LegacyGT.com

Insurance

[quote name='Dr. Zevil']I am hoping that my GT wagon insurance will be lower than my WRX sedan insurance. Simple fact that boy-racers aren't going to be ruining the reputation of us family-wagon owners ;) :twisted:[/quote] You think so, huh? There's already talk of up and down pipes, exhaust stuff, body kits, 19-inch wheels, reflashes, getting somewhere north of 300hp out of the car, etc, etc. I don't think the car has been made that can't be corrupted by the boy racers, which is unfortunate. Hopefully, those people will buy sedans, as they did with the WRX. But the Legacy in turbo form shouldn't be that much more expensive than a WRX, unfortunately. People can do what they want to their own cars, to be sure, but the actions of those people will affect perceptions and yes, insurance rates. Your GT wagon will definitely be lower than your WRX sedan, however. No question about that. I'm thinking that the GT wagon should cost about the same as my WRX wagon ($800 per annum), which isn't bad at all. Kevin

Yeah, I know there will be some boy ricers that will buy the GT, but lik eyou said I hope that they will get the sedan. The wagon will hopefully detract from he racers and attract more mature drivers. I know that I like to hammer 0-60 runs, but I also know when and where to do it, making me more responsible than some. I also know that the insurance agencies will look at the wagon as a family truckster and not a autocross racer. Match that with AWD and incredible safety ratings and the car will be some kind of special sleeper. I can't wait!

i agree.....most of the time when a new model comes out, the insurance co. doesn't have the specs for the car (i.e. HP numbers) in there database yet. What they end up doing is using the previous model year data in lieu of the new model. gtguy....800 a year...thats cheap my friend. Im paying 2800 every 6 months in NYC....
"Gimme mines Balboa...Gimme mines".....Clubber Lang - Mr. T

[quote name='Ridgeracer']i agree.....most of the time when a new model comes out, the insurance co. doesn't have the specs for the car (i.e. HP numbers) in there database yet. What they end up doing is using the previous model year data in lieu of the new model. gtguy....800 a year...thats cheap my friend. Im paying 2800 every 6 months in NYC....[/quote] Yeah, but I'm 42, and live in a zooty suburb. It would be cheaper still, but the people in my community buy their kids cars, and they crash 'em to beat the band. And then there are the soccer moms driving Hummers, and I don't mean H2s. They don't go in for compacts up there. :lol: So even though the median home price is somewhere north of $300,000, there are a ton of insurance claims. Too funny. Kevin

oh i see.....Im only 25 and single living in the city. Perhaps someday ill get past all this fast paced living and move somewhere else....lol So what state are you located....Cali
"Gimme mines Balboa...Gimme mines".....Clubber Lang - Mr. T

[quote name='Ridgeracer']oh i see.....Im only 25 and single living in the city. Perhaps someday ill get past all this fast paced living and move somewhere else....lol So what state are you located....Cali[/quote] Illinois, on the North Shore, in Highland Park. Kevin

[url]http://www.subaru.co.uk/news_events_driving_gallery/news_events_driving_and_gallery_main_frameset.htm[/url] According the subaru.co.uk website the new Legacy has been placed in a lower insurance level than previous models. Don't know how rates compare globally but I'm paying about the same for my GT spec B in Tokyo as I was for the Passat VR5 I had in Monaco

I got ya'll beat. Like $375/year but that's good student and on the parents wonderful educator insurance, and my LegGT is 7 years old. Amazingly, my mom's RS is 3X that of my dad's Leg L Wagon, both same year. :roll: I'd imagine the Leg may be a little less, but not likely by too much. I wonder what the current GT rates are, maybe hike just a little, and you're likely to get the new numbers. I plan on doing some modifying, but as much factory gear as possible, and not into the realm of rice. Sleeper all the way. ;)

[quote name='SUBE555'] I plan on doing some modifying, but as much factory gear as possible, and not into the realm of rice. Sleeper all the way. ;)[/quote] Shuttup RICER! :lol: I would do some factory mods.. it would be nice to know what's going to be AVAILABLE! SOA is a bunch of tight lips. Release the info already dammit!

