LegacyGT.com

Sedan rear styling...

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
yall kids can stop argue about what legacy looks like you know legacy looks a lot better than those cars they dont even compare :evil:

Perrin BIG maf intake

Perrin Turbo Inlet

HKS SSQV BOV

Megan Racing header with UP (ceramic coated)

HKS DP (WRX)

DMH E-cutout

Custom 3" catback

UTEC

[quote name='team23jordan']yall kids can stop argue about what legacy looks like you know legacy looks a lot better than those cars they dont even compare :evil:[/quote] Who said one car looked better than the other? I love the look of the second gen altima. It's very thick and meaty. I also like the look of the legacy. which looks better? the altima. Which would i rather drive? the legacy.

Well, the wagon doesn't have exactly the same lights as the sedan, but that's why I asked for a pic of it to be put up. :) I am in the minority on this one, but I still think I would take the sedan! :o :lol: Unlike you guys, I just don't ever use that extra space! Plus, less weight is better for acceleration, handling, etc... and I would think that the wagon is heavier than the sedan.

[quote name='cotmfk']Well, the wagon doesn't have exactly the same lights as the sedan, but that's why I asked for a pic of it to be put up. :) I am in the minority on this one, but I still think I would take the sedan! :o :lol: Unlike you guys, I just don't ever use that extra space! Plus, less weight is better for acceleration, handling, etc... and I would think that the wagon is heavier than the sedan.[/quote] Careful, there. The WRX wagon is a scant 80 lbs lighter than the sedan, but those 80 lbs are where it helps handling, which is why the wagon rotates into a corner better than the sedan. Wagons are usually marginally heavier than their sedan counterparts, but again, the weight aids the front/rear balance (viewed as a percentage), so wagons are usually closer to 50/50 than sedans. The WRX wagon is a few tenths or so off the sedan, in Subaru official time land. In the real world, the difference is almost nonexistent, more driver-dependent than any actual discrepancy. Don't kid yourself. Three or four tenths, in the real world, is worth fretting about. If people want to choose the sedan because they prefer it for legitimate reasons, that's one thing. I'm only bothered by the whole perception thing that wagons seem to be saddled with in the USDM. Wagons are more popular everywhere in the world. At the Tsubaka test, they used wagons (Legacy Spec B vs GT vs Audi RS6, etc). Most of the European magazines test wagons, as well, because wagons outsell sedans by a comfortable margin. Wagons rule, basically. :lol: Kevin

[quote] What does youth or age have to do with it? One day, the U.S. market will get over its wagon=age perceptions, and get into the better utility, field of vision and better weight balance of the wagon, not to mention better looks. [/quote] I'm not going to get in a batle of what looks better, as that is pretty subjective. But you have to agree that a station wagon is not a car for the young or young at heart. It has more utility, a closer to 50/50 weight spread, and possibly less blind spots, but its still a station wagon. The US has the perception of wagons as old people and mom-haulers b/c before these modern wagons existed wood-paneled GM crapboxes were hauling families around. Remember National Lampoons? That is a "real" station wagon and the image of wagons for most americans. Perhaps in Venezuela or Austria or New Zealand they never had to deal with the "real" station wagons that set the perceptions here...I am not sure what was sold overseas at that time. I think things are starting to change IRT the perception of wagons. I see a lot more Audi and VW wagons as well as Volvo driving around....but it is going to take some time before any normal 21-yr old college grad will go to buy a new car and pick a wagon over a sedan.

[quote name='bravoballer'][quote] What does youth or age have to do with it? One day, the U.S. market will get over its wagon=age perceptions, and get into the better utility, field of vision and better weight balance of the wagon, not to mention better looks. [/quote] I'm not going to get in a batle of what looks better, as that is pretty subjective. But you have to agree that a station wagon is not a car for the young or young at heart. It has more utility, a closer to 50/50 weight spread, and possibly less blind spots, but its still a station wagon. The US has the perception of wagons as old people and mom-haulers b/c before these modern wagons existed wood-paneled GM crapboxes were hauling families around. Remember National Lampoons? That is a "real" station wagon and the image of wagons for most americans. Perhaps in Venezuela or Austria or New Zealand they never had to deal with the "real" station wagons that set the perceptions here...I am not sure what was sold overseas at that time. I think things are starting to change IRT the perception of wagons. I see a lot more Audi and VW wagons as well as Volvo driving around....but it is going to take some time before any normal 21-yr old college grad will go to buy a new car and pick a wagon over a sedan.[/quote] That's my whole point. Why ISN'T a wagon for the young? Silly perception, founded in memories of the wood-sided "station wagons" of yore. "I can't drive one of those...my dad did." This is also why automakers are finding other names for wagons, precisely becuase "station wagon" conjures up those images like the one in the "Vacation" movie. Audi tried marketing the A4 Avant as "a sports sedan with a backpack," which was pretty cool, but didn't seem to work all that well with the young folks in the USDM. You'd be hard-pressed to find an automaker who calls their wagon a "station wagon." Most call them "sport wagons," "activity vehicle," or some such designation. The success of sport wagons such as the WRX or Mazda 3 (the Protege 5 also did rather well) is encouraging, and shows that people are starting to get over it. But I think that some of it is that in the USDM, we identify with our cars personally. We become what we drive. That isn't the case in other markets, which I think is why wagons have such success in those markets. Europeans, for example, buy cars to use, and they think about why they use them. Even the car commercials are different, focussing on what the car does, rather than what the car can make you into, or image, as car adverts do in this market. I'm 42, and have been a wagon devotee for more than 20 years (well, first minivans) because of my bicycle racing pursuits. So yes, I came to wagons because of what they do, rather than any image thing. I loved my long-gone Dodge Grand Caravan. That was an awesome vehicle for so many reasons. Interestingly, cycle racers don't have that whole "wagons are for old folks" or "minivans are for mommies" notion, because necessity has foisted upon them the reality of wagons' effectiveness. You're right, the perception of wagons is changing, and hopefully, people will get over those misguided, age-based notions. Ditto for minivans, which are first-rate vehicles, but suffer the same perception problems as wagons. Many SUV drivers, for example, would be much happier with an all-wheel-drive minivan. It would haul more, be more spacious and comfortable, and have better performance in addition to driving and handling better. But an SUV makes you into something different than a minivan. It's all kind of silly, if you ask me. Then again, maybe having 20-year-olds buying Legacy wagons and tricking them out might not be such a good thing after all. :lol: Kevin

