LegacyGT.com

Underdog's '06 GRP Sedan 5MT

No joy on the GS splitter - exits too far back for the STI TMIC and has nearly the same opening as factory splitter. Looks like I will be going custom after all. The LGT will be sitting out in the driveway today (the horror) while the OBXT gets new shocks, brakes, re-booted front axles, and new LCA bushings.

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=215064&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1440172119

what's the gold-ish part in the middle? Looks like oil pan?

Is that JDM twin-scroll ELH? looks brand new

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

This is easily the cleanest, nicest, most well maintained LGT I've ever seen. Makes me a little embarrassed for the condition mine is in, in comparison. Do you just store it in the winter to hide from the salt, or is really more of a situation where if a speck of oxidation develops, you just replace the entire part with something new and awesome. Or maybe you just bought it in 2006 and took it completely apart and greased/oiled everything and then just kept everything in climate controlled/humidity controlled permanent storage?

Nicely done Underdog.

Max Capacity said:
Are you going to give us a video of it running ?

After I replace a few bearings in the center diff and get the thing tuned. Still at 250 miles since new engine went in. :spin:

Dujo said:
This is easily the cleanest, nicest, most well maintained LGT I've ever seen. Makes me a little embarrassed for the condition mine is in, in comparison. Do you just store it in the winter to hide from the salt, or is really more of a situation where if a speck of oxidation develops, you just replace the entire part with something new and awesome. Or maybe you just bought it in 2006 and took it completely apart and greased/oiled everything and then just kept everything in climate controlled/humidity controlled permanent storage?

Nicely done Underdog.

Wow - thanks! The car was daily driven in Metrowest and later the Fitchburg/Billerica corridor for about 6 years, and wasn't garaged until it was 3 years old. Since summer of '12 the car has become the weekend toy/project and only gets driven on dry salt-free pavement.

The car has been taken apart and reassembled so many times that all the hardware has been replaced or antiseized, parts have been sandblasted and/or powdercoated, or I've had access to areas for deep cleaning. The aftermarket parts have been an evolution as my knowledge (and budget) changed over the years. At this point the car sits far too long in between drives. Problem free but it deserves more road time. Once I get the last few things buttoned up as mentioned above I will get my act together. :)

Billy Dagwood said:
Hey Rick, been a while...I think I see a turbo swap on the horizon. You still around?

Hey BD - what are your plans? I moved this past spring and don't have a shop space yet. Not sure if/when I'll be taking cars in again.

Flinkly said:
Any details on what STI parts and "custom" parts were needed for such a clean STI intake/TMIC swap? i'm interested in ditching my AVO LGT TMIC for STI parts.

Pretty much everything that gets bolted to the top of block and heads is from a '12 STI.

I got the intake manifold assembly nearly complete off NASIOC and had the TGVD/IM/TB ported and polished by Grimmspeed, then powdercoated locally.

The wiring harness was completely stripped down to remove the roughly dozen connectors that weren't needed, swapped a few connectors over from the LGT harness, installed new ID injector connectors, and re-pinned the main and various connectors to match the 06 LGT MT pin-out. I also scavenged a chassis-side engine harness and moved all the E1 (tan connector under TMIC) pins over to the large E2 connector (the main one near the turbo) since I had enough empty space. Once all the mods were done and triple-checked I re-loomed it as good, if not better than stock. Lots of diagrams and pics for this process.

The cast aluminum coolant crossover tube on the top of the block carried over from my '06. The pre-heater pipes that come up from the coolant pump as well as the coolant pipe/balance tube that spans the engine were replaced with STI-specific parts. All the coolant and breather hoses were also replaced with STI parts. I capped off the TB pre-heater circuit.

The '12 STI has a two-solenoid EVAP system while the '06 LGT had a single solenoid and a pressure actuated valve (round valve off the front passenger side of the manifold). The JDM cars did not bother venting to the turbo inlet; they only ran the solenoid that vents to manifold vacuum. Since the '12 STI IM did not have the nipple for the LGT-style valve to get signal from it made an easy choice to just delete the second solenoid/valve and run the JDM-style EVAP. This freed up the nipple on the top of my Perrin inlet (right in front of the boss for the inlet mounting bolt) so rather than have my main breather return hose (the one that comes forward over the IM from the black pipe mounted to the TMIC) vent to the right angle fitting down behind the P/S pump, I just cut the factory hose and ran it to a straight fitting on top of the inlet. Would like to find a slightly lower profile fitting but I searched high and low with no luck and it is an incredibly minor detail.

