LegacyGT.com

Daniel Stern Lighting and Subaru headlight options

f1anatic

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 729
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had HID's in low beams, but just ordered some HIR1s for the high beams. Cant wait to see how they look!

Still deciding what to do with the fog lights though....anyone having good luck with the CPI h3 they advertise?

I have both the CPI Gold H3 for the fogs and the Osram Rallye 65 watts for the low-beams and definitely found the complete setup to be an huge improvement over stock.

To be honest about the fogs though, after upgrading the low-beams I get such good lighting that I turn on the fogs a lot less often then before. The yellow color does seems to make it easier to see the road markings, or at least make me feel a bit more comfortable, but I would say the difference is relatively minor. From aesthetic perspective the yellow color also looks nicer when looking at the car from outside.

In terms of the low beam performance, the cutoff is much better than stock, scatter is better controlled, and light output ahead and to the sides is greatly improved. If you were to do only one mod to you cars lighting, this is the one I would suggest.

• 4 weeks later...
So, with the Osram Rallye H7 lights being "not legal for street use", is it really so bad that it is obviously illegal or since they are low beams, do they not bother anyone?? I'd love to grab some for all the winter driving where I live...

The cutoff is better than stock, and light scatter is better controlled than stock as well. I am guessing that the "illegal" part must come from either Osram not doing some certification in North America or just because of the increase in overall light output. From my experience so far, they don't seem to be bothering other drivers.

Furthermore, to your point of being obviously illegal or not, I would think that you would need to take the light bulb out of the headlight, take down the model number and look up online to determine that it is not for street use.

• 1 year later...

Ok, so here's what my plans are for my 06 legacy wagon

Lows: DDM Tuning's 55w Ultra kit w/ 5500k bulbs (no yellow)

Highs: considering the rare Ness off the HIRs, I'm considering going LEDs, but don't know who to buy them from....

Fogs don't apply yet, as the original purchaser of this car didn't want them.

I bought this car last Friday.....also waiting to see what the original ride height is (made own thread in the suspension forum....)

Ok, so here's what my plans are for my 06 legacy wagon

Lows: DDM Tuning's 55w Ultra kit w/ 5500k bulbs (no yellow)

Highs: considering the rare Ness off the HIRs, I'm considering going LEDs, but don't know who to buy them from....

Fogs don't apply yet, as the original purchaser of this car didn't want them.

I bought this car last Friday.....also waiting to see what the original ride height is (made own thread in the suspension forum....)

Did you even read this thread? DDM HID kits are garbage. If you want HIDs then do a complete retrofit. Otherwise stick with the recommendations in this thread.

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

HIR bulbs are the best option for high beams, Narva +50 bulbs are also pretty good.

LEDs will have the same problem as an HID kit, too much light not being aimed properly.

I believe the Osram Rallye bulbs aren't technically legal because they are higher than 55W. I've had them for 4+ years and never had an issue with the being too bright. Though laws vary by state, I've passed inspection just fine. With HIDs I'd probably fail inspection.

Friends don't let friends drink cheap beer.

Whiter means nothing. As stated before, it's all about the lumens.

This is not completely correct. I will explain with special knowledge of the subject due to my profession. While Lumens is an important part of projected light, foot-candles, color temperature and CRI are factored in to complete the desired output of the lamp assembly. Lumens is the measurable amount of light projected from the source. Foot-candles is the measurable amount of light the source casts onto a given surface, however distance is a factor in the equation. Color Temp is measured in Kelvins and represents the "warmness/coolness" in the bulb's color output. Less Kelvin's is warmer and vice-versa. That brings us to CRI, which is the abbreviation for "Color Reference Index." CRI is based on a scale from 0 - 100 with 0 being poor and 100 being Natural light or Best. So its quite a combination of things not just simply the color or the lumens alone. Its not like choosing paint color like 99% of people do with their headlights and fog lights.

Did you even read this thread? DDM HID kits are garbage. If you want HIDs then do a complete retrofit. Otherwise stick with the recommendations in this thread.

Yes, I read it. And i have 3 kits. Two of which (lows & fogs) were installed on my car got totaled. Maybe people just got lemons. All 3 of mine are 4-5 years old and they still work fine.....

Yes, I read it. And i have 3 kits. Two of which (lows & fogs) were installed on my car got totaled. Maybe people just got lemons. All 3 of mine are 4-5 years old and they still work fine.....

Just because they have been working for you doesn't mean they are fine. I've used DDM kits, Morimoto kits and OEM. DDM is trash. Not to mention installing HID in halogen projectors or reflectors will throw light in all the places you don't want and blinds other drivers. :spin:

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

• 2 weeks later...

Hey All - Wanted to put out a PSA on this thread for anyone who came to it looking for lows/daytime running bulb replacement help like myself.

I was hoping to purchase the Osram Rallye 64217 65W H7 so I emailed Mr. Stern who advised they were no longer being produced. The CandlePower, Inc site still lists them as available and so I took a chance and ordered them anyways. I received them yesterday and they fit the exact description so they may still have stock of a part that is no longer produced.

