LegacyGT.com

Stock Legacy GT tires seem ok, is something wrong with my senses?

rudy

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
...With over 40,000,000 miles reported, this tire comes in 20 our of 21 tires in its category with an extraordinary low score of 2.4 (out of 10) for "Would you buy this tire again?"

That is one statistic out of many. One statistic does not the truth make.

If you look at peoples comments on the Tirerack site, you will see they are all over the place, from people who think these tires are Hellspawn from the fiery pit to people who think they descended from Heaven.

I wouldn't buy them again either, because there are other tires out there that suit my needs for much less money.

However, that doesn't change the fact that I own a set because they were OEM'ed on my car. So, I have to decide whether to use them or throw them away. And from my personal experience, for my driving conditions, they are OK, just.

I'm not going to say I would recommend the RE92, but I think they're artificially expensive in the marketplace. I HIGHLY doubt Subaru (or Toyota or other OEMs who use RE92) are paying more for their tires than they could be paying for some of the better tire options on the market. Instead, Bridgestone marks up a cheap tire for the Retail segment because they know a lot of people will buy the same OEM tires and Bridgestone makes a big profit. Don't blame Subaru for that. They have nothing to do with retail pricing versus OEM direct pricing.

And if you look at the Tire Reviews on Tire Rack, most stock OEM tires get ripped to shreds in reviews - this isn't a Subaru Specific Issue. If you really want to see bad tire reviews, check out the stock rubber on the Altimas! :lol:

I'm at 22k relatively easy miles on our RE92's (wife does 98% of driving). They do not hydroplane at road legal speeds during heavy rain storms I have encountered.

Maybe they will go downhill soon as treadwear continues(only appear 40% worn), we shall see this winter.

I'm at 22k relatively easy miles on our RE92's (wife does 98% of driving). They do not hydroplane at road legal speeds during heavy rain storms I have encountered.

When I first got my car back in '05 I thought that the RE92's were pretty decent tires - and I think that they were. They seemed solid on dry ground, slipped occasionally in the rain (but I figured out pretty quickly that gassing my way through a corner on wet roads was a Bad Idea) and seemed OK in the snow. However - as time goes on and I've now got 21K on these tires I have become more and more worried about their performance. I was driving down 95 just south of Philadelphia the other night in a rain storm and I felt the car slipping at 60MPH on some road surfaces - that's Bad. No wait, it wasn't bad, it was just plain terrifying.

So, all that said - I'm going to take the money I've been setting aside for those new Cobb pipes and a tune and order another set of Bridgestones this week, this time though it's the going to be the 960's.

-

Jim

Well, I decided to not find out for myself how they'll perform in cold/wet conditions. Ordered some Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2's to go on the stock rims and I guess I'll get something like Azenis for the warmer months.

The only time I've ever noticed a dramatic improvement in the dry grip of a new set of tires over the set I was replacing was when I replaced my RE92s.

It is just unbelievable how little grip the RE 92 offers, under any conditions, but its difficult to believe that you notice how little dry grip the tire has. I mean, how often does anyone approach the limits of their tires in the dry, in any car?

IT is a safety issue so treat it as such.

Its only a safety issue if the driver doesn't know what they are dealing with, or is inattentive while driving. If anyone feels uncomfortable driving on RE-92s, then I would have to recommend to replace them. But, I think the average driver won't push the car to the point where the RE-92s will be a problem. For better or for worse, we are on an enthusiasts website, and a majority will be pushing their cars harder on the street compared with the average driver and will notice the shortcomings of the RE-92 sooner (and there lies yet another rant of taking it to the track, but I'll spare everyone right now).

Driving on RE-92s, IMO, is not a safety issue, it just simply isn't. I still firmly believe that a driver should never blame the equipment, because quite simply, it is the job of the driver to make sure the equipment is satisfactory and then to drive within the limits of the equipment and the environment. I wish people buying high horsepower cars were more in tune with what they are buying (and some are, and replace the tires to suit their needs -- this isn't a rail against them). But, personal responsibility is thrown out the door a lot of the times nowadays, and its much easier to blame the equipment then to accept responsibility. And in that sense, maybe it is a safety issue, but an issue to be brought up with SOA, not just on an enthusiasts message board.

Personally, I've had plenty of times when I've nearly hit a deer mid-corner, or been forced to stop short due to an inattentive SUV driver, but not once did the RE92s cause an accident. They never broke traction and they never caused me to rear end anyone due to increased braking distance. In fact, the only "accident" my car has seen is when it was parked and my neighbor backed into it.

Lastly, if I were to pick a greater disservice to consumers by Subaru, it would have to be putting the RE070 on the STi. It is an awful idea to put summer only tires on an AWD vehicle, and most dealers don't tell the customers their new tires are not good for the snow. And if you want to see hydroplaning, these tires are some of the worst offenders I've ever seen. But, on the other hand they are a great dry street tire. For what its worth, I like the tires a lot and have a set, but I keep them off the car for street driving (esp. in the inclement seasons).

I am really attempting to remain civil in this discussion, but you are in no position to decide how and why people have had dangerous experiences.

