LegacyGT.com

Throttle Delay

I searched and found a few threads about this but it didn't seem like there was any conclusions.

Whenever I step on the gas (most notably from a standstill) there's significant delay before the engine revs, it seems like at least a half a second. It definitely makes it tough to start off smoothly and its getting pretty annoying. My Legacy is an 07 SE 5MT with about 500 miles. I know the throttle is electronic so there's nothing I can do to reduce the lag, can the dealer do anything?

Guest subiecity
i had the samee problem....i installed the agency power light weight crankshaft pulley and now theres no delay ....stcok pulley is like 6 or 7 lbs of solid steel to the crankshaft.....aftermarket one was exactly 1lb def made a difference in launching the car from a standstill or from a redlight and stopsign

Guest subiecity
belive it or not soon as i swaped out that heavy ass pice of steeel off the crankshaft it was defintly a huge difference in launching the car i had no more delay

Guest subiecity
^^^i wonder how to get rid of that on a 4eat ..prolly cant...and the crankshaft pulley for me was super easy i paid 50 bucks to get it swaped out....i ocouldnt crack the oem nut under the hood was on super tight i actually bent my ratchet set and pliars.......if u have 4eat i do suggest taking it to a local shop cuz in order to take it off u need to put it in gear so the pulley doesnt rotate with auto i really dont think u can i tried but no luck

I have the same issue with my 2.5i. If I don't rev it a little before I let out the clutch, it is very slow to get moving. I just assumed that the motor really sucks on the low end. It's really nice once it gets up to around 3500 RPM. I was wondering what little mods would help that out but I have learned to live with it. Now that it's snowing, I am super aware of the issue when I am pulling out in front of cars from a dead stop. I thought about a K&N filter and 91 octane gas seems to make it a little snappier but I don't want to pay for 91 gas and someone told me that it won't make a bit of difference in a 2.5i because it's set up for 87.

My 2000 Legacy L pulls strong from a dead stop so I was kinda shocked at how much the 2.5i lags if you let it.

^^^i wonder how to get rid of that on a 4eat ..prolly cant...and the crankshaft pulley for me was super easy i paid 50 bucks to get it swaped out....i ocouldnt crack the oem nut under the hood was on super tight i actually bent my ratchet set and pliars.......if u have 4eat i do suggest taking it to a local shop cuz in order to take it off u need to put it in gear so the pulley doesnt rotate with auto i really dont think u can i tried but no luck

oh ye of little faith. the way to do it on an automatic is to take te intake off and find the hole on the top of the transmission bell housing. rotate the crank till the gap comes arond on the flexplate/tq converter and jam a prybar in there to stop the engine from turning. then you unbolt the crank pulley the same ason a manual. actually this is the way you do it for a MT car as well so you dont have to put it in gear and deal with having to overcome the spring force on the clutch disc hub as you try to unbolt the pulley.

I have the same issue with my 2.5i. If I don't rev it a little before I let out the clutch, it is very slow to get moving. I just assumed that the motor really sucks on the low end. It's really nice once it gets up to around 3500 RPM. I was wondering what little mods would help that out but I have learned to live with it. Now that it's snowing, I am super aware of the issue when I am pulling out in front of cars from a dead stop. I thought about a K&N filter and 91 octane gas seems to make it a little snappier but I don't want to pay for 91 gas and someone told me that it won't make a bit of difference in a 2.5i because it's set up for 87.

My 2000 Legacy L pulls strong from a dead stop so I was kinda shocked at how much the 2.5i lags if you let it.

K & N = good.

change in octane = bad as I found out this weekend. Stick to 87, youll run with fewer emissions and 89 and up apparently kills your gas mileage. I normally get 32 hwy, but with 89 I got 27 mpg. Weak.

The electronic throttle plate on my LGT was defective and would tend to stick closed. It often showed up by making the car very difficult to get going smoothly from a stop (MT). Give a little gas, nothing much, a little more, nothing much, a little more, way too much power, etc. It was finally tracked down when it would occasionally cause the engine to stall while coasting to a stop. Overall, it showed delay when transitioning from no throttle to light/medium throttle.

Just an idea.

Not sure if this is related but when blipping the throttle while in nuetral with the cluch up there is a slight delay before the engine responds. But when I blip the throttle with the clutch depressed (whether in nuetral or any gear) there is no delay..it is really minor not bothersome at all. I am guessing it has to do with the flywheel??

Archived