Alternatively, in talking with Daniel he advised the Philips X-treme Vision +130% Headlight Bulbs (H7 55W) are a viable replacement for the Osrams.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QJWTQYY/?tag=2402507-20]http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QJWTQYY/?tag=2402507-20[/ame]

• 2 months later...

I dropped some 6000k LED lows and 3000k LED fogs in my wagon the other day and wanted to show y'all how it looks.

http://i.imgur.com/bnEEZiN.jpg

Sadly, the link I ordered them through on Amazon doesn't list the bulbs I bought as available anymore--maybe they're just out of stock? The brand is Ediors and they were ~$65 a set. Not a terrible price considering they're rated to last 30,000 hours. :eek:

As they appear when driving..

6000k Low beams only:

http://i.imgur.com/a3Ux2Cb.jpg

6000k Low beams and 3000k Fog lights:

http://i.imgur.com/hxWoGn7.jpg

• 2 months later...
I dropped some 6000k LED lows and 3000k LED fogs in my wagon the other day and wanted to show y'all how it looks.

With LEDs, do you need to do any other mods to the car or can you just put them into a stock headlamp unit?

Also, any reason you didn't get LED lights for the high-beams?

With LEDs, do you need to do any other mods to the car or can you just put them into a stock headlamp unit?

Also, any reason you didn't get LED lights for the high-beams?

I couldn't put the dust covers back on after I installed them. I did some research on here and on other sites and it seemed they weren't really critical, unless driving in heavy dust environments. That said, I have taken the car through some incredibly dusty conditions without the dust covers and haven't had any issues. The LED's I used have a fan on the back and require airflow. I had intended on getting some rubber "universal" type covers so I could seal them back up but haven't gotten around to it--yet.

I bought the car with a single burned out low-beam and fog lamp. The high-beams were still good. I never use the high-beams anyways, but, I also needed to be cost effective because when I replaced my lamps with LED's I was also doing a brake upgrade which absorbed much of the funds available. I'll get around to getting the high-beams replaced when one burns out, though. Probably at that point I'll get new universal type rubber dust caps for them too.

• 4 months later...

I'm reviewing my lighting options - already had

Osram Offroad 55W lows and HIR1 Highs (Fogs are still factory bulbs)

* Highs = Highs are still great - highly recommended

Since I also have an Audi S4 running Xtreme 130+ D3S HIDs - the Osrams are looking a little dull and yellow...

I ordered the newer Osram Night Breaker Laser +130%

If that doesn't do it - I may try LED:

a) HID Concepts Fanless H7 (5500K) - I would think allowing the dust caps to be used....

b) Ediors 6000K LED - same as noted above

• 4 weeks later...

One of my fog lights burned out. Are the Candepower selective yellow bulbs still the best bang for the buck H3 option?

Only read back a few pages, has anyone tried Nokya Hyper Yellow bulbs?

One of my fog lights burned out. Are the Candepower selective yellow bulbs still the best bang for the buck H3 option?

Only read back a few pages, has anyone tried Nokya Hyper Yellow bulbs?

I had the Nokya Hyper Yellows in my 09 so its different bulb type for the fogs. I liked them. I swapped them to match my lows (Osram NBU). Now that the NBU low beams went out I may put the Nokyas back in the fogs.

• 2 weeks later...

Alternatively, in talking with Daniel he advised the Philips X-treme Vision +130% Headlight Bulbs (H7 55W) are a viable replacement for the Osrams.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QJWTQYY/?tag=2402507-20]http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QJWTQYY/?tag=2402507-20[/ame]

What's the lifespan of the +130 bulbs? I tried an older version Philips Xtreme +80 bulbs. While they were whiter and slightly brighter than Osram Rally bulbs, they burned out after 1 year. Osram Rallye bulbs are usually good for 2-2.5 years. One just burned out. Debating if I should try the new Philips Xtreme or stick with Osram Rallye bulbs.

I'd say expect them to last as long as your previous X-Treme bulbs. It looks like the filament is wired a bit tighter for a "brighter" output, at a loss of longevity.

BTW Philips has a new 'racing' bulb.

https://www.powerbulbs.com/product/philips-racingvision-h7-twin

link doesn't work

It looks like Power Bulbs has an issue with linking. :confused:

Anyways, if you wanna look you have to look for Powerbulbs, then select Halogen Bulbs, and then you'll see a link for the Phillips RacingVision H7 (Twins).

Also, on my phone this is 29 pounds($36), but on my computer they are $42 which is a minor difference of about $6. I don't know if the difference in what they might charge for shipping would offset whatever the difference might be from shipping even though they advertise free shipping.

SC

Edited by Smithcraft
I believe I was tweeting with Powerbulbs UK, and they do ship internationally for free.

1994 Legacy MI

2008 Legacy GT specB

2023 Crosstrek Limited