LegacyGT.com

Nos Pros And Cons... Not Rice!!

Guest subiecity

NITROUS OXIDE APPLICATIONS..RICE OR NOT?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. NITROUS OXIDE APPLICATIONS..RICE OR NOT?

• YES
    • NO

Guest subiecity
i had my topic closed cuz apparently to some people think adding nitrous is considered rice, im into autoX and track, quarter mile ect....back to the nitrous applications i was asking around to what other people think about using NOS is it worth it or not even in reall small does giving u an extra 30-75 HP on demand all nitrous companies claiming that the use of nitrous will not effect your cars reliabitiy, that is if u stay in the boundries of using it in small doses do u think its worth the few hundred bucks.....and if anyone thinks NOS is rice u are seriosly living under a rock, the defintion of rice is a honda civic slammed to the ground with stock shocks and bump guards, with a 6 inch muffler and flmaes across the side.....not a 2006 legacy pushing juice on the track, or even street for that matter heres sum pics... is this rice to u?

1.jpg.e9dbf264ea8ef3db5863c101142cc7ed.jpg

2.jpg.cde2e377ea8d2c23bffaa1f2fc055b6c.jpg

3.jpg.543dbeaa7bff0d83749f33a54d3a42af.jpg

4.jpg.cc732cd95a2a38eca93096307a28909f.jpg

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if the 1/4 time is the most important thing to you then nitrous seems to be the best bang for the buck.

if autox and other stuff like that that requires power for more than 15 seconds straight nitrous in not the way to go.

ibtl, the problem with NOS is most people don't understand how easy it is to blow your motor.

something thats easy to use is easy to abuse.

if you understand thr risks and know the limits of your engine, go for it.

i used to have on my car and had many trouble free miles....

ibtl, the problem with NOS is most people don't understand how easy it is to blow your motor.

something thats easy to use is easy to abuse.

if you understand thr risks and know the limits of your engine, go for it.

i used to have on my car and had many trouble free miles....

If you get a good tune and are within the limits of the motor, then nitrous is as safe as a blower or turbo. It's people who think their unbuilt motor can handle 200hp shot that makes nitrous look dangerous. It's just like someone who bolts on a turbo or a blower and gets a crappy tune.

For initial investment, nitrous can be a good, cheap alternative.

Power when you want it, kits are cheap, and no major engine modifications are necessary for lesser power levels.

But if you're going to use it a lot, or you want a serious power adder, it just seems cost ineffective and silly to me. For frequent uses, bottle refills will eventually be expensive. Bottle heaters, remote bottle openers, purge systems, etc... it all adds up. Big power kits are going to need reinforced engine components, quite possibly upgraded injectors and fuel pump, etc... and when you're done, all you're left with is something that can go fast when you push a button...

I think this is possibly why people consider n20 as rice. Because it's the route some people who are too cheap for a "real" power adder take. Turbo systems are also quite popular in the sport compact world, though maybe less common thanks to the added cost. But I've never heard anybody call a turbo rice.

Guest subiecity
for a stock 4 cyl engine, the sellers and makers reccomend a small shot of NOS, depending how much u wanna use u will get anywhere between 30 and 75 hp safely from an unmodified (stock) 4cylander engine anything beyond that is catastrofic....and if u go anymore then u have to change your fuel pumps and injectors....ect to keep up.....im not looking for a 200 hp gain but somthing is better then nothing when it comes to 1/4 mile..and when it comes to everyday driver besides the upgrades i have i still get about 22-24 mpg......if i need to pass someone or whatever the reason i have the extra 30-75 hp ready at hand if i need it, and when i dont want it dont click the button.... the distributors dont reccomned u pushing the button longer then 15 seconds....15 seconds with a shot of nitrous at WOT thats pretty damn fast.....and when it comes to 1/4 mile again the distributors guarantee a 1-3 second gain in 1/4mile...or should i say 1-3 second loss

Guest subiecity
and i understand turbos but im a NA guy always have been always will be....if i wanted a turbo i woulda bought a a4 or a wrx even a lgt but i liked the NA sleekness of the 2.5i and plus working with turbos are muuuuchhh more expensive then a reg NA car, much more work as well to me its just more of a headache i prefer sticking to intake headers exaust cams and going lighweight and with a good ecu i bet u itll be the same as a car with a turbo...... wtf am i talking about our 2.5i's are faster then the turbo a4's....least mine is anyways.......i love beeing able to pull up and say its NA