I'm 22 and I want either a WRX STi Wagon, or a Legacy 2.5GT (turbo) Wagon! I'm young, young at heart, and WAGONS RULE! Oh crap, I'm not 22 for another 12 days. :D I'm still young. :lol: I agree Kevin, the perception in the U.S. is way off about a lot of things, wagons being one.

[quote name='SUBE555']I love the U.S. for many things, but so many things are wrong with many citizens of this country.[/quote] And yet I'm moving back there on Thursday. The good outweighs the bad. The worst of all: taxes.

Well I'll stick in my few cents worth, I've had my wagon now for 6 months now, and not once have I looked at a legacy sedan and had a twinge of buyers remorse. IMO the rear of the wagon looks better, the rear seats can recline slightly and there is a little bit more headroom.

The same goes for the colour, even the wife said that black looked more sporty and I have yet to see another and wish that my car was a different colour. Admittedly the old style GT wagon in dark blue still looks good, and I did see a new yellow Legacy with gold alloys, but I'm still happy with black and all the problems that may come when the chips start appearing on the bonnet.

---------

The liver is EVIL, it must be PUNISHED

DSCN1421.jpg.6f61022f9da642c0bfe777098ac5df0b.jpg

I've got the sedan and am entirely happy with it, except I would have had the wagon if my company had allowed it (sales people can only drive sedans - something to do with image in their opinion) - given the choice I'd still take the wagon. I think the slope of the roof looks great.

I haven't stopped drooling from looking at that wagon! So um, yeah, USDM Black Wagon, nicely tinted windows, maybe 40-60, just enough, make the front corners clear, throw on Spec B wheels (maybe powdercoat them a medium bronze like the S202 wheels), and STi springs. *drooling even more* Simple, refined, yet badass! :P

[quote name='MSB']Well I'll stick in my few cents worth, I've had my wagon now for 6 months now, and not once have I looked at a legacy sedan and had a twinge of buyers remorse. IMO the rear of the wagon looks better, the rear seats can recline slightly and there is a little bit more headroom. The same goes for the colour, even the wife said that black looked more sporty and I have yet to see another and wish that my car was a different colour. Admittedly the old style GT wagon in dark blue still looks good, and I did see a new yellow Legacy with gold alloys, but I'm still happy with black and all the problems that may come when the chips start appearing on the bonnet. --------- [i]The liver is EVIL, it must be PUNISHED[/i][/quote] Ummmm...wow! :o That is one seriously good-looking wagon. Just when I had my heart set on not getting black, you had to go and post that thing. Kevin

ABSOLUTELY love your car! looks waaaay nice! I am pretty much set on silver, but I will surely be getting my windows tinted when I get the wagon! I love those spec-b wheels so much. I sure hope they offer them here in the states! I would add them as an option for sure!

[quote name='gtguy'] Careful, there. The WRX wagon is a scant 80 lbs lighter than the sedan, but those 80 lbs are where it helps handling, which is why the wagon rotates into a corner better than the sedan. Wagons are usually marginally heavier than their sedan counterparts, but again, the weight aids the front/rear balance (viewed as a percentage), so wagons are usually closer to 50/50 than sedans. The WRX wagon is a few tenths or so off the sedan, in Subaru official time land. In the real world, the difference is almost nonexistent, more driver-dependent than any actual discrepancy. Don't kid yourself. Three or four tenths, in the real world, is worth fretting about. If people want to choose the sedan because they prefer it for legitimate reasons, that's one thing. I'm only bothered by the whole perception thing that wagons seem to be saddled with in the USDM. Wagons are more popular everywhere in the world. At the Tsubaka test, they used wagons (Legacy Spec B vs GT vs Audi RS6, etc). Most of the European magazines test wagons, as well, because wagons outsell sedans by a comfortable margin. Wagons rule, basically. :lol: Kevin[/quote] Some good points Kevin... Is that a typo, though: "Don't kid yourself. Three or four tenths, in the real world, is worth fretting about." Before I start on it, I want to make sure it is.... Otherwise, I do want a 50/50 weight balance. It does help with handling all of the time. I am just one of those people that can't see why people would buy anything bigger than they need on a regular basis. I had trouble justifying the Evo to myself, since it is a SEDAN, let alone a wagon! I don't see the reason for buying a car that is a lot larger than what you need regularly. If you are going to haul a bike around a lot, or have kids or whatever, then I could see getting a larger car. For me (single, but dating, have a dog, but no kids), all I need the car to do is satisfy me performance wise and be able to carry my hockey gear, including two or three sticks. All of my coupes have been able to do that, so I never really saw an advantage to a sedan or anything bigger. My dog loves going in the car, but I am fine with her in the front seat, back seat, or wherever she wants to be. In coupes, she gets a nice floor (the trunk) to sleep on. She would have the same with a wagon... but I don't think she's unhappy with the Evo. She still gets a window right there that she can stick her head out of. I would have to have the seats folded down for that to happen in a wagon. So, I'm in the minority, that's fine... When I have kids I might buy a wagon... till then... no real reason for me to do so.

Archived