The unit: Sirius XACT XLR8, purchased at Target for $79

Signal strength: Always 100%

Difficulty Level: 2 out of 10; turning off the seatbelt chime was harder

Time: < 1 hour

Supplies needed:

Pointed tool that won’t pierce wire

Electrical tape

Zip ties

Ladder or step stool (unless you’re tall)

Hey folks. I tried to search for good places to install a Sirius antenna on the web site, and didn’t find any options I liked. Several folks have mounted it inside on the rear deck above the trunk. I tried this and got spotty coverage at best, with frequent dropouts. I then decided to seek some professional advice. I almost let Circuit City install it, but was not happy with where they wanted to put it—just above the passenger door on the roof. I happen to like things symmetrical, so I decided to follow the Sirius recommendation of centered on the rear roof, six inches from the rear glass. Then, to tuck the antenna wire under the weatherstripping, routing into the trunk, under the rear seat and the plastic floor/door trim that goes along the driver side of the car.

My first step was to position the antenna roughly in the appropriate spot. This assures I won’t have excess slack in the antenna wire.

With the antenna approximately in place, I began to work the wire underneath the weatherstripping using a plastic, pointed tool, similar to a nailset. Not sure where it came from, why I had it or what it’s called. But it sure was the right tool for the job. It won’t puncture the wire, because it’s slightly blunt on the end, and you can push with considerable force when necessary.

The Sirius Radio I purchased was the XACT XLR8 portable unit. The antenna is very discreet and low profile, and looks fairly stealth against my obsidian black pearl Legacy. I’ve heard of some people painting the antenna to match the body color without any significant loss of signal. But in my case, this was unnecessary.

I routed the wire from the middle of the rear window weatherstripping toward the driver’s side. Working inch-by-inch, the plastic tool easily pushed the 18-ish gauge wire underneath the weatherstripping. That is, until I got to the turn that heads south toward the trunk. For the life of me, I couldn’t get it in there flush. There was a small gap that would probably leak during a hard rain. Nonetheless, I decided to carry on, routing the cable all the way to where the weatherstripping ends near the opening of the trunk. It’s helpful here to pop the trunk as the last bit of weatherstripping is actually inaccessible when the trunk is closed.

When I had finished routing the wire through the weatherstripping, I returned to the problem area. To my surprise and delight, the wire now pushed down flush all the way around the corner. I did this install in the hot Florida sun. I suppose it just had to warm up and get a little more flexible. So if you can’t get the wire in fully, just be patient, park it in the sun (or hit it with a hair dryer), and come back a few moments later.

The next phase is to get the wire into the trunk. The only thing standing in your way is an inch and a half or so of vertical weatherstripping. This is held down with pliable glue of some sort. Just pull straight up where you want to route the antenna, and route the wire through. One thing to be careful of—you’ll have to route the wire over a sharp piece of sheet metal. To help prevent the wire from chaffing, I wrapped it several times at the point of contact with electrical tape and also did the same on the metal. Then I kinked the wire and pushed the weatherstripping back into place, over the wire.

There are numerous ways to enter the cabin at this point. The way I chose was to zip tie the wire along the driver’s side roof of the trunk. Then you can tuck the wire behind some trim along the frontmost, driver side portion of the trunk.

Taking a break from the trunk, I entered the cabin and removed the entire rear bench seat. Just lift the driver’s side corner of the seat up, then the passenger side, then the middle. The entire seat should come up fairly easily. To reinstall, just reverse the process. (If you prefer, you could just lift the driver’s side, but the lighting isn’t that good, and unless you have really small hands, it’s not easy to fish the wire from the trunk).

With the rear seat removed, return to the trunk, and simply poke the antenna lead through the frontmost, lower driver’s side corner, towards the cabin. Then, go around to where the rear seats were, and reach up until you find the wire. (This might take you a few tries, but you’ll get it.) Pull it through and then zip tie it to the fat wire harness.

At this point, you can start routing the cable underneath the plastic trim along the footwells of the driver’s side. I have heard these things are a bitch to take off. Fortunately, the small gauge wire will go under without removing the trim, although it will take some additional effort in places. Continue routing the wire as far up as necessary. I took a right hand turn for my installation at the pillar between the front and rear doors. I ran the wire to the Sirius unit that I mounted directly behind the auto gear shifter.

Just tie up any extra slack underneath the seat, making sure the sliding action of the seat isn’t hampered, and plug it in to the unit.

The final step is to affix the antenna in the proper place. First, clean the area with the included alcohol pad. This will ensure clean adhesion. If you’ve measured correctly, you should have only the amount of wire you need. The antenna unit I selected (and all other aftermarket antennas I’ve seen) has a tail with interlocking teeth that joins it to the antenna. It’s important to make sure the teeth on the antenna and the tail mesh perfectly. This helps keep the antenna in place as the antenna itself is only magnetic. This is somewhat challenging because the adhesive will stick the moment you touch it to metal. Anyway, just be careful, and you’ll be fine.

Test fit the tail and the antenna before removing the adhesive tape. When the antenna is in the ideal position, remove the tape, making sure the wire is inside the channel of the tail, and the tail is in the proper position to interlock with the antenna teeth, and push down. There’s a little wiggle room, but not much, so be sure you’re all square before you affix it all the way.

One more thing, remember to put your rear seat back. Your 3rd and 4th passengers will thank you.

Problem solved! I now ALWAYS get full bars, where the internal solution never consistently performed above 3 of 10, and lots of times was 0 of 10. Plus, the wire is concealed everywhere except a 2 inch portion from the pillar under the seat. You wouldn’t see it if you weren’t looking for it.

