LegacyGT.com

juddering of wheel at maximum lock in reverse

trubspecb

I have a 2006 3.0r SpecB 5 speed auto legacy in the UK.

when i reverse out of a parking space, and apply maximum left hand steering lock, the left front wheel judders; almost as if i have run over a stone.

it has done this a few times now, in the same place and circumstances.

there was a service bulletin 02-98-05 (dated 12/01/05) to cover something like this, on 2005 cars, but i would have hoped they would have sorted it on the 2006 cars?

before i take it to the dealer i wondered if anyone else had experienced this on a 2006 or 2007 car?

thanks in anticipation.

it's also putting a lot of stress to put your steering at full lock, that can wear out your pump.. subarus (and many newer cars) dont like it when you put the steering at full lock.. I know a few people who have blown their power steering from doing donuts in the snow by having the wheel locked for too long of periods.
Keefe

thanks for your thoughts.

the car drives fine apart from this judder on full lock in reverse.

i read the handbook again last night and i wondered if it could be a combination of the ABS and VDC self testing at start up and first movement?

the book warns you may feel strange movements through the steering and brakes when these systems self test.

i will try the same scenario with a running car i.e pull into the parking space and then immediately back out, on full lock ,to see if it occurs then?

any more thoughts welcomed?

• 7 months later...
Did you ever fix this? My car does it and I am told by subaru there is a sensor on the steering which disengages the centre dif. Sometimes this goes bad and you then get diff wind up on full lock in reverse (it affects the forward steering too).

huh, I thought I was crazy.. mine does this every now and then.. its as if I'm running over several small bumps as I back up. Not every time. its done it twice in 6 months and I never pul through parking really anymore so I back out a LOT.. oif it does it more I will have to make a service call on it. consider this a lurking subscription also :p
"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

Hmmm,

Done some more investigation, got under the car everything seems OK, checked the diagnostics and got a C0119 - G sensor signal abnormal. I will pull out the centre console and check out the sensor (and swap it with the one in my sedan) and see if it makes a difference.

BTW mine is a 5MT Bspec

• 1 year later...

Archived