turbos start out as being less expensive since a ecu tune will yeald alot more than on an NA car. that being said. nos is rice but nitrous is not. Nos is a brand of nitrus and as long as you continue to refer to it as nos, you sound like a ricer from TFATF to me. But like what every else said, if done properly, nitrous is just as reliable as a turbo or supercharger. You just have to determine what the limit is for the NA 2.5L block and dont cross it. Sure you could build the block for heavy nitrous use, but then the argument over which is cheaper, turbo or NA, becomes silly. YOu want to go the NA way, that fine, but without some sort of forced induction, you will never see the same yeilds as a car with forced induction on the same displacement. and btw even with a 75 shot, which is very optimistic on the NA 2.5L for a daily driver without a built block, you still wont be faster than a stock GT. And this hole push the button thing, youll find that RPM window switches and TPS switches and the much more reliable why to use nitruos reliably compared to a button on the steering wheel. nitrous is only for WOT applications, so unless you are drag racing or doing highway runs, its pretty useless.

In short, i dont think its worth it, and from what you've posted, it sounds like you havent done enough research on it. It sounds like you just want to show people up.

Guest subiecity
lol if u read a few back i did say this is for track...and whats left maybe used for street.... im at the track all the time with my friends in englishtown and this coming spring im gonna be uising the 2.5i im not tryna show people off, but what im saying was its a nice touch since im a part of HIN and alway parked in parking lots with our own lil car shows every weekend...it all came about with fast and furious shit cuz of people wacthing it thinking they r cool and thay made it seem soo simple with a button on a steering wheel and now all of a sudden its rice..and last time i checked the word "nos" meant nitrous oxide system so i didnt think there was a differnce between nitrous oxide and a nitrous oxide system or in short "NOS"......if u read the title it does say nitrous oxide...i just got tired of typing "nitrous oxide" 18 times ....and i did plenty of research ive been doing it for quite a while.... again i already mentioned in my previos staments about haveing to using it at WOT at a maintained heated temperature and having to mount it at a 15 degree angle in your car, i kno it can be used with a totally stock car.... and automatic bottle openers etc etc etc etc.... i already kno how it all works idk what else i should be researching...am i missing somthing?? if so please fill me in, i was curios to c if anyone had past experience with nitrous oxide and see if they reccomnded it or not...im not talkin about 200 hp gains im talking about a simple small dose...will it hurt the engine if i hold it down for 10 seconds once a month...twice a month once a week???? thats what im trying to figuer out.........my last goddam post got shut down cuz sum guy kept coming in callin it totally riced out and i shouldnt be here posting forums like this he got all offended and told me go somehwere else ....he said the definition of rice is when u do stuff to break your car and when u put in parts that wil make your car fast but breaks it it means you are rice..and ihad to have him jump down my throat cuz i asked about anyone having experience wit this stuff...last time i checked this was the 2.5i naturally aspirated engine department ill ask watevr the F*** i want, even the administrator apologzied to me about shutting me down about a**holes like him talkin like a moron ... its not my fault poeple are ignorant about cars.....seems like he had a big fat one ..like this long- 8=========================================================================================================================================================================================================D -in his rear end the way he was talking...

hmmmmmm...

please.. if you keep your manner without using that many profanity words, people will be more respected to you.

The pattern i see on the post is something like that:

other: such a ricer

You: F***

Please always keep calm, it's the art of communication. Once you lose your manner, you lose respect.

I have nothing against you, as i had even posted in your previous post, I also love my NA engine. i feel ur pain unable to do much on this car, i feel your pain when you discover 06's header is different from 05's.

But this is really not the place to ask, you are talking about H4 NA here, this place is called LGT.com.

Most people have a turbo, hence they'll either suggest you to do turbo or call u rice.

They need no NOS to get better drag time. Hence they dont bother, and will not know much.

Of what i know, unlike inline engines, H4 engine lies flat, so they are more prone to friction, piston rub against sidewall of engine block due to gravity. Thats why our engine always warm up faster than a toyota/honda.

Also, our engine block is aluminum, aluminum is not a strong metal, with the piston keep working beyond optimal level, the engine block wear out easily when you push too hard. Your piston housing will turn oval eventually, and that means you lose LOTS OF POWER in the long term.

What can you do after your engine turn oval? You can simply expand the piston housing, change to larger pistons, and get more CC out of the engine, yes, by doing that, ur engine is gonna get the car power, but not many ppl have the gut and $ to do it. So if you are planning to play with ur Legacy for over 10 years, NOS will kill your car nomatter how much you use, and you would end up having to do what i mention above.

TURBO BEATS THE ENGINE THE SAME WAY, JUST NOT AS HARD AS NOS.

if you want to play NOS, get a iron-cast engine, supra, Lexus SC400 or skyline all have a superior iron block, they will do great on NOS. But the bottom line is, you dont want no supra, lexus, skyline. So, I would recommand you not do it if you love your car.

