LegacyGT.com

Different Speeds out of each gear from 05'-06'

GTWILLY

Ok sorry if this has been adressed already, but I couldn't find a post on it. My old 05' legacy gt non ltd. 5mt would get about 83mph out of 3rd gear at 6500 rpm and about 89 at 7000 rpm. I bought a 06' spec b last week and I get around 93mph at 6500 rpm and 99mph at 7000rpm. So I was wondering if they changed the gear ratios from 05' to 06', or if there was something different about my old 05' or something different with my 06'? I figure someone knows the answer to this, so please help. thank you

Yea good call, I went and checked the over all diameter of both rims+tires, and the gt is 25" and the spec b is 26". Thanks, only reason why it confused me was I thought I had read somewhere people saying that they had ran 1/4 mile times at 99mph and not shifting into 4th vs shifting into 4th. Maybe they just let the rev limiter bang a couple times or I just read it wrong. Thanks though.

Yea good call, I went and checked the over all diameter of both rims+tires, and the gt is 25" and the spec b is 26". Thanks, only reason why it confused me was I thought I had read somewhere people saying that they had ran 1/4 mile times at 99mph and not shifting into 4th vs shifting into 4th. Maybe they just let the rev limiter bang a couple times or I just read it wrong. Thanks though.

no, I topped out 3rd at 101.5 according to my trap speed but my spedo said almost like 98ish. i'm running 255/45/18's so it changes the diamater a bit. and that was at 7k rpm

no, I topped out 3rd at 101.5 according to my trap speed but my spedo said almost like 98ish. i'm running 255/45/18's so it changes the diamater a bit. and that was at 7k rpm

That must have been what I had seen, just forgot that you had bigger wheels and tires on your gt. I bet those 255's can hold some G's through the turns. :icon_bigg

Damn....what was the top speed on that bad boy...180??

I think they topped around 165ish if you had the room. The gearing in those cars was incredibly tall, but that bad ass twin turbo motor would torque the car for long hard pulls in each gear. The opposite of the Subaru, short quick snaps thru the gear

I'm not looking at the spedo at 90 mph on a secondary highway littered with deer crossings and cops. The extra pull to 7K really opens the Subaru up.

The 6spd in my 94 was perfect. You got a little more gearing advantage without resorting to super-short gears like Subaru prefers. Its 6spd went to about 110 in 3rd and 6th was a deep overdrive that resulted in rpms at maybe 3k even at 95+ mph.

Link: My 94

Link: The old 92 (just pics; it ran 12.91 @ 106 with a MBC and a downpipe)

yeah dats crazy yo... my buddy has a z28 Camaro (last gen style) that will almost hit 60 mph in first gear.. he gets through the 1/ 4 mile i believe in third gear at like 113-114 mph.. His car is slightly modified..

I knew that it was a bad idea for Subaru to put a 6MT into the 07 SpecB.... :(

2007 Subaru Impreza WRX STi Gear Ratios

1st: 3.636

2nd: 2.375

3rd: 1.521

4th:1.137

5th:0.971

6th: 0.756

final 3.9

2007 Subaru Legacy GT Spec.B

1st 3.636

2nd 2.235

3rd 1.521

4th 1.137

5th 0.891

6th 0.707

final 3.454

I'm never looking right at the speedo but I know my 3rd ends at 90 or extremely close to it.

My 92 Stealth (twin turbo, 5spd) could hit almost 120 in 3rd :D

My modified Corrado VR6 (rev limiter at 7K) would hit 7K in 3rd at around 110-115 mph.

W/ SC, on BAD (91 octane) gas in Montana, I hit 145 mph. And that's when it BADLY needed ignition wires. If it wasn't packed full (cross-country trip) and I was driving, I would say it would have easily hit 150-155.

Thought about a Stealth, but a friend had VERY bad experiences with his VR4K, so I avoided it..

HV

• 1 month later...
I knew that it was a bad idea for Subaru to put a 6MT into the 07 SpecB.... :(

The ratios, as previously mentioned, on the SpecB are noticeably higher than the STi. Stage II rev limiter on the STi in sixth gear was still good for 170+ mph.

I'm considering purchasing 18" wheels next spring. I like the idea of getting "taller" gears, with more MPH per gear, but will this affectively slow down acceleration due to the new final gear ratio?

This is just out of curiosity, I'll probably make the switch either way. Plus any time lost by the change of final ratio may be gotten back when you consider you don't need to shift to that next gear to hit whatever speed in some cases (IE: no shift to third during 0-60 time).

Archived