LegacyGT.com

Loss off power to radio and climate control.

resipsa99

Now, my question is when I take it to the dealership, do I mention that I just installed the OEM under-seat sub about a 1 week ago.:confused:

The fact that you installed the under-seat sub should have absolutely no impact on this problem. However, to be on the safe side, only tell them what you need to: that your HVAC/Radio is screwed up. Hopefully they'll have the common sence to replace the radio. ;)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have experienced the same. I got my 05 OBXT last wendesday (used, 14800 miles). On the interstate yesterday, the radio and ACC screens went blank. Upon restart, they were back on. Then a few miles later, they went off again and didn't come back on with the restart. I tapped the radio screen and it then came back on.

Now today, I started the car to come back from my parents and they were off again. About 10 miles down the road, I tapped the radio screen a few times and it looked like the screens would partially come on for about 1 or 2 seconds. It stays off until I filled up the gas tank and then it stayed on the rest of my trip.

The radio and ACC both work fine other than the screen. I can change songs on the CD and adjust the ACC, just the screens stay off for a while.

Maybe I will have it checked out soon.

According to the service guy at Timmons Subaru in Long Beach, they aren't sure why this problem occurs. He's only had a couple of people come to him with it. He said that because the radio is made my another company they find it easier to just replace the radio with no questions asked.

• 2 weeks later...
I had the same thing happen to me. One time. Nothing since.

My radio has always worked, but my HVAC system died. Got the HVAC part replaced under warranty, but 10 mins later died again. Still blows air, but the display does not work. Radio has always worked fine.

Anybody have anything other then the front HVAC replaced, maybe some other control unit mounted under the dash somewhere?

• 1 month later...

Bump

Just happened to mine while I am driving.

It is a pretty hot day here in Toronto today.

However, only displays are gone, but everything still functional.

Shutdown, restart, display came back on again.

Had an aftermarket Alarm, Subwoofer&Amp, STi gauge installed.

But I don't think those causes this problem.

Add my 2005 to the list. The display on the radio and HVAC controls both go out simultaneously, then come back. I thought maybe they blinked when temperature was reached. Guess not, huh? Radio works during this episode so it must just be the display.

• 2 weeks later...

Well add me to this long list(no pwer to radio or ac,,no sound,no lites ,no cold lol.),,happened last nite fr the second time in about a year.Everything fine on restart.

Hoepfully this sucker wont go out on my vacation:icon_mad:

BTW,,This was on my 05 GT,my wife has not had it happen on our 06 2.5i LTD.

got my first (& hopefully only) little blackout today -- 90 degrees (I was not pleased :icon_wink .

+1 for eject button fix, coughed up pink floyd, both lit right up.

will this be a tsb (being that so many have the prob, hope it doesn't persist/get worse), cuz extended warranty doesn't cover radio, i think?

got my first (& hopefully only) little blackout today -- 90 degrees (I was not pleased :icon_wink .

+1 for eject button fix, coughed up pink floyd, both lit right up.

will this be a tsb (being that so many have the prob, hope it doesn't persist/get worse), cuz extended warranty doesn't cover radio, i think?

Hoping for a TSB.

Anybody else there problem fixed? They replaced the HVAC controls, problem still there. Replaced radio, problem still there. Never replaced both at same time though?????????

Going on 3 months of no display, although it worked today for about 9 mins. 99% of the time for me it does not work.:(

This weekend I took a 3 hour drive to my girlfriend's parents' house. I noticed that randomly the displays would flicker on and off. It didn't stay off though. I noticed that the displays were very warm to the touch so maybe that had something to do with it. I also found that my radio hates playing burned cds. It sounds very static-y for a few seconds, then ok for a few minutes.

Also didn't make me happy that I got a CEL + flashing cruise light for the 2nd time in 2 weeks on that trip. I'm hoping this crap doesn't continue.

Well I read this thread last year and it finally happened to me. Last week my HVAC controls were flickering on and off. When they were on I had full control of my AC. When they turned off I lost all controls but still had AC blowing. However this weekend while I was upstate I lost complete control of them. The HVAC display was totally gone and the AC was stuck on. I did a hard reset which turned the AC off. When I was driving home though I decided to try the AC and it turned on but a few seconds later the display just died. Throughout the whole ride the display would come back for a few seconds or so and then turn off.

I did notice something when my controls first completely died. Since it was nighttime I had my headlights on and I noticed that the radio display did not dim out with the rest of the displays. I'm pretty sure that it used to do it unless I'm imagining things. Well unless it comes back on tomorrow it's off to the dealer for me.

• 2 weeks later...

ok well shit I am now on this list but mine is a little different. Today i went to the Mall and on my way back I noticed that the MPG display was flashing "Acc" and some times "Err" but the radio and ACC screeens were blank none of the buttons do anything and the clock is not displayed.

I then turned off and on and no change.