Who do you think you are?

It is extremely ignorant to come from that perspective, and belies how little you truly understand about driving conditions.

Additionaly, it is ignorant to assume that because for whatever reason you haven't had the issues that no one else has? Or better yet, that it was their fault that it happened if it did?

the multiple times I had issues with the Re-92s were not a high speeds, or even regular speeds. They were at weather specific speeds (e.g. slow in snowy or icy conditions, and the same for deep water.

These are sentiments shared by many members here, and of other car boards.

We are not making any assumptions about you, so dont about any of us.

I will continue to advise anyone who lives in an area like North East where you have wet, snowy and icy conditions to switch them out.

The contiextremes I replaced them with instill a confidence in inclement weather that wasnt conceivable with the RE92s.

you need to seriously check yourself.

Look, my point wasn't that I'm a great driver. Or that I safely escaped on the RE-92s and everyone else should be able to too. I still don't have a first place trophy from Nationals on my book case, nor am I completely accident free. I don't mean to imply that I am a great driver, but I have been good enough and safe enough to stay out of most accidents even ones that wouldn't have been counted as my fault.

My point is that it is really up to the driver to decide what they want and that a person should never blame the equipment in the event of an accident, because the driver implicitly or explicitly chose that equipment. Heck, I'd even be okay with people blaming the equipment, if they would own up to it being partially responsible for buying it.

And in my opinion of the original poster's question, replacing the RE-92s is a waste of money and a waste of an okay tire. And in my experience, which includes growing up in an area that varies wildly in driving conditions (from 110 degree days to driving on sub-1 inch of ice), on many different sets of tires, the RE-92 seem adequate. And it has also been my personal experiences that most accidents 'blamed' on RE-92s could have been avoided by safer driving. I'm not basing this on accounts that I've read on the internet, nor opinions from other people. They are simply my direct experiences which directly form my opinions, which I will share when asked.

So, in summary, if the OP doesn't like the tires then they should get new ones. Personally, I think its a waste, but if it its what they want, then they should do it. And their action doesn't invalidate my or anyone else's opinion on the matter. And since you have an experience that relates more directly to the original poster, thankfully we've been lucky enough that he listened to you instead of me. But, a different opinion on my part is never meant to be an insult on an opposing opinion. I am merely trying to relate my direct experience with the tires and if you took it as an insult, I apologize. I know my tone was a bit harsh, but I intentionally do that in the hopes of getting someone to listen. It was never meant as an insult to anyone specifically.

So, have I checked myself enough?

snip

Lastly, if I were to pick a greater disservice to consumers by Subaru, it would have to be putting the RE070 on the STi. It is an awful idea to put summer only tires on an AWD vehicle, and most dealers don't tell the customers their new tires are not good for the snow. And if you want to see hydroplaning, these tires are some of the worst offenders I've ever seen. But, on the other hand they are a great dry street tire. For what its worth, I like the tires a lot and have a set, but I keep them off the car for street driving (esp. in the inclement seasons).

Dude I have to disagree with both of you. You are both preaching! The 070 is an excellent high performance summer tire, and people are aware of this. If you buy a $35 k car and cant afford a set of winter tires, then you should buy another car IMO - but anyway, people know these are summer only.

Second, I don't agree that it is a safety issue per se, but the car is soo much more capable than the perforamance the tires can deliver - acceleration, cornering, and braking - that putting this tire on the GT version of the car is, well, putting it mildly, a poor choice.

Finally, IMO the tire offers so little grip under certain conditions - cold (under 40 F) with a wet road but no standing water, that it could be a safety issue if, for example, a deer runs out on you and you have to make an emergency course correction.

Under normal circumstances, though, I have to agree with the mother hens in the thread that if you feel like your car cant keep up with the conditions then you should slow your ass down. This just seems to be common sense to me - or Darwinism at work - take your pick.

Anyway as much as I do NOT like this tire, there's no need for all of us to get upset about it.

:icon_bigg

Dude I have to disagree with both of you. You are both preaching! The 070 is an excellent high performance summer tire, and people are aware of this. If you buy a $35 k car and cant afford a set of winter tires, then you should buy another car IMO - but anyway, people know these are summer only.

Second, I don't agree that it is a safety issue per se, but the car is soo much more capable than the perforamance the tires can deliver - acceleration, cornering, and braking - that putting this tire on the GT version of the car is, well, putting it mildly, a poor choice.

Finally, IMO the tire offers so little grip under certain conditions - cold (under 40 F) with a wet road but no standing water, that it could be a safety issue if, for example, a deer runs out on you and you have to make an emergency course correction.

Under normal circumstances, though, I have to agree with the mother hens in the thread that if you feel like your car cant keep up with the conditions then you should slow your ass down. This just seems to be common sense to me - or Darwinism at work - take your pick.

Anyway as much as I do NOT like this tire, there's no need for all of us to get upset about it.

:icon_bigg

I must disagree with in part about the 070s, but I can definitely agree with the rest.

