LegacyGT.com

FYI: STI reflector HID vs GT projector halogen

Deer Killer

I've spent some good time driving around in both tonight. My lights are definately brighter and more evenly spread. I do have Osram/Narva 65W bulbs (supposedly 2100 lumen) but as I posted before I couldn't tell the difference between stock and Osram (I suppose though 10W isn't very much) The HID's are more blue, and that's fine it that's your thing, but I'm definitely better lit. There are a couple bright spots with the HID's but the rest of your view sucks. Projector HID's should be better but the GT's lights are already better (and whiter) than 99% of the cars on the road. They also make a 80W version of this bulb. If there's ever a GTG around here maybe I'll compare to completely stock 2 bulbs vs 2 bulbs. Oh and btw, it doesn't seem like the STI has any more lag than we do even with a bigger turbo, AND it pulls hard up top.

[quote name='liquidiq'][quote name='Deer Killer'] Oh and btw, it doesn't seem like the STI has any more lag than we do even with a bigger turbo, AND it pulls hard up top.[/quote] Being that it's a 6 speed has a LOT to do with that ;)[/quote] Let me correct myself, I mean rpm's at which the turbo spools, did a pull in 6th from about 2k to 3+ to test (although it's pretty obvious from a standing start) The gear actually has nothing to do with it, 6th is only very slightly taller than our 5th. 60mph in 6th = 2350 rpms, 60 mph in 5th (GT) = 2565. Feels very linear in the STI (Although this could have more to do with the fact that my engine stutters often between 2 and 3k)

[quote name='Deer Killer'][quote name='liquidiq'][quote name='Deer Killer'] Oh and btw, it doesn't seem like the STI has any more lag than we do even with a bigger turbo, AND it pulls hard up top.[/quote] Being that it's a 6 speed has a LOT to do with that ;)[/quote] Let me correct myself, I mean rpm's at which the turbo spools, did a pull in 6th from about 2k to 3+ to test (although it's pretty obvious from a standing start) The gear actually has nothing to do with it, 6th is only very slightly taller than our 5th. 60mph in 6th = 2350 rpms, 60 mph in 5th (GT) = 2565. Feels very linear in the STI (Although this could have more to do with the fact that my engine stutters often between 2 and 3k)[/quote] 50 more hp/tq and gearing set up to maximise acceleration has a lot to do with how the STi feels. I imagine with the same gearing and trans setup, even at 250hp, the GT wouldn't be much slower than the STi, real world. I agree with you about the GT's headlights. I'm running Osram SilverStars, and they are extraordinary. As one guy asked, "Why didn't the Legacy get HIDs like the STi's." "Because they wanted their Legacy drivers to see better," replied I. Kevin

[quote name='liquidiq']I think the cam profile is different on the STis as well, there has to be something different from a EJ255 and EJ257 ;) I dunno, I put HIDs in my LGT housings, holy moley are they bright![/quote] I think the GT has a particularly well-designed projector. I'd be interested to know how your car compared, lighting-wise, to a stock car, and one with uprated bulbs. The McCulloch system sounds like a nice upgrade for those interested in aftermarket HID. Kevin

Guest *Jedimaster*
I personally can't imagine wanting to replace the stock projectors- they're the brightest and best beam pattern I've ever had on a car.

^They aren't that bright at all. I'm interested in doing some sort of swap, perhaps I've become jaded but I don't feel these headlights are that bright.

'05 Black Legacy GT Wagon 5-spd

'02 Topaz/Black 330Ci 5-spd

Drift Ryder's School of Rally Arts, coming to an Australia near you.

[quote name='05LegacyGT330Ci']^They aren't that bright at all. I'm interested in doing some sort of swap, perhaps I've become jaded but I don't feel these headlights are that bright.[/quote] You're jaded. With Osram SilverStars, the Legacy's lights are exceptional. Kevin

In the latest Consumer Reports, they commented the Legacy GT's headlights had good range and pattern. In the same article, they commented that the TSX HID lights were bright, but lacked range. Gotta try those SilverStars. Ken

I'm running 5800k bulbs from [url]http://www.globalpremier.com[/url] They're offered in stock wattages or higher (which I'm using). I've bought from them many times. Great bulbs, excellent service. PayPal or check/MO only though.

Archived