LegacyGT.com

SOA 5MT Cruise Control Fix Incompatible with AP/TDC Reflash

Jon in CT

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I dont think it's a map issue. All my car needed was a thinner gasket on the neutral switch.

Works perfectly now.

Maybe there are different problems? I logged my car and it is a NPS issue (shows up as ON almost all the time, so cruise control will never activate). I didn't try trimming the gasket/washer on the switch, but I did replace the switch and it made no difference.

Maybe it is worth pulling it out again.

phoenix96

2006 Legacy GT Ltd · 2011 Outback 3.6R Ltd · 1992 SVX

2006 Outback 3.0R VDC · 2009 Forester 2.5X

2002 Outback VDC · 1996 Outback 2.5L · 1986 GL-10

Maybe there are different problems? I logged my car and it is a NPS issue (shows up as ON almost all the time, so cruise control will never activate). I didn't try trimming the gasket/washer on the switch, but I did replace the switch and it made no difference.

Maybe it is worth pulling it out again.

I looked at my invoice. They replaced the switch AND the gasket.

Switch PN 32008AA113

gasket PN 11126AA000- THIS MAY BE AN OIL DRAIN PLUG GASKET, NOT SURE.

I looked at my invoice. They replaced the switch AND the gasket.

Switch PN 32008AA113

gasket PN 11126AA000- THIS MAY BE AN OIL DRAIN PLUG GASKET, NOT SURE.

According to the part catalog, 11126AA000 is indeed a drain plug gasket - is that actually related to the NPS problem?

phoenix96

His post is 50% misinformation

AP V2 will not have this issue

Is that because the new base maps that the AP V2 uses have the fix already included? Or does it somehow just apply the tuning changes to your car's existing software? (Because clearly I don't have the Subaru OEM software 'fix', I'm wondering if I switched to an AP V2 if it would solve the problem or if I would have to take the car to the dealership to get the ECU flashed first)

phoenix96

According to the part catalog, 11126AA000 is indeed a drain plug gasket - is that actually related to the NPS problem?

No, the new switch comes with the thinner gasket required. I think the gasket is also avail separate. Let me know if you need an PN for it. It MAY be a TSB, not sure.

No, the new switch comes with the thinner gasket required. I think the gasket is also avail separate. Let me know if you need an PN for it. It MAY be a TSB, not sure.

That could be helpful, actually. I replaced the switch but the new part I got was exactly identical to the old one, so maybe I inadvertently bought an old-style NPS.

phoenix96

I checked my records, that's the same part I ordered two months ago - it came with a gasket that's exactly the same as the original one that was on the car. :icon_conf

phoenix96

• 2 weeks later...
Is that because the new base maps that the AP V2 uses have the fix already included? Or does it somehow just apply the tuning changes to your car's existing software? (Because clearly I don't have the Subaru OEM software 'fix', I'm wondering if I switched to an AP V2 if it would solve the problem or if I would have to take the car to the dealership to get the ECU flashed first)

Any updates, TDC?

phoenix96

My early 2005 GT Wagon has a newer ECU because of the fans sticking on. I have had AP installed since Dec. 04.

Last month my car began dropping out of cruise sometimes. Seems to happen mostly after going down a long hill.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 3 months later...

Has anyone attempted to fix this problem by short circuiting the neutral postion switch? So, hack the switch so it always tells teh ECU that the shifter is in gear? I ask this because the dealer has a flash that will just ignore the switch. However, there seems to be a problem with the AP overwriting that flash.

Any thoughts?

Has anyone attempted to fix this problem by short circuiting the neutral postion switch? So, hack the switch so it always tells teh ECU that the shifter is in gear? I ask this because the dealer has a flash that will just ignore the switch. However, there seems to be a problem with the AP overwriting that flash.

Any thoughts?

That might be my next attempt. Any negatives? Obviously, if the cruise control was set and you somehow got into neutral that wouldn't be good - but there's also a clutch sensor that should disengage the cruise control, right?

phoenix96

That might be my next attempt. Any negatives? Obviously, if the cruise control was set and you somehow got into neutral that wouldn't be good - but there's also a clutch sensor that should disengage the cruise control, right?

Yes, there is definitely a clutch sensor. Also, I suspect your worried that the revs will climb as if it's floored in neutral. They won't, trust me. They'll climb much more gradually.

Yes, there is definitely a clutch sensor. Also, I suspect your worried that the revs will climb as if it's floored in neutral. They won't, trust me. They'll climb much more gradually.

That's good to know. The other question, I guess, is how exactly to short out the switch so that the car thinks it is never in neutral?

phoenix96

That's good to know. The other question, I guess, is how exactly to short out the switch so that the car thinks it is never in neutral?

As soon as I can find the time to jack the car up and pull the switch, I'll figure that out. Or, I should say, I'll pull the switch and bring it to my dad. He has an EE degree from MIT so I think he can figure it out.

As soon as I can find the time to jack the car up and pull the switch, I'll figure that out. Or, I should say, I'll pull the switch and bring it to my dad. He has an EE degree from MIT so I think he can figure it out.

The switch is a simple two-wire deal. It seems to be an open circuit when the nub end of the switch is not pressed in, and a closed circuit when it is.

The problem I've identified by logging the car's computer is that the NPS reports "1" almost all of the time, indicating the car is in neutral when it is not and thus preventing the cruise control from activating.

Maybe simply unplugging the switch would be enough to make the car's computer think it is in the "0" state all the time and therefore fix the problem? That seems too simple.

phoenix96

Will the car start when it isn't in neutral?

Yes - the car won't start unless the clutch is in. The clutch sensor is separate from the transmission's neutral position switch so it shouldn't matter if the NPS thinks the car is in gear.

phoenix96

The switch is a simple two-wire deal. It seems to be an open circuit when the nub end of the switch is not pressed in, and a closed circuit when it is.

The problem I've identified by logging the car's computer is that the NPS reports "1" almost all of the time, indicating the car is in neutral when it is not and thus preventing the cruise control from activating.

Maybe simply unplugging the switch would be enough to make the car's computer think it is in the "0" state all the time and therefore fix the problem? That seems too simple.

That'd be sweet if it works. So just unplug and zip tie the plug to something so it's not flapping around. I *might* have time for that this weekend.

That'd be sweet if it works. So just unplug and zip tie the plug to something so it's not flapping around. I *might* have time for that this weekend.

I tried it this afternoon. The bad news is that it did not fix the problem. Of course, it does make sense that when the switch is not pressed in, it would be in neutral - that way if the switch were to fail, cruise control would shut off.

I guess it's back to shorting it - stick a resistor in the connector?

phoenix96

I tried it this afternoon. The bad news is that it did not fix the problem. Of course, it does make sense that when the switch is not pressed in, it would be in neutral - that way if the switch were to fail, cruise control would shut off.

I guess it's back to shorting it - stick a resistor in the connector?

Or just short it.

Archived