LegacyGT.com

Can a 2007 spec b 6 speed tranny be retro fitted into an 05 GT

washburn33

From our friends at Nabisco even though it deals with a WRX

What's involved with swapping from a 5MT to a 6MT? You will need to obtain and install the following components:

1. A complete 6MT transmission.

2. 6MT transmission mount.

3. 6MT clutch fork.

4. 6MT shift knob, 6MT shifter linkage, and 6MT shift boot.

5. The drive shaft from a 6MT or the drive shaft from any model automatic transmission equipped Subaru. The stock WRX 5MT drive shaft may also be modified (will need to be shortened) to fit as well.

6. New rear end options:

a. New ring and pinion gears to upgrade the stock WRX R160 rear differential to 3.90.

b. Convert the 6MT center differential from 1.0:1 to 1.1:1 and use the stock WRX R160 rear differential.

c. Swap out the stock WRX R160 rear differential to a stock STi R180 rear differential.

The real decision to a 6MT swap is the rear differential, as going with the R180, though the "better" choice, raises the costs significantly as you need to use the entire rear end consisting of the STi driveshaft, STi rear half shafts, Sti rear hubs, and STi rear discs to include the Brembo brakes. This will also require the use of 17" wheels as well to accomidate the bigger brakes, which for some, may be an additional expense. As well, www.gearboxtech.com sells the parts that let you use R180 inner CV joints and the R160 outer CV joints if you want to use the R180 rear end and not swap over to the R180 hubs/brakes.

How viable would be doing AT to 6MT swap in a LGT wagon...?

AT to MT, means different ECU (or can it be reprogrammed?), clutch hardware, etc, etc... Wonder what would be the ballpark $$$... finding a used SpecB tranny won't be easy....

Yeah, but some of us could greatly use the additional gearing, which would allow higher top speeds than the current 5mt's limit of 174mph...:icon_wink

where do you get the 174 mph limit from? just b/c a car's redline and gearing mathematically will figure out to be 174 mph doesn't mean it will go that fast. there is aerodynamic losses, fiction losses, etc. which limit top speed. also if the Subaru 6th gear is overdriven it might slower than if left in 5th ie. a C5/6 Corvette will not reach top speed in 6th, too much gear. :confused: bosco

Stay Stock Stay Happy

bosco, edmundu has a private track here in NJ.... these were not calculations :lol:

i follow the ECTA (East Coast Timing Ass.) and he would probably have a record holder at those speeds. btw not saying it's not possible just saying using the factory speedo for a top speed run casts doubt on true mph. :icon_neut bosco

Stay Stock Stay Happy

i follow the ECTA (East Coast Timing Ass.) and he would probably have a record holder at those speeds. btw not saying it's not possible just saying using the factory speedo for a top speed run casts doubt on true mph. :icon_neut bosco

Dunno how he measured it, but I'd guess a portable GPS can give one accurate speed...

AT to MT, means different ECU (or can it be reprogrammed?), clutch hardware, etc, etc... Wonder what would be the ballpark $$$... finding a used SpecB tranny won't be easy....

Anyone thinks it's crazy?

Of course the idea is to convert a 2006/2007 LGT wagon to 6MT :icon_evil:

Dunno how he measured it, but I'd guess a portable GPS can give one accurate speed...

thats fine. just to let you know the F/PS record is 174.757, F/BGT is 164.835. F is for 2.1 to 3.0 liter, PS is production car supercharged, BGT is blown grand touring. if you are going to do top end runs at least check them out. be safe. bosco

Stay Stock Stay Happy

where do you get the 174 mph limit from? just b/c a car's redline and gearing mathematically will figure out to be 174 mph doesn't mean it will go that fast. there is aerodynamic losses, fiction losses, etc. which limit top speed. also if the Subaru 6th gear is overdriven it might slower than if left in 5th ie. a C5/6 Corvette will not reach top speed in 6th, too much gear. :confused: bosco

I get that limit from not wishing to exceed 7250 rpm's in 5th. BTW that is on the conservative side, as I have 225/45/17's, which are just a shade taller, effectively giving me about 1% more gearing. I didn't factor that in, so I could possibly wind up at 175.xx mph.

My car has already bumped hard against my old rev limiter setting of 7100 rpm's. That also was on the sr40 turbo, which is a fair amount weaker than my current AVO450. This turbo pulls hard up til 7300 rpm's. I have no doubts that this combo can eat the other one up on the topend!

Now, those ECTA speeds are achieved within 1 mile, right? I needed a little more than that to attain the 171mph I already did. For a standing start mile, I feel about 160mph is all it is likely to have...

I used datalogged rpm's. If they are accurate enough for the ecu to make decisions, than it good enough for speed calculations.

Also, our cars employ the abs/wheel speed sensor's, for speed input, and to my knowledge it is a straight number, not fudged, that is sent to the electronic speedo. The datalogs also measure vehicle speed from the same sensors, and they actually jive very, very closely to actual rpm's.

Yeah I'd be interested in somone breaking it down for me.

its the axels i wonder about... and does anyone know what rear diff is in that 6 speed? that would answer a lot r160? r180?

Yep, those are the important questions. I don't know if anyone's looked closely into the new spec-bs to answer them though.

edmundu, how many seconds/minutes does it take from a standing start to reach that speed or do you do it from a xx mph roll? i guess what i'm asking is you go say 60mph then floor it until topspeed, again how long does this take? curious about how long car is at full thottle. bosco
Stay Stock Stay Happy

Archived