Unfortunately, I've met a lot of STi drivers here in Nevada and over the hill in California, who are not aware that the 070 is a summer only tire. And it pains me to see that these cars are getting sold without that information. Its not a question of means to buy new tires, but a question of the dealerships (and the consumer) not being properly informed about the tires on the new vehicle.

I do think they are an amazing tire though. I've competed on them exclusively for the past two autocross seasons. The only reason I won't use them again is that I want to try out a different tire.

Koan,

Okay if thats how you feel, but it is hard for me to understand/feel sympathy for some dude buying a hellishly fast car and never taking a look at the rubber.

IMO, and forgive the stereotyping, but these must be bubba's you're talking about.

Really difficult to feel bad for guys like this. You shouldn't need the dealer to tell you that a nearly slick tire wont be very useful in winter.

I'm buying an RX8 a the moment, and even though these guys know I'm very knowledgable about the car they have told me 3 times now that I should get snows on separate wheels or garage the car.

Hell, three years ago I was just considering a 3 series coupe and before I got far into the conversation the sales guy told me there are summer only tires on the car and I'd need an alternative for winter.

Anyway I guess I'm starting to sound like I'm tellin' you like it is, and I don't want or mean to do that, so pls take all this as JMO.

But I feel pretty strongly aboutthe bubbas comment =P

okay so lets look at this from a logic perspective.

Because you havent had a problem with the re92s, that means that others who say they have are wrong or were the cause of it? :confused:

Changing to the contis improved in every way. I can go through fairly deep water in heavy rain and no scary hydroplaning...same with snow. Not to mention, dry conditions are improved as well.

whatever....

Any noobs reading this, be warned.

good luck with those tires..:icon_wink

LOL reminds me of my argumentative father in law who once tried to tell me that just because chevy sold hundreds of thousands of some shit box late 90s' chevy every year that it must be a great car, and why buy my A4 when I can have that shitbox that the public appears to approve so highly of.

LOL God after that I don't take his advice about anything - even whether I should wear a sweater outside!

:lol:

Hah, I don't take offense to the bubba's statement, cause its probably true.

Actually, a more accurate statement would be bubba's and ricers, or anyone else that wants the car so bad they don't know what they are buying. :lol:

Its not that I have sympathy for them, I'm just flabbergasted when I get blank stares when I mention how "Those tires won't do well when winter hits. They are summer only." And its definitely more of a comment on the dealership then anything else.

Same thing is happening with MS6 folks regarding summer tires. Think the MS6 is worse scenario, certainly not as performance-oriented as th STI.

Curious how some folks are finding the RE92s fine at posted highway speed limits in the rain while others don't. Temperature/road condition issues perhaps?

FWIW, I did some A/B testing last night on some icy roads: my old car w/ Blizzaks (not sure which model) and my LGT, bought two weeks ago w/ RE92s and 15k miles. Mostly just brake testing, plus just a little bit of hooliganism.

You'd expect a big difference, since the Blizzaks are a winter tire and the RE92s are (ostensibly) a performance tire... and you'd be right. There is indeed a big difference. With the RE92s, ABS kicks in much sooner in straight-line braking. When the Blizzaks would be gripping and slowing the car down effectively, the RE92s were sliding and not slowing much.

Also rode the RE92s up into the mountains to go snowboarding, without incident. I couldn't call them unsafe, but I can certainly see why people who drive much on snow/ice want to get better tires. I'll be getting some.

When I took off my F1's for the winter and put the RE92's it was comical driving the car, like driving on snow.. except the roads were bone dry..

Above ~45mph the tires will give no warning that they are about to lose grip.. and again, it's like you're driving on snow as you are sliding with no tire squeal..

I better keep my eyes wide open on MA roads for you guys sliding all over the place on RE92s. I don't want you hitting me!

Mine have been "OK". I did last winter in them gingerly. Now at 22K that would be crazy in my mind. Wet performance has fallen off significantly since a year ago too, at which time highway hydroplaning at 60-70mph was rare. I probably have about 6/32 left. After the Nokians come off after the winter, I'll likely try to get rid of the RE92s and get some summer rubber.

Tires are a personal choice. You guys that are bitching are just as guilty as the guys that are saying that they are fine.

If a person looses control of their car... it could be due to the weather, the tires, or the persons lack to understanding where the driving limits are. Either way... it isn't because that person was a dolt or because they were reckless. That is why they call it an accident. Yet the RE92 is cast out as the sole party responsible. Come on. The tires do not drive the car...

Anyone who comes on this board gets it HAMMERED into them that the RE92's are the worst thing to EVER happen to the automotive industry.

I understand that some of you have had bad experiences (Godwhomismike, etc)... but ... you shouldn't get pissed when other side states their opinion.

I, personally think that the RE92s are an average all season tire. I have 45K miles on my first set. I've never had a puncture. I've never had any issues, actually. They are very predictable tires when you push them to the limit. Yeah... this is all IMHO. But opinions are like a$$holes... everyone has one.

But... it is a two sided discussion point... either you like them.. or you hate them. All the arguing in the world won't change your opionion......

or anyone elses....

Archived