LegacyGT.com

5MT clicking sound

burnu2

I'm getting a weird clicking sound when braking with the clutch out, under 20mph and it only lasts a second or so. Press the clutch in and it seems to go away, but it may be just because it's speed dependant, I'm not sure.

Any insight? It does it about 4/10 stops. :(

Need more info. Like, where is the sound coming from (front, rear, inside car, outside), how loud it is, etc.

When you say "clutch out" is that engaged (foot off clutch pedal) or dis-engaged (clutch pedal to floor)? It never happens when the clutch is "in"?

I would have guessed just normal brake pad movement noises--maybe need to adjust the shims or lube caliper mounts.

Checked it out a little bit more this morning, it happens around 20-24mph when slowing down, with or without the clutch, and it does it even if I'm not hitting the brakes.

Sounds like a woodpecker hitting a tree, fairly loud and definately annoying.

It comes from the front of the car, either the center or the drivers side.

Since it does it even without hitting brakes, and with or without clutch, I'd guess axles binding a bit or maybe even the differential. Make sure your tire pressures are even all the way around (say, within 2 psi of each other left to right and front to rear) so that the diffs aren't locking up.

If you can readily reproduce it, should take it to the dealer to have it looked at in case it's serious.

Tire pressure sound be good considering I just put those tires/rims on two weeks ago.. Just started happening Friday night.

I Really hate driving to Annapolis to see the dealer so they can tell me they won't cover it under warranty. :(:(

I havn't even launched since I got the new clutch, new clutch only has 1,200 miles on it.

Maybe this is a far fetched thought, but seeing that the axles were just out for a clutch replacement, could it be that one or both axles are not fully seated into the transmission? I do not remember whether the Legacy uses the tapered pins or the spring clips to secure them, but it might be worth checking out.

Archived