LegacyGT.com

OEM Navigation Voice Control - Video

grbspecb

Sure, will do.

I'm leaning towards installing the mic up at the top left corner of the headliner & the button right by the gear selector & my V1 remote audio unit, but we'll have to see how they work tested in those locations before I actually install them there...

Now that I'm thinking about it, I wonder if you can use the same mic that's used for the Parrot Bluetooth kits. It would be silly to have two microphones in the car, if you can make one work for both systems.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sure, will do.

I'm leaning towards installing the mic up at the top left corner of the headliner & the button right by the gear selector & my V1 remote audio unit, but we'll have to see how they work tested in those locations before I actually install them there...

I've got mine right above the drivers visor, sticking out a little bit and the mic doesn't work for crap. No one I know can get it to do anything, it just randomly chooses something to do. I've tried moving it but still no dice.

For the button, I unscrewed my sidrive panel and ran the wire behind it and put it back together.

Subaru probably disabled that too, because people can't talk and drive at the same time.

LMAO :lol: I do know some folks who proably shouldn't talk and drive. Or listen to music and drive. Or chew gum and drive. Or just plain drive.

Sad that we're tuned to the LCD...

2013 S4 - Glacier White - DSG - B&O - Tech Package - Sports Diff - Napa - RS4 Grille - Stasis Exhaust - APR Intake - KW Variant 1 - Stern Control Arms - CR-15 - Stasis RSB - Moog Endlinks - PC Hyper Black Peelers - Deval Front Lip - ECS Rear Diffuser - Carbon Imports Ducktail - ECS Mirror Caps - Relak Paddle Extensions - Autostyle Floor Mats - LED Interior - V1 - Blackvue DR900s -

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The only thing is I wish it muted the radio when I hit the mic button. I usually hit the mute on the steering column first. If the radio isn't too loud it does work though.

Hi all, I've been lurking for the past week and just recently purchased/pickedup my Spec.B Good read on the hacks/addons you guys have been doing to the Nav system. I just wanted to comment on this subject and I'm going to work on adding this feature in.

When I get a little time (and feel less guilty for hacking up a new car) I'm thinking of taking the wire for the steering wheel mute button and run it through a small circuit board inline with the mic button. It should be a straight foward design, {push mic button -> pushes the radio's mute once, release mic button -> radio's mute is pushed once more}

I've hacked a lot of electronics in my time and this just seems something fun/useful to create. Hopefully I can find parts to attach to stock harnesses so that I don't have to cut apart harnesses. Would cost a little more in parts, but would make for easy installs. If/when I finish this project I'll probably post up some tutorials on how to make. Wish me luck.

When I get a little time (and feel less guilty for hacking up a new car) I'm thinking of taking the wire for the steering wheel mute button and run it through a small circuit board inline with the mic button. It should be a straight foward design, {push mic button -> pushes the radio's mute once, release mic button -> radio's mute is pushed once more}

I've hacked a lot of electronics in my time and this just seems something fun/useful to create. Hopefully I can find parts to attach to stock harnesses so that I don't have to cut apart harnesses. Would cost a little more in parts, but would make for easy installs. If/when I finish this project I'll probably post up some tutorials on how to make. Wish me luck.

You'd better check out a wiring diagram first. You sound as if you think there's a separate wire connecting each button to the radio. That's not the case. Each button changes the resistance on a circuit, so there's only two wires connecting all the buttons to the radio. See http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=677144&postcount=102 for resistance values.

I haven't had time to wire the mic & button where I want it, but I have gotten it hooked up and boy, it's a bit rough at times. Mistakes commands at times and for the life of me I can't get 'Enter Destination' to work at all...