Phew. Longest post i ever made.

one more thing to think about and consider is that our engines are drive by wire. therefore, no throttle linkage/arm to use to trigger a WOT N2O switch. There for you may have to consider a more expensive kit that uses a computer controlled delivery system.

Also i think a lot of people here may cringe when you talk about using the N2O for street use. If you dont have enough power to pass someone then you probably dont need to be doing so. I'm not trying to put you down or our cars since i'm an NA guy also, but i've never had a problem getting by someone, and if you cant get by them then you probably really dont need to at that time. If you want to use it for drag racing thats great, go for and kick some honda ass, but just be safe with it, to risk blowing the motor for a few seconds of fun at the track or that $500 n2O kit could turn out to be very expensive.

Tolly

07 Impreza 2.5i Special Edition

07 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Bottom line.......

Get a 50shot & a really good tune it will last you quite a while.

That should put you right there with a stock LGT;)

A friend of mine had a 04 Maxima SE with a 75 shot & a godd tune. He now has over 60k on the car & it is still running strong.

BTW....I wouldnt be letting the import skanks rest on your hood, the aluminum bends failry easy:(

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

It seems like you already made up your mind about using it anyways. If you have done the research, buy it. You don't have to convince anyone on here that you should get it. Maybe instead of asking if nitrous is rice, ask people what their experience has been with using it on their car. Just my 2 cents.

It seems like you already made up your mind about using it anyways. If you have done the research, buy it. You don't have to convince anyone on here that you should get it. Maybe instead of asking if nitrous is rice, ask people what their experience has been with using it on their car. Just my 2 cents.

+1 billion.

If you are so concerned about if its rice or not, then dont get it. seems you are too focus on nitrous improving you image, ather than getting real performance gains.

gotta agree as well. no matter what you do, someone will give you crap for it. just like one of use NA guys adding a turbo kit. all the LGT guys will just say, should have done a LGT engine swap.

better to ask for experiences, rather than opinions.

....he said the definition of rice is when u do stuff to break your car and when u put in parts that wil make your car fast but breaks it it means you are rice..and ihad to have him jump down my throat cuz i asked about anyone having experience wit this stuff...last time i checked this was the 2.5i naturally aspirated engine department ill ask watevr the F*** i want, even the administrator apologzied to me about shutting me down about a**holes like him talkin like a moron ... its not my fault poeple are ignorant about cars.....seems like he had a big fat one ..like this long- 8=========================================================================================================================================================================================================D -in his rear end the way he was talking...

Are you two years old? Act like an adult even if you aren't one. Or just stop posting on this forum.

Guest subiecity
no b4 all of this i had a forum going and it got shut down cuz of all the rest of the guys coming on and jumping down my throat, and the original question was asking if anyone had any past experience with nitrous...then this whole debate started on how much of a ricer i would look like if i had a nitrous application..and after i had the admisistrator shut me down cuz of all those guys talking soo much crap about me...trsut me i have nothing against it if anyone calls it rice or not thats perfectly fine thats your opinion....but when people come on here and tell me that IMa ricer cuz im doing this and dont post on here cuz im soo rice and to go somewhere else...then how do u feel ? i take EXTREME pride in my work and i consider it offensive when i spent the last year working on my legacy, doin reasearch all night long on how to improve our engines....and to have a random guy just come on here and call all my work and dedication a ricer yea im not gonna lie i was ticked......and after i got shut down i started this new one...and added a poll i love everyones comments and i thank u for all of em please keep em coming just do me a favor u can c my car on the 1st page ill let u decide for yourself if its rice or not.....

Guest subiecity
oh and whitetiger ima aim this one on u for a second....in ur last few post u keep mentioning stuff about "real performance gains".......ive been doin reaserach for a longg ass time...theres not much available out there now so what gains besides a turbo/supercharger or nitrous am i missing out on....i kno theres no cams out...headers i guess can be custom made same with exhaust sytem...i already have my custom intake, lightweight crankshaft pulley, perrin axle back wil be on for now until i can figuer out a custom exhaust....theres no intake manifolds out....i was gona swap out mine with an STI but im sure there will be no gainsbigger throttle botties, ha for get about that no chance, i have lighter rims and tires...ill lose like 10 lbs off the car with a carbon fiber hood..thats pretty useless... now after almost a year of tuning and fiddling.....what do we have left? again is there somthing i dont kno about my goal objective is to run on a NA car nitrous is alowed....but no turbo or superchargers so please point me in the right direction of the real performance gains is left? suspension is all done... its lowered i have super stiff springs.. both front and rear struts are on , thicker tires, lighter rims cant go with a front sway bar only rear but my suspesnion is killer now....whats left as of right now for 1/4mile use.....of course nitrous is my nxt option and thats why im here now asking these questions..

Archived