SOA in itself hasn't been much for factory parts, at least the real good stuff from Japan, though they're opening up. I'm not a ricer, ricers won't pay for quality 1st-rate parts. :lol:

[quote name='SUBE555']SOA in itself hasn't been much for factory parts, at least the real good stuff from Japan, though they're opening up. I'm not a ricer, ricers won't pay for quality 1st-rate parts. :lol:[/quote] The WRX is really the first car where people have shown interest in modding, and Subaru has made a whole parts book worth of goodies available, from cat-backs to Momo shift knobs. My WRX is all-Subaru, all the time, from STi clutch hose to 4-pot brakes to suspension setup. Perfect fit, better than OEM quality and functional excellence. It cured me of the "aftermarket" once and for all. Kevin

Some of the prices though like brake lines is just ungodly! Althought the SPT/Bosal 3" Stainless Cat-Back is by far one of the more inexpensive cat-backs out there. :) I'd like to see how the construction is though, how many baffles and how restrictive it is. I'd like to see the full book available from suspension to drivetrain and power. Make it the STi/SPT/Prodrive parts book. And make it reasonable. Would cure my itch for just about anything non-FHI/Prodrive (though a Cobb reflash and their downpipe would likely be one of the few non OE parts.)

But Prodrive isn't technically Fuji Heavy Industries, and don't forget that SPT is in fact STi in most instances. Subaru just can't use STi in the States, because Shimano, with their STI (Shimano Total Integration) bicycle shifting system were there first. Hence, the SPT for Subaru Performance Tuning, which also makes more sense to the U.S. folks than Subaru Technica International. The SPT (or STi, if you will) stuff should be expensive. It isn't cheesy, often poorly engineered aftermarket stuff. Installing the SPT suspension on my WRX wagon was revelatory. Everything was perfect. I was able to install the rear struts, which have to line up just so, in the dark. Great stuff. What happened with the WRX was when people said "Open the parts book" and Subaru did, then everyone said "That stuff's too expensive," and went aftermarket anyhow. Subaru is sufficiently small when it comes to things such as that, where they remember and learn. They won't make the parts cheaper, because they can't. They just might not offer them. Kevin

I know about Subaru and SPT and STi and Prodrive and the things you mention and their relationships. I also agree on the parts being superior. However, being competitive in one way, shape, or form is still possible. Many of their parts are comparable in price but superior in build quality and engineering. They may not be the ultra cutting-edge, but they're built to perform and have OE-like reliability. Gotta love that! Some of the things that are superior in price and offer an excellent value are their new Bosal Cat-Back, bugeye SPT suspensions, mounts, and a few other things. A few things I think that are off the map are their clutches and flywheels (I believe made by exedy which can be had for 1/2 to 2/3 of the cost), brake lines (the Stoptechs which are very high-grade cost about 1/3 of the STi lines), etc... I'm not saying all parts are unreasonable, just some parts seem a little out of line. They have some really great products, but they really aren't actively advertised and pricing on a few items may make some people who are on the fence go elsewhere. Back to that key, they won't sell stuff if people don't know its out there. Chrysler actively advertises and informs people of the performance parts out there for the SRT4. Thats probably why its well known.

Right on, Sube. But sometimes you have to pay a little more to support the home team and keep the stuff coming. Yet the aftermarket also has an effect, which I think is why the WRX parts book as offered by Subaru is suddenly so much more extensive. When I bought my car, there was the suspension kit and short shifter. There's so much more now. We'll see what happens with the Legacy parts book, but is there really that much on offer in other markets for the car? I know that Japan gets different stuff, and have access to STi bits... Kevin

[quote name='gtguy']Right on, Sube. But sometimes you have to pay a little more to support the home team and keep the stuff coming. Yet the aftermarket also has an effect, which I think is why the WRX parts book as offered by Subaru is suddenly so much more extensive. When I bought my car, there was the suspension kit and short shifter. There's so much more now. We'll see what happens with the Legacy parts book, but is there really that much on offer in other markets for the car? I know that Japan gets different stuff, and have access to STi bits... Kevin[/quote] So true, I was so disappointed by the factory performance options. Not to mention the fact that I would have to drop $3K on BBS wheels if I wanted them from the factory.. just stupid. I did get the STi shifter though. I just couldn't resist :D

I just wish SoA will have STI version of Legacy eventually (sooner is better) so insurance companies won't say that GT is a performance model and raise the rates a lot on it

Archived