LegacyGT.com

questions about buying a car from out-of-state.

rvlmtfnk

so i'm going to be in the market soon for a used car, hopefully a LGT wagon... in any case, this will be my first car purchase in the US... so i need to orient myself with the rules and regulations pertaining to buying a car here..

i am going to college in pittsburgh, and will have a Pennsylvania driver's license, but my parents live in new york city. there's hardly any selection of used cars in pittsburgh, at least relative to new york, so i want to buy the car in new york.

can anyone introduce me to the procedures of insurance/car registration? what is the timeline of what to do and in which state to do it in?

can i buy the car in new york and drive it to pennsylvania and get insurance for pennsylvania? can i drive the car to pittsburgh without it being registered yet? any comments/suggestions/tips would be vastly appreciated.

i dont know about used cars but i bought my lgt wagon new from out of state. the dealer in az gave me temporary tags and i had to pay az tax on the car. when i registered the car in ca they applied the az tax against the ca tax since i already paid it (they have reciprocity agreement). then i was sent a refund of my az registration.

i would think for a used car you would be fine without registering it until you registered it in pennsylvania so long as the car had current registration in new york. you WILL want to have insurance from day one....being out of state wont make a difference there (or shouldnt at least).

You should go to the PA DMV's website and look up the law there. But since you are a student in some states it's ok to drive with out of state registration and insurance. As long as your license, registration and insurance all have the same address the cop is not going to give you too much problem. So the easy way is to just register and insure the car with your parents' address in NY. Then again it might be cheaper to register and insure in PA than NY.

my driver's license has my pennsylvania address.. so i would have to have my insurance and registration in pennsylvania.

so tell me if i'm correct in saying this:

buy car privately in new york; purchase insurance while in new york; register car in pennsylvania... is that right?

Archived