LegacyGT.com

Rockblocker vs X-Pel

jim1969

[quote name='ssaldana']Dont they use the same material (3M products) anyway?[/quote] Yes we both use the same 3M film. There are other differences as well and if anyone wants me to spell them out let me know. Until make sure to check out HUGE sale in the Vendor section for new Legacy owners.

[quote name='jim1969']What differences? How about Invinca-Shield or Stoneguard? Do they all look invisible? How about yellowing or warranties?[/quote] Jim, They are made from the same material 3M. Each company designs there kits a little differently for various reasons from cost to coverage to ease of install. Each companies warranty is different and you will have to check into what each is offering and what the limitations are. Our is lifetime for cracking, fading and/or yellowing of the film for as long as you own the vehicle. Some wrap the leading edge of the hood like ourselves, some are covering more of the car than need be, some are making the kit too many pieces and that can look bad over time. The prices can range from our great price of $190 all the way up to over $550 for just the product. Hope that helps a bit.

I was at a local shop recently and they were using Lumar film instead of 3M. The Lumar film looks more transparent when put side by side with the 3M, the 3M adhesive made their film look cloudy. This is just looking at the film before installation, so I'm not sure if the difference is that huge post install. Just thought I'd post it here to get some comparisons between the two brands of film. RockBlocker, most sites say the 3M will last about 6 years. Is your warranty claiming it'll last longer?

Guest *Jedimaster*
[quote name='CombatCQB']I was at a local shop recently and they were using Lumar film instead of 3M. The Lumar film looks more transparent when put side by side with the 3M, the 3M adhesive made their film look cloudy. This is just looking at the film before installation, so I'm not sure if the difference is that huge post install. Just thought I'd post it here to get some comparisons between the two brands of film. RockBlocker, most sites say the 3M will last about 6 years. Is your warranty claiming it'll last longer?[/quote] I don't want a full kit, but may be up for dooh handles, mirrors and headlight/foglights. What does last 6 year smean? I plan to keep this car longer than that- does the stuff peel off aftyer 6 years, yellow, or something else?

[quote name='CombatCQB']I was at a local shop recently and they were using Lumar film instead of 3M. The Lumar film looks more transparent when put side by side with the 3M, the 3M adhesive made their film look cloudy. This is just looking at the film before installation, so I'm not sure if the difference is that huge post install. Just thought I'd post it here to get some comparisons between the two brands of film. RockBlocker, most sites say the 3M will last about 6 years. Is your warranty claiming it'll last longer?[/quote] I think what you are seeing is other sites using the termonolgy that 3M uses with them. 3M offers a 6 year warranty to the original purchaser of the product from 3M themselves. 3M offers no warranty to the public. So resellers like myself are extending what 3m offers to you. I have seen the material 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 years old. It can and will last longer if you wash and wax often and maintain the film. If you just drive no it wont last 6 years. The clear coat finish on the film will get dried out and loose it nice finish.

[quote name='jim1969']What brand name was the Lumar film?[/quote] Llumar PPF is what it is called. I have done 20 cars with it and see three on regular basis and just this week I was looking at one of them and I cay see the film from 10 ft away. Seems to collect dirt around the edges and looses it finish. Sure is clear when you first get it though. I havent given up faith on that film, just dont think they are there yet like 3M

[quote name='jedimaster'][quote name='CombatCQB']I was at a local shop recently and they were using Lumar film instead of 3M. The Lumar film looks more transparent when put side by side with the 3M, the 3M adhesive made their film look cloudy. This is just looking at the film before installation, so I'm not sure if the difference is that huge post install. Just thought I'd post it here to get some comparisons between the two brands of film. RockBlocker, most sites say the 3M will last about 6 years. Is your warranty claiming it'll last longer?[/quote] I don't want a full kit, but may be up for dooh handles, mirrors and headlight/foglights. What does last 6 year smean? I plan to keep this car longer than that- does the stuff peel off aftyer 6 years, yellow, or something else?[/quote] Our warranty is for lifetime to the original purchaser of the product for cracking, fading and/or yellowing of the film. Plese check the vendor section for current sales on paint and light kits.

[quote name='jim1969']can it be put over a scuff mark/scratch on the plastic bumper? I have one on the very bottom from bottoming out after going over a large bump.[/quote] Jim, you are killing me the ?'s Actually I am glad you ask so many since a lot people dont and that can bite them if they dont or understand what this product is and does. The scuff - does it show the raw urethane bumper where there is not paint? Is it rough or more like a scratch? The product will adhere to the paint great with no problems or issues. When you have scuffs down low like that you might have to trim that area out since the film will not stick to it. I have seen this many times on used cars and have been able to work around it and make the customer happy. Have a good day and let me know if you have any more ?'s Chad

[quote name='jim1969']Killing you? I'm asking great questions so all can see how good your product is. After Lee does the 3 legacys this weekend I'll be ordering mine. He wanted to see how the installs go. Dude, I'm onboard. You do have full kits left, right?[/quote] Trust me, Lee is the best. :D While you're there, you should have your windows tinted as well. :twisted:

Archived