LegacyGT.com

Ravelco Security Device

CorkyDeDe

To be fair, though, that's just one person's opinion, and I'd be curious to peruse some of the other car security forums to see if others have had similar experiences with their product. I've just been too lazy to do so. :)

-Mike

Re: cars with chips in the keys:

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/14.08/carkey_pr.html

The article is a little short on technical details, but the point is that no system is invulnerable, not even transponder keys. My Dad used to have me remove aftermarket alarm systems on the cars he bought to rebuild and sell - and I was 12 when I started removing those systems! Most had malfunctioned or been poorly installed and were causing more harm than good.

As for the Ravelco, it seems like a very complicated kill switch - when you remove the key fob, it essentially breaks the electrical connections to multiple circuits (starter, fuel pump, ECU, whatever).

The way we used to do it was just wire in a hidden toggle switch to kill the fuel pump - a thief could break in and bust out the ignition, but the car would never start. Thieves known to look for kill switches, however. You could use something like a DCCD or rear wiper switch as a kill switch, though - that would be very stealthy. Even better, use several switches in series.

-Ryan

Hmm... makes me wonder if the keyfob was plugged in on the thread I referenced. It doesn't say. I'd imagine it'd be quite easy to get the car started if there was a malfunction with the keyfob plugged in.

Good ideas on the stealth kill switches, BTW. As for towing, how effective is parking nose in with the wheels turned full lock in one direction? I know that where there's a will, there's a way, but I'm guessing every little bit helps.

-Mike

ok, doesn't prove anything. The article still said that most cars with a chip that are stolen are towed away.

Just as easy to tow a Ravelco equiped car

With the car in gear, unless its completely towed on a flatbed, the car wouldn't move with just 2 wheels on the ground would they?

But then again, all they have to do is break in the car to put it in neutral...

Archived