LegacyGT.com

Underdog's '06 GRP Sedan 5MT

This morning the problem with the shifter seemed exaggerated. I can't tell if it's the cold weather but I'm definitely leaning towards getting the STS done. Are the bushings that Cobb offers to replace the bushings at the pivot of the shifter inside the car or the anchor point for the shifter under the car? I would think the pivot bushings would contribute to the "slop" if the are soft rubber.

Also, I was looking at the vaca pix and they mentioned that our first oil change isn't due until 7,500 miles and @ 7,500 mile increments after that. I'm thinking that the whole first oil change might be nice just for peace of mind (especially cause you get the tire pressure adjustment, top all fluids, lube the chassis, inspection all for $27). Does anyone think that I should go for it or just follow the factory recommended service?

I don't know that I would leave break-in oil in the crank-case that long. Break in involves seating wear, and any material being removed will go into the oil and the oil filter.

I'd change out the oil sometime after break-in period, fill again with mineral-based oil, and wait until at least the 7500 mile oil change at the earliest to change to synthetic, if you plan to. but, that is just me.

I have a cobb Double-adjustable shifter, which was put in by the previous owner, subastyle. I do like it. It also has the STI short shifter option from the factory, so there is some conjecture that the shift linkage may be different than standard, but there is some consensus that it is the same.

The knob is a bit lower than I have seen on other Legacys in person and pictures, but the shift throw is very short. it is still a little loose on the fulcrum point (the axle pivot of the shift lever.) I have the original shifter, and the plastic bushings that are inserted there... I am debating whether I should take that apart, and put those plastic bushes into the cobb lever, to firm it up a bit. (assuming they will fit.)

The shift action seems smooth enough, it is the lever that seems loose. And there is a real break-over to engage the gears. That and the clutch on my car is starting to suck, and isn't fully dissengaging, because I am grinding second gear for a split-instant more often than I ever have in any other MT car.

The bushings that cobb and kartboy sell, I believe, go into the shift linkage, under the car, not at the lever fulcrum point, but I could be wrong, as I haven't dug into that yet.

-Brotherhood of GRP Legacy GT owners. :D Gotta Stick together! :lol:

Congrats on the car. I have an '05 GRP and love it. It's NOT a perfect car, but I appreciate all its quirks. I installed the hawgzaust to improve clutch engagement.
My other car is a 1993 Chevy S-10 Tahoe! (Currently being driven to failure by my nephew)

Ok.... funny... I have Hawg-tastic gutted downpipe on my car too, but the clutch remains.

A bit more context... it is a slight annoyance, and I wish it were not the case, and eventually it will probably be replaced sometime.

But over all, it is a small issue. these cars are FAN-TASTIC! GRP for the WIN, too!

Well yesterday morning I went to Cityside Subaru and got my first oil change @ 1,730 miles. Since they were topping off all the fluids and adjusting the tire pressure I figured they might as well rotate the tires in anticipation of my roadtrip this weekend. (Going to the Adirondacks with the gf). Total was $40 and they were very friendly and helpful. I picked up a bunch of oil filters while I was there for future oil changes.

On my way home this evening, I was driving through a huge puddle when I felt and heard a large bump. I think the manhole cover in the center of the puddle had come off exposing the hole. Just after the bump the car began puling slightly to the right. I was just about a mile from home and despite the slight pull I thought everything was ok. However when I finally got home I went to check the tire pressure and there was none. Grabbed my flashlight for a quick visual confirmation and the tire is indeed flat. I can't tell if it’s punctured or if it just came unseated off the rim so I get to take care of all that fun tomorrow! The trip has now been bumped back over 30 hrs... (originally supposed to leave this morning)

On Friday morning I gave my girlfriend a tutorial on changing a flat tire. Once I had the tire off the car I saw the damage on the inside sidewall, it was a huge diagonal slice. Time for the winter tires!

I called up Sullivan Tire in Watertown. After explaining my situation to him he quoted me for both the full set of Dunlop Wintersport M3's (OEM size) and a single replacement RE92. I was shocked to find out that the RE92 was $60 more expensive than the M3. I had no problem switching over after that. The base price for the Dunlops were $191 per. All said and done I paid ~$850 for my new tires mounted and balanced, with a 10% AAA discount.

First impressions of Dunlop Wintersport M3 tires

The tires immediately felt more supple and forgiving on dry pavement. I was very cautious at first with the tires fearing that they shouldn't be worked hard in 50 degree temps on dry pavement. However, even granny driving will not save you from the terrible roads around here and it was impossible to not notice how much quieter these tires are over bumps and rough pavement.