OEM STI PCV assembly is used with the Perrin inlet. I originally was going to run a Crawford AOS that I bought in their last GB, but decided I did not need it for my application.

Fuel rails are stock '12 STI top feed. I switched over to the pre-'07 STI FPR with custom hoses and an adapter for my AEM fuel pressure gauge. This made it relatively easy to deal with the flipped placement of supply and return on the STI rails versus the '06 LGT rails. The FPR signal nipple is on the cylinder #4 runner under the brake booster nipple, but I tapped off the BPV signal hose which is sourced at the plenum, under the TB. This provides a smoother signal to the FPR, which Cobb has demonstrated reduced the scatter on real-time fuel pressure measurements. The same hose the feed the FPR splits off to feed my boost gauge sensor (~2" extra hose).

The Cobb SF Intake is the STI-specific model, so I had to swap over to the newer MAF sensor. This required changing the connector on the chassis harness. The benefit is the STI sensor has ~45g/s more headroom than the LGT sensor. The STI airbox is compatible with the LGT. The Perrin inlet is for the STI, and it is the 2.4" inlet. Misc. post-turbo parts are a Grimmspeed y-pipe kit, OEM STI BPV, and STI-specific Grimmspeed EBCS.

When I started this the GS TMIC was not yet in production and the PW TMIC was hard to come by. TMIC was a design parameter for me so I decided to switch over to the STI setup which also offered a higher flowing manifold. I also prefer the compressor housing outlet design and core orientation of the STI-TMIC, but I'll save that for another discussion. Now that the GS is available I am not sure I would go to such great lengths since you can fit an STI-style turbo with the LGT manifold just using their adapter hose. This is true for the PW as well, with their specific hose (or the FMS knock-off).

Anyways I expect that in the final evaluation the PnP'd STI manifold will yield some tangible benefit that justifies the added complexity. If nothing else then it looks pretty cool after staring at the LGT engine cover for so long. :)

Here's the donor manifold I bought off NASIOC:

IMG_1223.JPG

IMG_1224.JPG

IMG_1225.JPG

IMG_1226.JPG

IMG_1227.JPG

IMG_1228.JPG

IMG_1257.JPG

This is the wiring harness before I stripped it down and customized it.

IMG_3712.JPG

All the new parts waiting to be assembled. Fuel lines got cleaned and then into the bag to avoid contamination.

2015.02.23 - IM Reassembly 01.JPG

2015.02.23 - IM Reassembly 02.JPG

Installed...

IMG_3933.thumb.JPG.4118f124cb851d2d63ac0f17fcff4a2c.JPG

IMG_3934.JPG

Pretty much everything that gets bolted to the top of block and heads is from a '12 STI...(etc.)

Thank you for taking the time time to lay that all out so well. Incredibly informative, as always. Read over alot of sti swap threads and that single post might top them all.

Sent from my XT1028

* Build Thread * 26.53 MPG - 12 month Average *

Hey BD - what are your plans? I moved this past spring and don't have a shop space yet. Not sure if/when I'll be taking cars in again.

Not exactly sure. I can just tell that after 116k or so miles, this stock guy's starting to go. But I have a list of things that I want to do. I would actually love to pick your brain about where to go for a new turbo. I don't want anything crazy -- it's still my daily, after all -- but as long as I'm replacing the thing, I wouldn't mind bumping up in power a little bit...

Where'd you move to? How's the fam?

Loving the latest updates, UD. How are you liking the JDM FLSD?

I wouldn't necessarily crack the trans for just the LSD, but I can tell my 5th gear synchros are starting to go. If I have the trans open anyway for service, might as well add a LSD...

Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

• 2 weeks later...

Two questions-

- How the heck did you find someone selling everything off the top of their sti block? Totall'd car?