NOTE: It’s important to leave the excess wire under the seat (as opposed to in the trunk), if you might like to run the cable behind the head unit someday. I’m currently using the Sirius unit’s built-in fm transmitter, but have purchased the Jazzy aux-in mod. When I get the time, I’m going to mount the Sirius unit in the cubby, and fish the wire all the way up the door/floor trim, above the pedals, and on to the back of the stereo. One mod at a time!!

Thanks for all the great advice I’ve received from many of you over the past 2 years. Hope this returns the favor for anyone considering the joys of satellite radio!!

another-look.thumb.jpg.e4e853feb490e0d6a7fe1343c94acf8e.jpg

closeup.thumb.jpg.e6ac803732899da57611fc4a3052ae93.jpg

wire-route.thumb.jpg.7d867636aef000a8bfbafdc8323a1aa0.jpg

in-from-outside.thumb.jpg.42f49de2ca61a3e7a735ce3165cf18f0.jpg

into-trunk.thumb.jpg.ca0361a16e3d0ea3a42c488648450de6.jpg

left-side-trunk.thumb.jpg.d5be99fdb573895fa953268f0ecabcb1.jpg

to-rear-seat.thumb.jpg.d7b356028fd4c9ce730c081f152509a5.jpg

in-from-trunk.thumb.jpg.669a131a24decc517e6b8333d6106ed9.jpg

indicator.thumb.jpg.f579c89011dc8ed1ca35e942c5ae6973.jpg

Holy crap. It's amazing. Mounted the sirius in the cubby too. Antenna wire fit by 2 inches.

How do you get the cubby out to run the wires. I have searched and found write ups that say to just pull on it. I pull as hard as I can and that thing will not pop out.

Also, don't you hate how short they make those antenna cords? If you run it the way they say you can barely get it to a good location and the only extention the sell is 25 or 50 FEET.

Hey Mevanvt,

I dremeled a small hole in the back driver's side bottom of the cubby. Since I already had the stereo out when doing the Jazzy aux-in install, this was really easy.

Then I did the same on the armrest cubby, eliminating the need to remove the center console. Seems like most of the problems on Jazzy install involved the center console. I decided to forgo that.

Anyway, I ran power from the armrest cubby, and the antenna along the driver's side, behind the carpet by the pedals, and up into the stereo area.

The result is totally stealth. Only pain in the ass was the wide radio shack right angle connector. I had to dremel it down to the metal to get it to fit. But it does. And the thing sounds great.

When I trade in, I'll just put the rubber cover back in the cubby, and lay the fabric one flat in the armrest, and no one will know the difference.

The antenna wire will be enough. You'll think it won't. But follow my path, and you'll just make it. I thought I might have to buy an extension. Glad it didn't have to!! Don't know where I would have stuffed it!

PICT0005.thumb.jpg.ed2d1317a33a857f8a8e7ea04d17045a.jpg

PICT0006.thumb.jpg.36ceffe8a90de4d079d8df3b00674c7d.jpg

PICT0007.thumb.jpg.b9e5a4a7b7ae4ddc9e7f1f849af2b9fd.jpg

wide flat trim puller - basically a dull pry bar - makes it easier.

Anywhere you can by these locally or do you have to order them on the internet? I really want to move my PnP sirius b/c now it's just taking up my cup holder!

...until I got to the turn that heads south toward the trunk. For the life of me, I couldn’t get it in there flush. There was a small gap that would probably leak during a hard rain...I suppose it just had to warm up and get a little more flexible. So if you can’t get the wire in fully, just be patient, park it in the sun (or hit it with a hair dryer), and come back a few moments later.

Great write-up and thanks for the info. I ran into this problem originally and gave up. The antenna has been on my trunk lid. Time to try again. :icon_wink

ProTUNED by RaminiSports :icon_mrgr

Anywhere you can by these locally or do you have to order them on the internet? I really want to move my PnP sirius b/c now it's just taking up my cup holder!

Should be able to find one at your local auto parts store, otherwise I know Crutchfield sells them under install tools.

Well, just finished this minutes ago. Went pretty well. The only hard part was running the wire along the window seal which went well except for the last 6" and for some reason the rubber kept getting pinched. I had a ton of antenna left suprisingly but my power cord was too short. I'll have have to go buy a radioshack extender and cut the cord to get it through a small hole. I didn't take out the center console because I didn't have the time so I just have the power cord going into the console and sticking out the side. To run the wires to the cubby I just used my trusty hanger and electrical tape which worked well. I have the sportster replay so i can't totally stealth it but at least I can look at it safely while driving now!!

edit: By the way that trim puller worked wonders. I had the cubby out in a minute

I mounted my antenna right on the third brake light's plastic base, between the rear window glass and the red plastic lense. No drilling,no wires outside,nothing physically outside the car. Have yet to have any recepetion issues.

I mounted my antenna right on the third brake light's plastic base, between the rear window glass and the red plastic lense. No drilling,no wires outside,nothing physically outside the car. Have yet to have any recepetion issues.

Quick question......are your windows tinted? The OP's windows are tinted so that may have some effect on reception. Just curious if that comes into play.

I used to have mine mounted next to the brake light. I generally had good reception but at between 3:30-4:30pm on the way home from work everyday it would break up really bad. I'll have to see how the reception improved now that i put it on the roof. I used to have it on the trunk in my old car and didn't have any issues.

Archived