LegacyGT.com

Broken hard brake line

MDW25gt

which one did you break? Mccorry got it on the dot, you just have to suck it in and replace that entire line.. I dont think there's a quick fix for easy line flaring kits that I know of that you can get the end replaced with a new nut/coupler...

you can try to look on http://www.mcmaster.com to see if there's anything that you can get, but your best option is just go to the dealer for this part.

Keefe

Go see your dealer (or your friendly neighborhood parts store), get a replacement hardline and swap it in.

Seems sorta obvious, doesn't it?

In the midst of putting stainless line on I broke thehard brake line. Now what do I do?

Any suggestions please. Did a search on the topic and found nothing.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

oem is great if it is affordable and prebent, but if not prebent, take a stab at it yourself, i am in the process of bending one from the autostore as i did the same thing you did a month or so ago. It may not be EXACTLY like the original, but it should mesh up with all of the preset clamps to hold it in place that the factory one went through. other than being slow, its not hard, at least not for the front ones, and i doubt it would be bad for any of the others. Not by meatwad:

Jerami1981

In the midst of putting stainless line on I broke thehard brake line. Now what do I do?

Any suggestions please. Did a search on the topic and found nothing.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Your decision will probably depend on which line you broke. If it's one of the short lines mounted to the rear control arm just buy one from the dealer or an online place. I replaced one of those and it was only $17 at the dealer. However, if you broke one of the long lines it may be a different story, depending on the cost.

OK heres the fix. I broke one of the back lines. Twisted off as I tried to unscrew the fitting. Walked to the nearby Pep Boys, and bought the replacement fitting i.e. the nut. Also bought a double flaring tool. $16.00.

Used a tubing cutter and cut as little off as possible. Worked the new nut on and did a single flare. (those lines do not like to flare being steel.) Also did not realize they were double flare until I looked at the broken one today. I was able to tighten it up and get a seal.

So now I have four oem brembo rotors, hawk HPS pads all around and Stainless lines with Motul RBF 600. I felt a big difference when I put the brembos and HPS on the back. (I had the fronts done for a while already.) Drove for a few hundred miles and put the SS lines on over the weekend. I did not notice as big a difference when I did the lines. Might need to re-bleed??

Thanks for all of the help.

Mike

Did I read it right that you used a single flare? Might want to rethink that, they're double flared for a reason; single flares tend to be prone to cracking / bending which can cause a leak (and potentially a sudden leak).

+1.... You don't want to leave it that way! :eek:

Brake lines use a double flare... so it is an expensive tool.

Plus... double flaring a line while it is on the car is impossible.

I disagree.

You can get a Lisel double flare tool for $30 cnd. The Snap-on is around $50-60. The crappy "Power Fist" one can be had for less than $20.

I've done double flares on car. It is possible if there is enough clearance. It really depends on the line and the location of the break. Sometimes you can just loosen a few retainers to get enough play to pull the line away from the body.

OK heres the fix. I broke one of the back lines. Twisted off as I tried to unscrew the fitting. Walked to the nearby Pep Boys, and bought the replacement fitting i.e. the nut. Also bought a double flaring tool. $16.00.

Used a tubing cutter and cut as little off as possible. Worked the new nut on and did a single flare. (those lines do not like to flare being steel.) Also did not realize they were double flare until I looked at the broken one today. I was able to tighten it up and get a seal.

So now I have four oem brembo rotors, hawk HPS pads all around and Stainless lines with Motul RBF 600. I felt a big difference when I put the brembos and HPS on the back. (I had the fronts done for a while already.) Drove for a few hundred miles and put the SS lines on over the weekend. I did not notice as big a difference when I did the lines. Might need to re-bleed??

Thanks for all of the help.

Mike

The single flare will probably last you a few months to a year. One of my buddies uses single flares (despite my objections) on his own vehicle. About once a year he nukes a line.

I disagree.

You can get a Lisel double flare tool for $30 cnd. The Snap-on is around $50-60. The crappy "Power Fist" one can be had for less than $20.

I've done double flares on car. It is possible if there is enough clearance. It really depends on the line and the location of the break. Sometimes you can just loosen a few retainers to get enough play to pull the line away from the body.

I didn't know you could get them that cheap now.... thanks.

You hit the nail on the head. IF you can get enough cleance.

Have you looked at the LGT brake line routing? There isn't alot of room or flexability.

Archived