- I ask this cause I'm sure you know, the 08+ sti TGV's mate to our manifolds without mods, correct? Unclemat asserted that years ago and wanted to double check.

Sent from my XT1028

* Build Thread * 26.53 MPG - 12 month Average *

DukeTrout said:
Loving the latest updates, UD. How are you liking the JDM FLSD?

I wouldn't necessarily crack the trans for just the LSD, but I can tell my 5th gear synchros are starting to go. If I have the trans open anyway for service, might as well add a LSD...

Love all the diff upgrades. Each one has made a subtle improvement in normal street driving. With both the front and rear mechanical LSDs the car pulls itself through corners much more than on the stock open/viscous diffs. The greater the torque applied the greater the effect.

The 35:65 center diff has made a noticeable difference in the way the rear "pushes" during mid-corner throttle application.

I agree that if the trans needs to be opened anyways then adding the FLSD is an easy choice (if you have the cash to spare). Whether it is worth opening the trans just for the FLSD depends on whether you are doing the work or paying someone else. Since I had the engine out and had all the tools to do the trans I just did it "while I was in there".

Flinkly said:
Two questions-

- How the heck did you find someone selling everything off the top of their sti block? Totall'd car?

- I ask this cause I'm sure you know, the 08+ sti TGV's mate to our manifolds without mods, correct? Unclemat asserted that years ago and wanted to double check.

Sent from my XT1028

I was lucky enough to find a complete IM assembly off a totalled '12 STI for sale on NASIOC. I still had to piece together all the coolant/breather/misc parts based on diagrams and catalogs.

The P/N for the '08+ STI TGV (14011AB940) is the same as for the '07-'09 LGT/OBXT TGV. I believe the '05-'06 LGT/OBXT sidefeed TGVs require the STI IM to have the holes slotted.

LatentWagen said:
He knows a guy who knows a guy, no?

Rick this setup is incredible, every detail thought out. Do you have any videos of the car on the street? Would love to see how that TS turbo responds (up to 55, of course) :lol:

Thanks Ed! No video yet as I'm still breaking-in all the new parts. Hoping to get it tuned soon.

The P/N for the '08+ STI TGV (14011AB940) is the same as for the '07-'09 LGT/OBXT TGV. I believe the '05-'06 LGT/OBXT sidefeed TGVs require the STI IM to have the holes slotted.

You are right. They did require holes to be slotted slightly and the STi TGVs were also slightly taller.

• 2 months later...

No real updates but a couple projects in the near future now that my kitchen remodel is almost completed.

- Considering a seat upgrade. Looking at the Bride/Cusco Stradia/Gias II+C (reclinable) and the Vios III+C Sport-C (fixed). Both in black/black fabric with black FRP shell (most likely); the Stradia/Gias has a contrasting red stitch. The Vios III+C Sport-C is 12.7lbs each while the Stradia/Gias is 31lbs. Will probably replace both the driver and passenger seats. Currently looking at the Bride and Planted seat brackets to mount these up.

- Still have to pull the DCCD unit to have the clutch pack and bearings replaced by Rallispec. Should have garage space to do this once all the kitchen appliances are installed. Will be installing the 1-2 return spring to the shifter yoke at that time.

- Still have to get tuned @ BrenTuning. I think my front O2 sensor may need to be replaced. TMIC duct to be fabricated pending satisfaction with '08+ OEM STI TMIC.

- Still on the lookout to change wheels/tires. It would be nice to have rubber that gave me the option to take it out in the winter, but I can't justify season-dedicated wheels/tires for a car that sees <500mi year. New wheels would be nice to refresh the look of the car... I've had the Rotas since 2007. Currently looking at the 17x8 Enkei T6S for clean look, decent weight/strength, good price, etc. Would like to fit 245/40-17 rubber.

- Also looking at replacing my P/S pump with the higher-output model from the '08/'09 model years, which supposedly have the same specs as the '15 STI with the quick-rack. See my '15 STI rack install thread for information and continued discussion/discovery.

- Always have my finger hovering over the order button for some more JDM exterior pieces... :spin: