressure is then distributed back to the steering column and places a load against the steering column lock. Is this what you are maybe experiencing? Next time it happens, turn the steering wheel one way or the other to remove some of this load off the column lock and see if you can then easily turn the key. If not, forget I said anything.

It is still ugly.

Im not sure how you park your car, but leaving the wheels centered I dont have a problem. The first time I actually had a problem was at the dealership when they drove the car of the service bay and parked it... They left the wheels turned and that affected the key lock, I couldnt get it unstuck and they had to come out and mess around with it.

I've only had the problem 2 other times that I can remember of and it was easily remedied with the turning of the steering wheel back and forth. So my suggestion, if you dont already do it, is to leave the wheels centered before you turn off the car. Hope that helps.

If I pass you on the right, I'm flipping you off.

thanks guys. i always leave my wheels straight when i park. so weird. i think it mostly happens in the mornings when it's really cold. i am hoping tomorrow will be a better day...

Good thing is you are in Cali...it never gets REALLY cold.

Good luck.

Archived