When I got home I disconnected the battery to see if that helped but all that did is let the clock come back but if i hit some buttons it will go out and some others it'll come back on but just the clock display. All other stuff does nothing.

Sigh.

I'm gonna go back out to it and fire it up again and pray.

I was looking through the cars that people have listed in their profiles on this thread. With all the 05 GT's listed you'd think this problem was isolated to the 05's. I've got a 06 GT and so far no problems with the radio or AC display. I'll keep an eye out for the problem, but was wondering if any 06 GT drivers have had this issue with their radio or AC?

PSBreen

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
happened three times in the last week, i'm taking it into subaru on monday.. should i uninstall my satellite radio bracket? it mounts between the radio and the trim piece.. everything works normally, just both displays go out..

soo, dropped my car off at the dealer early in the morning yesterday, was 2 hours late to work because of it.. (no biggie).. got a piece of junk loaner car (the suspension bangs, windows don't work, etc.) just to find out all they did was replace my wiper blades... for the window switches they said they can't duplicate... for the radio an AC display, they said they can't duplicate... and of course it happened to me today. give me the wiring diagrams an all that stuff an i'll figure it out on my own at work :( sorry for venting, i'm pissed.

soo, dropped my car off at the dealer early in the morning yesterday, was 2 hours late to work because of it.. (no biggie).. got a piece of junk loaner car (the suspension bangs, windows don't work, etc.) just to find out all they did was replace my wiper blades... for the window switches they said they can't duplicate... for the radio an AC display, they said they can't duplicate... and of course it happened to me today. give me the wiring diagrams an all that stuff an i'll figure it out on my own at work :( sorry for venting, i'm pissed.

6 Months and my display still is not fixed. Dealer replaced front panel and radio, still is off 95% of the time for me.

Good luck with the wiring diagrams. I checked every wire on mine and all work correctly. It is not near as simple as one might think.

Hey everyone! Neal Demazure here, I'm one of the service writers here at Subaru of Milford. One of my customers has been having this very problem with his spec-B and we believe we have found the problem (and hopefully the solution).

Basically it goes like this:

Subaru (for whatever reason) decided to route at least part of the HVAC wire harness thru the radio in the LGTs. This is why this problem happens to both the HVAC and the radio simultaniously. After going over TSB# 10-75-04 15-112-04 and consulting some of the local technicians we are more sure than not that replaceing the radio unit will solve the problem.

We will be doing this work on my customers car on monday (assuming we can get the nessicary parts in time) at which time I'll report back and let you all know the result!

In any case, I thought it might be nice to let you (the community) know what the heck is going on with this lettle electrical demon. :icon_twis

My car's radio and climate control shut off but also every gauge pinned

and there was a error 55 and overheat

Hey everyone! Neal Demazure here, I'm one of the service writers here at Subaru of Milford. One of my customers has been having this very problem with his spec-B and we believe we have found the problem (and hopefully the solution).

Basically it goes like this:

Subaru (for whatever reason) decided to route at least part of the HVAC wire harness thru the radio in the LGTs. This is why this problem happens to both the HVAC and the radio simultaniously. After going over TSB# 10-75-04 15-112-04 and consulting some of the local technicians we are more sure than not that replaceing the radio unit will solve the problem.

We will be doing this work on my customers car on monday (assuming we can get the nessicary parts in time) at which time I'll report back and let you all know the result!

In any case, I thought it might be nice to let you (the community) know what the heck is going on with this lettle electrical demon. :icon_twis

My car's radio and climate control shut off but also every gauge pinned

and there was a error 55 and overheat

Well I read this thread last year and it finally happened to me. Last week my HVAC controls were flickering on and off. When they were on I had full control of my AC. When they turned off I lost all controls but still had AC blowing. However this weekend while I was upstate I lost complete control of them. The HVAC display was totally gone and the AC was stuck on. I did a hard reset which turned the AC off. When I was driving home though I decided to try the AC and it turned on but a few seconds later the display just died. Throughout the whole ride the display would come back for a few seconds or so and then turn off.

I did notice something when my controls first completely died. Since it was nighttime I had my headlights on and I noticed that the radio display did not dim out with the rest of the displays. I'm pretty sure that it used to do it unless I'm imagining things. Well unless it comes back on tomorrow it's off to the dealer for me.

Well just got back from the dealer today and all is well again. They had to replace the whole unit to fix the problem. Took them awhile to get the part but I finally have control of my AC again.

Hoping for a TSB.

Anybody else there problem fixed? They replaced the HVAC controls, problem still there. Replaced radio, problem still there. Never replaced both at same time though?????????

Going on 3 months of no display, although it worked today for about 9 mins. 99% of the time for me it does not work.:(

LittleBlueGT how did they only replace the HVAC by itself and the radio by itself? The whole unit is integrated so they would have to replace the entire unit if there was a problem with one of them.