LegacyGT.com

Daniel Stern Lighting and Subaru headlight options

f1anatic

I'm glad that your state troopers didn't think that there was a problem - again, you're lucky to live in such a lenient area, and you're also lucky to have individual officers with such liberal viewpoints.

I wish I lived where you live. :)

Come to my area, cruise around a bit, you might have quite a different experience.

And perhaps when you tell those officer of such laws being enforced in my area, maybe they won't stick to their "never" line so much, either. ;)

As for "legality" - what "legality" means to an individual law-enforcer is inconsequential. Look at those officers who pulled-over and ticketed my friends and acquaintances. Those tickets were thrown out - and only two cases involved the use of "traffic lawyers." In yet another specific instance, an officer cited an acquaintance of mine for a rear tail-light infraction, in that his units were aftermarket and not red-by-sight. Guess what? There's no red-by-sight laws on the books here in Ohio. The ticket was also thrown out.

Officers may not always know the truth of the laws as they lay. If they did, they wouldn't have ticketed these individuals in the first place.

This is why "legality" to such individuals as sebberry is so important. They want to be sure that what they do is truly and completely legal. Not just that it's good enough to pass-off on the merits of another person's (i.e. the enforcer's) beliefs or attitudes - but rather, that he will pass stringent vehicle inspections, as well as can contest any improper citations in a court-of-law: and to do so without violating their personal morals and ethics. It is this latter concern that makes it impossible for us to contest such viewpoints.

You anti-HID retofit, anti-brighter headlight people ... just keep arguing. You're wasting a lot of bandwidth for nothing.

Oh, and again, please check facts before you attack ->

I was - and remain - never against HID retrofits (or even PnP setups, provided that the improperly matched optics can actually handle glare well-enough). Look up any of my past posts here. You'll see this to be true. As a matter of fact, a lot of us here in the LGT community regard proper full-optics retrofits very, very favorably, and many only shy away from PnPs because of our own interest/enthusiasm-level in vehicle lighting (i.e. my friends would never let me live down the use of a PnP :lol:, and I'd have a "guilty-conscience to suffer, too) or the biased view that such a PnP (particularly with a reflector setup) is "Ricy" (this is actually something that you'll find to be a very, very common sentiment in the import tuner, as well as domestic hot-rod community overall).

Am I against brighter headlights? Again, check my past posts - and even if you don't do that, all you had to do was to either read this very thread or even just look at my vehicle profile - or even recall our past discussions. I utilize both overwattage (65W) low-beams as well as HIR highs. I'm not against brighter headlights at all, as long as they don't cause the oncoming driver enough discomfort that they in-turn become a danger to me.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

• Replies 729
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry, but what they do in your area does not necessarily reflect the rest of the US and Canada...

I know for a fact that it happens here.

Exactly what I'm saying, too - but SubieDoobieDoo cannot seem to register that fact. :spin: I feel like I'm just turning circles.....

I've got real-life friends and acquaintances of mine who've run afoul of such enforcement and were ticketed. Yet, SubieDoobieDoo seems to think that just "NEVER" happens. :rolleyes:

Go figure. :lol:

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

Does Soobie Doobie Doo post any other doo anywhere else but in this thread ? Cause it stinks and shoudl be cleaned up of this intellectual garbage that shit don't happen cause it does not happen in his neck of the woods.

I have been flashed by cops many times (incoming) for headlight issues. Whether stock or the Osram ones. I reply with the long beam. I was stopped once and told him that is how the car came. And mine ain't that HID obscene brilliant, just white slightly yellow.

And Heights...stop contributing to this thread's pollution. If he ain't getting banned for mental, at least let him talk alone. And if you feel you wanna talk to him, do it in private.

.........."If we're gonna start stopping people for headlights that offend oncoming traffic - including us - we'd start with every jacked-up pickup truck and sport-ute on the road."........

Sounds like a fine idea to me!!!!!!!

And Heights...stop contributing to this thread's pollution. If he ain't getting banned for mental, at least let him talk alone. And if you feel you wanna talk to him, do it in private.

^ Not a bad idea........ The danger in that, though, is that the residual unanswered posts will remain as misinformation that will confuse those seeking true information.

As a community, we should not let that happen.

The failed logic needs to be addressed so that others don't fall into that trap.

• 1 month later...
Just replaced both my high and low beam with Silverstar ULTRAs. One word: WOW.

Also picked up (regular) silverstars for the fogs. Gotta figure out how to change them first.

pull the front bumper off.

ignore him, he'll go away.

Also picked up (regular) silverstars for the fogs. Gotta figure out how to change them first.

Brother MiniStiGuy's way is the "traditional" method - and unless your LGT is slammed-to-the-ground or you've got He-Man arms, you *should* be able to effect this change-over relatively easily, going that way.

Park your LGT with the nose hanging over a 1" ledge (say, your garage-to-driveway transition) or the like, and you'll have a lot more leeway getting underneath, without the need to even jack/jackstand the car. :)

Taking the front bumper skin off, as brother fweasel, is definitely another valid way of doing this. Exactly what you might find to be more troublesome/difficult will be entirely personal, so I'll present you with roundboy's "from the top" bumper-skin removal method walk-through instructions, and let you judge by yourself:

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15343&highlight=fog

Post number 7 of that thread has a link to how to do it the traditional way, from "underneath." :)

I picked up a pair (on sale) when I lost the driver's side lowbeam about a month ago. While I still need adjust the setting a bit post lowering the car with the KW's (last Christmas, what can I say it is a low priority), it is abundantly clear that the Ultra's are much whiter than the stock bulbs.

We will see how long they last.

I'm running the Osram Ralleye's for my lowbeams, 2100 lumens (bright). Highs are Toshiba HIR's which I love! 2500 lumens (very bright). I also have the selective yellow fog bulbs, and yeah like MiniStiGuy mentioned, you don't have to pull the front bumber off, haha! Let me say, it is kind of a pain pulling the liner back and changing them, but you'll get it. Great headlight upgrades, that I very highly recommend if you aren't ready to go to HID's yet.

I'm gonna see if I can get a couple cars together to do a comparison shot.

stock

Stock with HID

HID retro

I'll post up a new thread with it and put the link up here so you guys can see. I'm not sure how long its gonna take to get the car's for this though. I have to fix my car first so until I do that it will have to wait.

I've just gone back and skimmed this thread, have you gusy who switched to the Rallye 65 W H7's still satisified? Light output aside, no issues with bulb life, extra heat, power consumption?

I've got another couple of months before my replacement Silverstars burn out and would like non HID options.

Been a few months now with the Rallye 65s, I'm still extremely satisfied.

No flashing from oncoming traffic at all - but note here that my vehicle is slightly lowered, and but it still retains the factory/"book" aim from its standard height, so this may be affecting things somewhat.

No problems noted with heat. No problems noted with power consumption.

Bulb life is something that I'm unfortunately rather ill-equipped to comment on. I just haven't had these on for long enough, yet.

'bout 3 months. These bulbs are rated at 500 hours of life and I have disabled my DRLs, I am expecting to get quite a long life out of them.

Let me put it this way, I had a HID kit and didn't like it. I drive on dark roads a lot and the spread was terrible. There was a lot of light RIGHT in the front center of the car. These OSRams spread the light better AND farther. Light output is almost the same but of a different temperature.

Only way I'll go back to HIDs is with a complete retrofit.

I think the 10 watts for current drain is a non-issue as well but, let me ask anyway, I'm worried about the extra heat generated. Just from the 55 W bulbs burning out (repeatedly), I've already scorched the bulb housing noticeably and, the whole assembly is sealed up fairly tight.