LegacyGT.com

Is our paint clearcoated, and what about waxing?

malachii

Hey guys. I'm picking up my new ride (05 GT wagon) at the end of the week (yay!). Anyhow coming from my '03 Sentra Spec-V which has no clear-coat (that I'm aware of anyhow), I'm curious if the 'leg has a clearcoat? To my untrained eye, it seems like it does. I was chatting with my father about waxing, etc, and he told me "something strange". He's of the opinion that modern clearcoat finishes don't need to be waxed at all. Obviously it looks better if you do, but is it possible he's right, or is this just heresy (or hearsay - take your pick)? Thanks, Mal.

Yes theirs is a clear coat, 1)primer 2) base coat 3)clear The paint is urethane which requires a clear ,which gives it the shine and protection. Youre base coat (the color of the car) will be fine as long as you protect the top clear coat . +1 to using Zano but I recoment Maguirs nxt, its great with less work that Zano an much cheaper best bang for you're buck . btw not waxing a car is asking for trouble my .02 cents

[quote name='malachii']Hey guys. I'm picking up my new ride (05 GT wagon) at the end of the week (yay!). Anyhow coming from my '03 Sentra Spec-V which has no clear-coat (that I'm aware of anyhow), I'm curious if the 'leg has a clearcoat? To my untrained eye, it seems like it does. I was chatting with my father about waxing, etc, and he told me "something strange". He's of the opinion that modern clearcoat finishes don't need to be waxed at all. Obviously it looks better if you do, but is it possible he's right, or is this just heresy (or hearsay - take your pick)? Thanks, Mal.[/quote] I'm afraid you're mistaken on the clearcoat part. Cars have been clearcoated since the 80s from the factory(at least). Only old cars or custom paint jobs may not have clearcoat. The Legacy is most definately clearcoated, as is your Sentra. Clearcoat does increase the durable life of the paint job and reduce the amount of work needed to keep it looking nice. However, wax (or even better, a synthetic sealent) provides a sacrificial layer of protection to the clearcoat (which is succeptible to environmental damage just like paint). Not only that, but waxes/sealants keep the vehicle cleaner longer, and make the washing job much easier. IMO, people who don't take a little time to wax their cars a few times a year are lazy. Why spend all this money on something and not take care of it (especially when it's not really all that hard). recommended link for supplies+excellent tutorials [url]http://www.autopia-carcare.com[/url]. I have learned much there that I never thought of before.

[quote name='eamiller']I'm afraid you're mistaken on the clearcoat part. Cars have been clearcoated since the 80s from the factory(at least).[/quote] That's the reason I didn't answer the clearcoat question initially. I wondered if I [b]really[/b] thought that all cars now had clearcoats. I needed time to ponder the issue I guess. In my limited experience, a sealer/wax combination is better. I went that route when I was not quite happy with a single stage product. It made a huge difference for me! I haven't touched my new Legacy GT with any wax yet though.

[quote name='malachii']Thanks for the info guys. I'll read up on that site and see what they have to say. Is it necessary to run sealant and wax, or do the "1 step" waxes do most of what is needed? Thanks, Mal.[/quote] Sealant and wax (wax on top of the sealant) increases depth of the finish (especially on dark colors). However, Carnuba (sp?) wax will evaporate under the sun in about a month, so you have to keep re-applying it to keep the effect going. Most sealants will provide protection for months, however.

Archived