Despite the complete lack of inclement weather during my trip I really appreciated these tires in the colder temperatures. I believe the M3's compound is much better suited for low temperature than the re92 (duh!). The tires did feel like they had much better grip but at the expense of only the slightest "mushiness." I am excited to see how they will perform at even colder teperatures and in the snow/rain/ice. So far, between 30-50 degrees these tires far outshine the re92 in every concievable way!

a rock ate one of my RE92s up too, but with the free extended warranty I had it replaced with them crediting me with 85% tire wear left so the tire was cheap. To me, being a 05 GRP owner, the blacked out 05 headlights really work better than the chromed 06s. To each his own. Oh and btw, my kids and I ate lunch (sardine sandwhiches) in your car while we waited for service on mine. J/K, though we were there at the dealership when your car was in Santa Monica and we did check it out...

Congrats again, glad you're happy with the car and new tires. When I want new tires, I just rotate the ones on the car and viola! it feels better for about a week.

• 1 month later...

We have had some fantastic weather this winter. I've been able to try out a Christmas present I received - the Mr. Clean Autodry car wash system. It was also nice enough outside to permit debadging of the car and I have attached some before/after shots.

The car wash kit is a handy tool in the winter when a quick wash is all you need. However, in the summer I will be going back to the bucket method.

970670478_BadgesMr.CleanAutodryHeatgun.thumb.jpg.3bd0103f76f0f489388e193e1208f195.jpg

1190620139_Frontthree-quarterclose-up.thumb.jpg.1234e76f19fe3cfd173acc04c428b8ce.jpg

1176214852_GRPswatch.thumb.jpg.0f171201400383c0454682a2cdb24801.jpg

Debadging was easier than I expected. I used the heat gun and some dental floss and just rolled the adhesive off with my fingers. Hit it with some goo-gone and re-washed the back. I still have yet to seal the car and would like to do so soon before the real crappy weather hits.

541563134_Rear-endbadged.thumb.jpg.4fb027f4be181f9f461eed443bbe12b7.jpg

260509543_Rear-enddebadged.thumb.jpg.2ce4df4cd3da0334aa6d927cc9706d0e.jpg

181978762_Rearthree-quarterbadged.thumb.jpg.e0ad89538289fb4c7aeb3ac5f373ffe9.jpg

787449166_Rearthree-quarterdebadged.thumb.jpg.157a5cefbad248b339d2d4a23cf017e9.jpg

This head-on pic was snapped at the olympic ski jump in Lake Placid, NY during the roadtrip mentioned when I blew out the tire on Thanksgiving Day.

1484607908_carhead-onwithparkinglightschoppedandresized.thumb.jpg.249e6e0cd482ba8481d997c4f5418372.jpg

I really hope you're going JDM, rather than a real case of larceny.

Unless it was some Subaru enthusiasts from Japan who wanted to get their hands on some sweet USDM bumper and light action.:lol:

Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

Oh how I wish it were the JDM swap... The possibility exists if TDC gets a good price (hint hint)...

I was clearing the headlights to get keep the car in the GRP/chrome/black trifecta of colory goodness. It still lights up amber when turning and at night to keep it legal (as you can see in the pics) and this is also when you can't really see the car anyway... During the day it looks like it should have come stock like this as it makes the lines seem sharper at the front of the car. There was a little old couple checking out the car the other day as I walked up to it and the woman said she really liked the lights... :lol:

After doing this I have learned two things: 1) Be very very careful with the headlights when moving them about. A piece of the black plastic around the front that makes it look flush with the fender broke off when I set down a corner too hard (it's small and repairable). 2) If you need to be doing this when it is 10-20 deg.F. outside you must invest in a pair of mechanix gloves. It made the numbingly cold bumper easy to handle (there was ice keeping everything jammed together).

Enjoy the pics...

"No pop-its were lost during the clearing of these headlights."

1783986918_Bumperless06andtailofthe92.JPG.c6b42b026de6c1726d543796b05d37ce.JPG

223967541_Clearedheadlightduringday-frontshotclose.thumb.jpg.1b761df200970136c5503584863b203f.jpg

959026613_Clearedheadlightduringday-sideshot.thumb.jpg.8d4fc0e1e21cc6b843997f3a71db5a2e.jpg

825572359_clearedheadlights-Frontthree-quarterelevated.thumb.jpg.57c53b07d090a87d6e7ec70269fffd94.jpg

247385914_clearedheadlightatnight.thumb.jpg.316945d1bd25f2dc33b06cb717fa1ffc.jpg

Nice to meet you and your car today. :D We just cleared my lights yesterday in that nasty wind - what was the wind chill, like 10 degrees? omg, it was painful, but the lights look awesome now, as do yours!

-Coelli