LegacyGT.com

Loss off power to radio and climate control.

resipsa99

LittleBlueGT how did they only replace the HVAC by itself and the radio by itself? The whole unit is integrated so they would have to replace the entire unit if there was a problem with one of them.

They replaced the radio/HVAC faceplate, not the guts of the radio itself.

Of course,after that didn't solve the probelm, they replaced the radio, and that didn't solve it either!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They replaced the radio/HVAC faceplate, not the guts of the radio itself.

Of course,after that didn't solve the probelm, they replaced the radio, and that didn't solve it either!!!!!!!!!

You should really tell them to just order a new unit and replace it. It sounds like you have the same exact problem I had. My HVAC display was completely dead but my radio worked fine. Does your radio display not dim anymore when you turn on your headlights?

My 05 LGT just did this same thing... the HVAC and radio lights went out, but the radio and A/C still work. You just can't see what the settings are. Also, I noticed that when I pulled over and had the car idling, it started to fade a little bit, both the idle and the other dash lights. My wife said it happened to her once and she couldn't even start the car after she tried to restart it. I didn't believe her! Now, I see what she is talking about... are we sure it is the radio, and not an alternator or something?

Also, my CD player skips all the time, even on brand new CDs from the store.

My 05 LGT just did this same thing... the HVAC and radio lights went out, but the radio and A/C still work. You just can't see what the settings are. Also, I noticed that when I pulled over and had the car idling, it started to fade a little bit, both the idle and the other dash lights. My wife said it happened to her once and she couldn't even start the car after she tried to restart it. I didn't believe her! Now, I see what she is talking about... are we sure it is the radio, and not an alternator or something?

Also, my CD player skips all the time, even on brand new CDs from the store.

I didn't have any problems with the dash lights fading or anything. The only reason I asked LittleBlueGT about his radio unit dimming or not was because when I lost control of my HVAC my radio didn't dim anymore when I turned on my headlights.

My problem gave no indications that it was the alternator malfunctioning. The problem was also solved when my radio and HVAC unit was replaced.

• 5 weeks later...
I didn't have any problems with the dash lights fading or anything. The only reason I asked LittleBlueGT about his radio unit dimming or not was because when I lost control of my HVAC my radio didn't dim anymore when I turned on my headlights.

My problem gave no indications that it was the alternator malfunctioning. The problem was also solved when my radio and HVAC unit was replaced.

Well, dag nab it! I've got a similar problem now too! My radio and climate control displays light up and function properly, but when I adjust the dimmer switch, they go from the brightest setting to the dimmest setting, with no adjustment in between.

I notice also that the lights under the buttons for the radio (the numbered CD buttons, audio buttons, Balance button, am/fm/cd selector button, etc) AND the climate control (the AC, Mode, Fan speed, defrost button, etc) do not light up at all whether the lights are on or not!

The red dash lights (around the tach and speedometer, etc) work and dim just fine.

Are the lights under the buttons on the radio and climate control fused separately?

Well, dag nab it! I've got a similar problem now too! My radio and climate control displays light up and function properly, but when I adjust the dimmer switch, they go from the brightest setting to the dimmest setting, with no adjustment in between.

I notice also that the lights under the buttons for the radio (the numbered CD buttons, audio buttons, Balance button, am/fm/cd selector button, etc) AND the climate control (the AC, Mode, Fan speed, defrost button, etc) do not light up at all whether the lights are on or not!

The red dash lights (around the tach and speedometer, etc) work and dim just fine.

Are the lights under the buttons on the radio and climate control fused separately?

Finally figured it out: The harness that I used to connect up my bluetooth carkit did not have a lead that connected the dimmer connection all the way through to the headunit. A bit of splicing magic and we are back up with instrument panel lights!!!

According to the service guy at Timmons Subaru in Long Beach, they aren't sure why this problem occurs. He's only had a couple of people come to him with it. He said that because the radio is made my another company they find it easier to just replace the radio with no questions asked.

Great... They replace it with another one just like it. Nice troubleshooting Subaru...

Mine did the same and the dealer pulled a U1221 error code. ECU/ CAN comm link failure / ECU failure.

Of course I had other gremlins as well...sweeping guages while driving, the random volume, display flickering on the rad/hvac etc

See the post Legasaurus Stranded me on Vacation.

• 3 months later...
Happened last night 05 LGT have had it 18 months total of 18K miles. Radio & HVAC work but no illuminatin of face plates. Nothing brought it back. On the way to L.I. this morning it just came back on all by itself. The only other gremlin I've experienced is the flaky ILL5 msg.

• 2 weeks later...
I just had this issue happen to me. About 6 weeks ago, upon ignition, both radio & HVAC displays were blank...I immediately just shutdown and restarted the car, and all was fine. Well, last night when driving home from work...I happened to notice that parts of the radio & HVAC displays looked funny....I could see thin horizontal red lines between the pixels...and some pixels were missing...and different parts of each display were dimmer than others and were flickering just slightly. So I got home...left the car on...took some pics (in case the issue magically repaired itself). I then shut the car off. Then I turned it back on....and both displays were blank. I restarted it again....and got the same result. So, I tapped the side of the console lightly with my knuckle....and the HVAC display came back on. Everything appeared to be functioning besides the display. I called the dealer, and they said I could stop by and they'd have a tech verify...and order a new unit. I also noticed a slight hum coming from the unit that wasn't there before.

• 1 month later...
Add me to the list for this. I can turn my radio on/off but can't change the channel(its stuck on an awful station too), no other functions respond. I can not turn the HVAC off or change any settings other than the temp. Even after restart, it continues to malfunction.

The dealership replaced mine under warranty. Be sure to check the bezel around the shifter when they are done...because they scratched the hell out of mine during the swap. I had to come back about 2 weeks later for them to replace that piece too.

Well add me to this list now. Car is 19 Mths old with 22K. Turned off car to get the mail (mail box key is on the same key chain as car keys). Got back in and radio and HVAC dead, fan running. Drove around the corner and parked car in garage. Turned it off, waited a minute and started it again. Problem solved. This morning everything seems fine. Will call dealer anyways to mention issue.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Here is the problem: My HVAC and radio display lights used to go off every once and a while. I think the fan still worked, but I obviously could not see what adjustments I was making. They would come back on after I restarted the car. It really only happened when it was really hot out and the A/C was on. Also, my CD player skipped on every song of every CD, even new CDs.

Solution: Some Legacy HVAC-stereo units have the HVAC tube run right through the stereo. Condensation gets on it, which causes the CD player to skip and, sometimes, causes the entire HVAC-stereo display to short out. You have to replace the entire HVAC-stereo unit. My dealer actually pre-ordered one for me and replaced it under warranty with no hassle at all. Now I have no skipping and no display problems. Do not have your dealer replace only the display faceplate; it will not work. The newer HVAC-stereo units run the HVAC tubing outside the CD player.

Good luck, Chris

My 05 LGT has done this to me a number of times. Although, 'rebooting' the car hasn't worked for me. I'm now in the habit of reaching into the fuse box area and wiggling anything that will move. That usually gets things working again. One of these days, I'll actually take a good look under there and see if I can find something obviously loose. Luke

• 2 months later...

My car was feeling left out of this thread and decided to turn off the lights and controls to the Radio & HVAC. Restart worked.

Chris, is your HU still working properly? So, does keeping the AC off help?

My problem is that I am at +40,000 miles now and stand no chance of getting this under warranty.

Cheers,

Mike

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...