2013 S4 - Glacier White - DSG - B&O - Tech Package - Sports Diff - Napa - RS4 Grille - Stasis Exhaust - APR Intake - KW Variant 1 - Stern Control Arms - CR-15 - Stasis RSB - Moog Endlinks - PC Hyper Black Peelers - Deval Front Lip - ECS Rear Diffuser - Carbon Imports Ducktail - ECS Mirror Caps - Relak Paddle Extensions - Autostyle Floor Mats - LED Interior - V1 - Blackvue DR900s -

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

So-so. I'll have to see how I like it once the mic and button are placed. I can say I don't like that I'm stuck with the lame female voice. I like Alfred much better! :lol:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

No, Alfred (Nigel's not bad either, but the wifey already named him) still gives directions. Bizznatch confirms your voice commands and asks questions if there's any problems...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 3 weeks later...

Any pics on these installs... or thoughts now that you have been using it for a while?

I was thinking about installing this... it seems simple and quick, but if the functionality isn't that great, I'll stay away.

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][COLOR=Navy][B]"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'." -Jedi Master Yoda (I believe he was talking about the search tool)[URL="http://specb.jerkerstudios.com/"][/URL] [/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Any pics on these installs... or thoughts now that you have been using it for a while?

I was thinking about installing this... it seems simple and quick, but if the functionality isn't that great, I'll stay away.

It's a nifty add-on, but I'm not sure how much it's really worth by itself since the navigation system isn't integrated with the stereo or climate control and doesn't have bluetooth, etc. I put it in our VDC while doing a bunch of other things but I wouldn't have bothered pulling apart the interior for just the nav microphone.

phoenix96

2006 Legacy GT Ltd · 2011 Outback 3.6R Ltd · 1992 SVX

2006 Outback 3.0R VDC · 2009 Forester 2.5X

2002 Outback VDC · 1996 Outback 2.5L · 1986 GL-10

It's a nifty add-on, but I'm not sure how much it's really worth by itself since the navigation system isn't integrated with the stereo or climate control and doesn't have bluetooth, etc. I put it in our VDC while doing a bunch of other things but I wouldn't have bothered pulling apart the interior for just the nav microphone.

Cool. Thanks for the reply. If I go down the OEM XM Radio route, perhaps I can install it then. If not, it sounds like something I can do without.

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][COLOR=Navy][B]"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'." -Jedi Master Yoda (I believe he was talking about the search tool)[URL="http://specb.jerkerstudios.com/"][/URL] [/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Yeah, I'll have to say it's just okay. A few features short of being really useful...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yeah, I'll have to say it's just okay. A few features short of being really useful...

As it is... is it $65 useful?

• 3 months later...

I was having "trouble" with it never recognizing my voice commands. Ever.

I got the updated Nav discs this week and decided to try the mic once more and it started recognizing everything I said. I'm not pissed off about wasting money on this anymore.

CN: Try the new nav update if you have problems with the voice recognition.

Gah...

I tried to figure out what was they difference between my version v1.1 and v2 discs were and I could not find anything.

It's nice to know that Kenwood/Subaru/Denso decided to update functionality of a feature NAV that can't even be used by any stock Subaru. Yet, they don't update any of map infomation!

As long as the Nav is the same, which I believe it is, the mic should work.

I will be testing traffic hopefully this weekend. I will open a new thread for that.

So what ever happened to the traffic unit. Did it work? I have been searching around and have been unable to find anyone who has had it work or not.

added

It looks like we need to remove a knock out on the nav unit. Is there anything behind it? It looks like there are 3 places covered. The TMC Receiver, Active Speaker & Audio/Video Output.

I have not had a chance to open the dvd unit up and see if the plug is there

I remember reading the unit may be a 3100 and not a 3200 and does not even have the plugs.

hopefully this weekend i can take a look. if anyone knows if the plug is behind the knockout that would be awesome.

I read through the owner's manual and noticed a 2d/3d view (like nissan and toyota offer)... anyone know if we can tap into it?

I tried to activate the 3d map. Does not seem to work for the SOA version. Not sure if the issues is related to the DVD's or if the navigation firmware is locked down. The European version works.

Nemo me impune lacessit

Archived