LegacyGT.com

Implications of JDM bumper swap

awd-turismo

Hi all, WRX owner here thinking of moving to the Legacy GT, but I'm really hooked on the JDM bumper look. Assuming that the JDM bumper requires a bumper beam swap, what are the ramifications as far as insurance, liability, etc.? I talked to an insurance underwriter. They said they'd still cover costs up to the USDM bumper price. My remaining fear is that if there was a serious (involving fatality) accident, could I be legally negligent for using non-conforming safety equipment and thus lose my insurance coverage? Yes, I could just not tell them and hope they don't discover it, but that doesn't give me much of a warm-and-fuzzy. Since the bumper reg's appear to be only for cost avoidance, I'd hope that there wouldn't be negligence. A court of law might have to decide that one. Thoughts/experiences? Thanks

I'd say there's almost no chance anyone will find out you had smaller bumper, especially if it's completely trashed in the accident. But how would a weaker front bumper impact your liability in an accident. AFAIk it's only to pass low speed bumper tests, otherwise it does little for passenger safety. I'd think it might even be worse, interfering with the designed crumple zone

I would bet that some fairly significant modifications have to occur to make the JDM bumper fit the USDM car, possibly removing or otherwise altering the front bumper beam. This would be quite easy to detect, and as your insurance underwriter said, you would then be toast. Kevin

[quote name='gtguy']I would bet that some fairly significant modifications have to occur to make the JDM bumper fit the USDM car, possibly removing or otherwise altering the front bumper beam. This would be quite easy to detect, and as your insurance underwriter said, you would then be toast. Kevin[/quote] yeah, if you hack it up with a sawzall. Not if you get a JDM bumper beam. Looks stock.

From personal experience: I had the JDM bumper beams and bumpers on my 2.5RS, I was in an accident. State Farm not only paid for 100% of the repairs, included in the claim was a new JDM bumper cover, beam and the shipping cost necessary to get the parts from overseas. I was up front with them, and they didn't even blink an eye. I did have receipts showing the costs of the modifications and they based their estimate off of that. My JDM bumper install on the RS required a few parts: Front only required a new bumper beam, everything went together fine. Bumper cover was the same USDM to JDM. Rear required a bumper beam, bumper cover, tag lights and a License Plate bracket. Parts provided by Japanparts.com For those interested...the bumpers are only on your car to protect it against low speed "bumps", the reason we get the 5 mph bumpers instead of the bumpers the rest of the world gets is Canada's regulations require it and it's cheaper to build all North American cars the same. (The U.S. only requires a 2.5 mph bumper). IMHO The safety structure of the car is still intact even if the bumpers are removed, in a higher speed collision the bumpers don't do much, if anything at all.

[quote name='Opie']From personal experience: I had the JDM bumper beams and bumpers on my 2.5RS, I was in an accident. State Farm not only paid for 100% of the repairs, included in the claim was a new JDM bumper cover, beam and the shipping cost necessary to get the parts from overseas. I was up front with them, and they didn't even blink an eye. I did have receipts showing the costs of the modifications and they based their estimate off of that. My JDM bumper install on the RS required a few parts: Front only required a new bumper beam, everything went together fine. Bumper cover was the same USDM to JDM. Rear required a bumper beam, bumper cover, tag lights and a License Plate bracket. Parts provided by Japanparts.com For those interested...the bumpers are only on your car to protect it against low speed "bumps", the reason we get the 5 mph bumpers instead of the bumpers the rest of the world gets is Canada's regulations require it and it's cheaper to build all North American cars the same. (The U.S. only requires a 2.5 mph bumper). IMHO The safety structure of the car is still intact even if the bumpers are removed, in a higher speed collision the bumpers don't do much, if anything at all.[/quote] When in doubt, BLAME CANADA!!111 :wink: :lol:

Yes, we are waiting for final confirmation of what is required in addition to the bumper beam as well as pricing. We will keep you posted. Kevin [email]kevin@kingofimports.com[/email] King of Imports, LLC [url]http://www.kingofimports.com[/url] [url=http://www.kingofimports.com][img]http://www.kingofimports.com/images/header-graphic-2.jpg[/img][/url]

[quote name='Drift Monkey']When in doubt, BLAME CANADA!!111 :wink: :lol:[/quote] :lol: I didn't mean it that way! :lol: It's actually Subaru's fault for wanting to save that .000035 cents on every car :lol:

[quote name='gtguy']I would bet that some fairly significant modifications have to occur to make the JDM bumper fit the USDM car, possibly removing or otherwise altering the front bumper beam. This would be quite easy to detect, and as your insurance underwriter said, you would then be toast. Kevin[/quote] But, my question now would be for those intrested in buying a STI front diffuser.. Would that fit the USDM bumper? That might be my reason for getting a JDM front bumper..But, I am also not crazy about having to buy the bumper..worry about the beam..then getting it painted and fitted correctly just to put a $500 diffuser on it.. Hmm..

[quote name='kevin@kingofimports.com']Yes, we are waiting for final confirmation of what is required in addition to the bumper beam as well as pricing. We will keep you posted. Kevin [email]kevin@kingofimports.com[/email] King of Imports, LLC [url]http://www.kingofimports.com[/url] [url=http://www.kingofimports.com][img]http://www.kingofimports.com/images/header-graphic-2.jpg[/img][/url][/quote] Kevin, for sure post details as soon as you know. I don't care about the rear bumper, but the front bumper of the JDM car looks much better than the USDM and I'd consider a swap if the price was right. Thanks.

[quote name='B4_Maniac'][quote name='gtguy']I would bet that some fairly significant modifications have to occur to make the JDM bumper fit the USDM car, possibly removing or otherwise altering the front bumper beam. This would be quite easy to detect, and as your insurance underwriter said, you would then be toast. Kevin[/quote] But, my question now would be for those intrested in buying a STI front diffuser.. Would that fit the USDM bumper? That might be my reason for getting a JDM front bumper..But, I am also not crazy about having to buy the bumper..worry about the beam..then getting it painted and fitted correctly just to put a $500 diffuser on it.. Hmm..[/quote] check out the Legacy B&W in the the photo section. there are LEGACYs with USDM bumper and lip

[quote name='Fuji_Heavy']Any word if the bumper will fit USDM cars? Any guess on how much it will cost?[/quote] I don't know if it will fit, but the cost will be outrageous right now. Look at the cost of small items for this car. Everything is being imported, so the high shipping is a good portion to blame. Hate to see the cost of trying to ship a bumper over. :roll: Its probably close to double what you would want to pay...if not more

Basically, base cost for a JDM (painted) front bumper cover, bumper beam, and all the misc. parts for a GT or Spec B bumper is roughly $750 USD before shipping. The dealer here warned me there may be a few odd $20's added to that for the parts that are different between the Spec B and GT. So add in a minimum of about $150 to $200 for shipping, and it costs at least $900 to $950 for me to ship a front bumper to the States (with minimal profit). Cheers, Paul Hansen [url]www.apexjapan.com[/url]

Archived