LegacyGT.com

Looking to replace my rotors

Steve308

It's time to replace my pads and rotors on my 2005 Legacy GT, and I've been searching and reading through this forum looking for brake information. I am planning on ordering a set of the new Hawk HPS pads, which have finally become available, but while I find lots of pad topics, rotor topics are a bit scarce. What would recommendations be for a good rotor? I won't be tracking/autocrossing the vehicle, so I think that all the competition level rotors would be overkill. And while I'm not opposed to buying slotted rotors, I am in the process of buying a new house, so money is an issue. Would I be best off just buying a new set of OEM rotors? Or is there something better than won't cost a fortune?

Any advice/info would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks,

Steve

I had my original rotors replaced under warrantee, but the replacements (OEM) seem to be doing great. I changed to some nice pads (SS-M) and it's been great. With upgraded pads, I think stock rotors would be fine for street-only (and probably an occassional autox and light track). If you can get a good deal on them, I think you'd be fine.

I had my original rotors replaced under warrantee, but the replacements (OEM) seem to be doing great. I changed to some nice pads (SS-M) and it's been great. With upgraded pads, I think stock rotors would be fine for street-only (and probably an occassional autox and light track). If you can get a good deal on them, I think you'd be fine.

how you do that?

Current:MY05 SWP wagon - 253/290 :rolleyes: UP, AEM CAI, Invidia Q300, tuned@yimisport

OLD: MY06 GRP - 274/314 :cool:

You can get stock rotors for ~$65 a piece for the front ones if you buy them online. They seem to be holding up pretty well to light track use with SS-S pads.

Stay way from drilled rotors.

Slotted rotors are ok, but they eat pads up a lot faster.

how you do that?

Just depends on the dealer and situation. They tried resurfacing and that didn't work (I paid for the resurface). I noted I didn't autox, track, etc., and it seemed unacceptable for rotors to have this sort of problem this early.

As many have noted, if you get a decent set, OEM rotors are good and relatively cheap, especially for street use.

haha nice what pads were you using? The SS-Ms or meaner track pads?

I was doing some comparsions, but I used Carbotech XP10s and XP12s.. my SS-Ms are autox and street use only now.. I only used the SS-Ms for that one track day to see how "worthy" they are.. and the SS-Ms do their job when the task demands it. But I have resorted to using track dedicated pads instead and save the "dustless" pads for street use instead ;)

Keefe

I was doing some comparsions, but I used Carbotech XP10s and XP12s.. my SS-Ms are autox and street use only now.. I only used the SS-Ms for that one track day to see how "worthy" they are.. and the SS-Ms do their job when the task demands it. But I have resorted to using track dedicated pads instead and save the "dustless" pads for street use instead ;)

lol, that was after Keefe cracked two sets of RB rotors. The DBA rotors we supplied him held up to the 95+ degree ambient temps at VIR.... and kicked ass ;)

If this is for a street vehicle, I dont see the need to spend 3 times more on rotors. Just get OE blanks and be done with it. Perhaps get some Hawk or Cabotech ceramic based street pads that will be a little easier on rotor wear.

Free Sonax Cleaner Deal

http://www.brakeswap.com

Carbotech, Hawk, PFC, DBA Rotors, Motul, Wilwood, Castrol...

Great service. No bumping required :icon_tong!

Archived