Dual HVAC, Double Din, XM, Back up Camera Finally Finished

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

dashafterfill.thumb.jpg.abef76d7be2814df3e986e19c7ff1628.jpg

1)I mounted the z1 using the factory brackets. Did'nt have to rework them too much, just had to move the radio up about 1/4" by redrilling the mounting holes.

2)I used some laminate strips around the z1's face to give me the proper size of the opening in the trim panel. Basically this gave me about 1/8" gap around the z1's face plate. Taped the hell out of it and mounted back into the dash.

3)Cut the oem trim panel out to accomedate the new radio, plus the laminate, plus a little wiggle room. The little cuts I made around the old knob and button holes are there to give the filler some more surface area to attach to. Used some more laminate behind the knob and button holes so the filler would'nt fall into the abyss.

4) Taped everthing I did not want filler to stick to. Then mounted front trim using factory mounts

5)Smashed filler into open holes and all around radio. Good idea to do small sections at a time and be patient.

6)After filler dried I pulled it all apart, filler should'nt stick to tape, just to the plastic of the oem trim.

radiotrimrough.thumb.jpg.89a712c027d61928f94b1db229dd15c4.jpg

7)sanded the excess off. filled some pin holes and voids with more filler.

8)sanded

9)sanded

10)sanded

11)did I mention sanding?

12)used a high build primer on the whole piece and then sanded some more

13)painted the whole piece and sanded between coats.

Filler-SEM 39492 NO SWELL PLASTIC PANEL FILLER

Paint-SEM 39253 Med Titanium Bumper Coat

The paint was about 1/2 a shade off from the factory color so I painted the trim around the shift boot and ashtray so it all matched.

dashbeforefill1.thumb.jpg.9ba4a6951f1d1f27edac5c2bc114c577.jpg

dashbeforefill2.thumb.jpg.05e51629a671e4ae0acf7842e0209bd9.jpg

Nice pics Tom, I saw this first hand and played around with it. I don't think he wants to get involved in another install like this (hack factory board)

bump for tom

(ps i just got your message today apparently nextel likes to wait x amount of days before telling my about my messages

-Brian

since you insist, lol

what would it cost for you to do the hacking in my car???

:)

Sorry, I won't do the radio hack for anyone. It's not that I don't want to help anyone out but-

1)way to much down time for someones car-about 2 weeks

2)not cost effective-2 weeks labor about $4000

3)can't guarentee it's going to work flawless forever.

I would wait for TDC's fix.

Nice pics Tom, I saw this first hand and played around with it. I don't think he wants to get involved in another install like this (hack factory board)

bump for tom

(ps i just got your message today apparently nextel likes to wait x amount of days before telling my about my messages

-Brian

Thanks Brian

how much do u charger for labor for doin mine :)

And just two posts before yours:

Sorry, I won't do the radio hack for anyone. It's not that I don't want to help anyone out but-

1)way to much down time for someones car-about 2 weeks

2)not cost effective-2 weeks labor about $4000

3)can't guarentee it's going to work flawless forever.

I would wait for TDC's fix.

BTW, how is the view of the Z1 in that location? Is the screen hard/weird to read at that angle? I dont think it should be, but id hate to do all this and have it hard to glance at..

no problems seeing the display, even in pass. seat. The buttons on the Z1 "feel" like they are in the right spot, easy to reach.

Tom

Awesome!

Can you play video on the top screen while doing navigation on the bottom? If so that is a great system!

X

No, you should'nt watch movies while driving and the factory screen has lock outs in place to stop this from working. That being said I'm sure there is a way around it but I would'nt know anything about doing it.:lol:

Tom

haha gotcha. :) I guess the better question is does it have dual zones so let's say if you had passenger in the back you can do another screen to allow them to watch movies while you have control of GPS upfront?

I had a clarion system that did this well back in the days.

X

---

haha gotcha. :) I guess the better question is does it have dual zones so let's say if you had passenger in the back you can do another screen to allow them to watch movies while you have control of GPS upfront?

I had a clarion system that did this well back in the days.

X

YES!

I did the full Clarion 5.1 DVD system in my Jeep Grand Cherokee when I had it. I LOVED it. Sounded awesome. Of course, I am going to do the Clarion set up in the Suby also, but I have not decided if I am going to do this radio hack up custom job, or if I will chicken out and do the cubby pod route with the new "MAX-NAX" system from Clarion. It does DVD and Navi and all that sort of stuff - plus the iPod interface on it is just amazing. Way easier to op than the Kenwood, Pioneer or Alpine. Personal preference though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Great work!

Some questions

1. Was there much soldering involved to get a video input to your OEM screen?

2. Hw do you switch the OEM screen between nav and aux input? Do you use the stock software?

Reason for the above questions is that I'm looking into using a ipod video or similar to hold music, videos ect and interfacing it with the stock stereo via the aux input and having a video input would make control much easier...

wow.. you sir.. are a god!

excellent work! car show/factory quality! if you can find a good way to make kits like that (maybe a core charge of the a/c and radio system) people would probablly pay you well to do it.. although, I'm sure your time is not cheap.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

wow.. you sir.. are a god!

excellent work! car show/factory quality! if you can find a good way to make kits like that (maybe a core charge of the a/c and radio system) people would probablly pay you well to do it.. although, I'm sure your time is not cheap.

Thanks darkfox.

I thought about doing what you described above but I'd always be worried about something failing.

If I charged someone to do a job and later on down the road say a connection goes bad and that person lives 1000 miles away they would have to rip the whole package out and send it to me to trouble shoot.

That would leave that person without a working HVAC system until the problem was resolved.

And the only way to test if I've either completed a new working unit or fixed a defective one is to test it in my car..PITA

BTW (knock on wood) mine has been working perfect.

Lets all hope TDC comes through with their replacement piece!

TOM

Hey Tom...

Let me start by saying Great Work.. Even with my EE degree, I wouldn't want to start cutting things away as you did.. So I ordered the JDM 2x DIN kit and will try and hack it myself ( I can't wait anymore for someone else to get that going ! )..

My question to you is about your idea of placing the XM Ant under the hood scoop.. I have a LGT Wagon with the spoiler over the rear window.. I think I will take you lead and place the ant inside of this spoiler.. I talked to the local Subie dealer and they showed me how to take it off..

Would you still recommend going in this direction or have you had second thoughts based on the reception you get with the ant under plastic..

-Fiche

Hey Tom...

Let me start by saying Great Work.. Even with my EE degree, I wouldn't want to start cutting things away as you did.. So I ordered the JDM 2x DIN kit and will try and hack it myself ( I can't wait anymore for someone else to get that going ! )..

My question to you is about your idea of placing the XM Ant under the hood scoop.. I have a LGT Wagon with the spoiler over the rear window.. I think I will take you lead and place the ant inside of this spoiler.. I talked to the local Subie dealer and they showed me how to take it off..

Would you still recommend going in this direction or have you had second thoughts based on the reception you get with the ant under plastic..

-Fiche

I put my wife's XM ant. under the rear glass spoiler on her 2.5i wagon.

She gets great reception, I'd go that route if I drove the wagon.

Tom