LegacyGT.com

Sedan rear styling...

[quote name='cotmfk'][quote name='gtguy'] Careful, there. The WRX wagon is a scant 80 lbs lighter than the sedan, but those 80 lbs are where it helps handling, which is why the wagon rotates into a corner better than the sedan. Wagons are usually marginally heavier than their sedan counterparts, but again, the weight aids the front/rear balance (viewed as a percentage), so wagons are usually closer to 50/50 than sedans. The WRX wagon is a few tenths or so off the sedan, in Subaru official time land. In the real world, the difference is almost nonexistent, more driver-dependent than any actual discrepancy. Don't kid yourself. Three or four tenths, in the real world, is worth fretting about. If people want to choose the sedan because they prefer it for legitimate reasons, that's one thing. I'm only bothered by the whole perception thing that wagons seem to be saddled with in the USDM. Wagons are more popular everywhere in the world. At the Tsubaka test, they used wagons (Legacy Spec B vs GT vs Audi RS6, etc). Most of the European magazines test wagons, as well, because wagons outsell sedans by a comfortable margin. Wagons rule, basically. :lol: Kevin[/quote] Some good points Kevin... Is that a typo, though: "Don't kid yourself. Three or four tenths, in the real world, is worth fretting about." Before I start on it, I want to make sure it is.... Otherwise, I do want a 50/50 weight balance. It does help with handling all of the time. I am just one of those people that can't see why people would buy anything bigger than they need on a regular basis. I had trouble justifying the Evo to myself, since it is a SEDAN, let alone a wagon! I don't see the reason for buying a car that is a lot larger than what you need regularly. If you are going to haul a bike around a lot, or have kids or whatever, then I could see getting a larger car. For me (single, but dating, have a dog, but no kids), all I need the car to do is satisfy me performance wise and be able to carry my hockey gear, including two or three sticks. All of my coupes have been able to do that, so I never really saw an advantage to a sedan or anything bigger. My dog loves going in the car, but I am fine with her in the front seat, back seat, or wherever she wants to be. In coupes, she gets a nice floor (the trunk) to sleep on. She would have the same with a wagon... but I don't think she's unhappy with the Evo. She still gets a window right there that she can stick her head out of. I would have to have the seats folded down for that to happen in a wagon. So, I'm in the minority, that's fine... When I have kids I might buy a wagon... till then... no real reason for me to do so.[/quote] Oops. ISN'T worth fretting about. Nice catch. Kevin

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have ahome and a kid, but newer found myself in need to buy wagon. Always did perfectly with sedan, coupe would be too small, need 4 seats / 4 doors. In last 5 years there was 3 times when i found the need in biger car for short time. 2 time had to rent the truck (big one) for moving, and one time borrowed relatives wagon for hour. And if I ever need one for transportation of anything biger that fits in sedan, i can always borrow something from family or friends - wagon, SUV or full size van depending on what i need. So I don't see the need of geting a wagon (even if i find it atractive).

[quote name='dimil']I have ahome and a kid, but newer found myself in need to buy wagon. Always did perfectly with sedan, coupe would be too small, need 4 seats / 4 doors. In last 5 years there was 3 times when i found the need in biger car for short time. 2 time had to rent the truck (big one) for moving, and one time borrowed relatives wagon for hour. And if I ever need one for transportation of anything biger that fits in sedan, i can always borrow something from family or friends - wagon, SUV or full size van depending on what i need. So I don't see the need of geting a wagon (even if i find it atractive).[/quote] Yay, I'm not alone!!! :D Haha, no seriously, though... those are my thoughts on it, too. :)

[quote name='dimil']I have ahome and a kid, but newer found myself in need to buy wagon. Always did perfectly with sedan, coupe would be too small, need 4 seats / 4 doors. In last 5 years there was 3 times when i found the need in biger car for short time. 2 time had to rent the truck (big one) for moving, and one time borrowed relatives wagon for hour. And if I ever need one for transportation of anything biger that fits in sedan, i can always borrow something from family or friends - wagon, SUV or full size van depending on what i need. So I don't see the need of geting a wagon (even if i find it atractive).[/quote] We don't all have the luxury of barrowing utility vehicles though..

I have enough use for one, particularly traveling around or going racing. Nice to have the room to not have to worry about cramming stuff in or finding a vehicle for that bit extra at the last minute. That's why I want a Wagon.

• 2 weeks later...
What happened to SEDAN rear styling? Anyway, I just don't know where to post this question but it's been itching to come out. Will USDM Legacy sedans have the rear wiper? BTW, all this talk about wagons got me thinking about buying one too. My dad has a 2000 Outback and I have the '02 Impreza 2.5RS. I didn't even come close when we were moving from old home to new home in terms of hauling stuff. Definately getting the wagon if the sedan don't come with a rear wiper. :) PS: Upon first seeing the rear of the new Legacy sedan, I immediately thought of the lights and how they look like those on the latest Camry.

The pics and literature I have seen thus far point towards a Legacy w/o a rear wiper. The Wagons indeed are better haulers. My dad's MY00 Leg L Wagon is the real utility vehicle. We have hauled LOTS of stuff in it, lots of stuff that most people wouldn't think about hauling in it. Wagons are great. I'll say the sedan was a lot better back in the days of the BD (95-99 era) when at least some years had a full rear seat pass-through like my MY97 Legacy GT. It's been priceless, without it many times I wouldn't have been able to haul many things.

Archived